• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Graham shirts

BtA

Reaction score
So I'm a serious noob when it comes to developing my own style that doesn't consist of clearance-rack dept store clothes.

I work in an environment where people can wear whatever they want, no matter how ratty it is... So if I came in over-dressed, I don't think it would be appropriate. We're an IT shop, and pretty eclectic at that ... I've been looking at some Robert Graham shirts that have the contrasted cuffs ( link ) and I like them. I hear absolutely no mention of Robert Graham stuff here, and I'm wondering are they out of style or are they junk?

Thanks for helping out this guy who's finally learning how to dress himself.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend against them; contrast cuff make one look too eccentric, especially in a low-key environment.

Oxnard

Reaction score
A few years back I picked up a couple Robert Graham shirts at a discount store for about $40 each, needless to say I dont wear them anymore. Honestly the shirts are way too flashy and busy for myself, this is the kind of "going out clubbing shirts", and if you are willing to spend $200 on a shirt, there are some far better options (check out the forum affilliates at the top of the page)

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Robert Graham are very nice high quality shirts, but they are extremely loud for the most part.

If you are shopping at the Rack stores, try looking at some shirts that are a little more calm.

Bugatchi, Faconnable, and Tailorbyrd are a good start. Same fit too.

izlat

Reaction score
I have one 3-4 yrs old and is still one of my favorite summer casual shirts. However, it doesn't have contrasting cuffs (I don't like them) and while extremely variegated it's very different from the ones I now see in NM, Sacks, etc. - they seem just plain ugly
eh.gif

Honestly, I would buy a new RG shirt if I liked one but have not been able to see anything I would wear.

Other than this - the fabric on mine is very nice, thin and soft, and has held up well to numerous washings

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If Ted Baker is the poor man's Etro/Paul Smith....Robert Graham is the bum's.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I found a subtle paisley pattern shirt of theirs with french cuffs. I tailored the **** out of it and it was a beautiful shirt until I sold it due to being poor as ****.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple of fairly subtle patterned powder blue and black RG shirts. The quality is ok and I really like the fabric, but the cut!! I would also have to 'tailor the ****' out of them to get them to a nice fit. Both were presents from my fiance.

If I were shopping for a few reasonably priced casual shirts (I worked in a similar office environment to the one you describe), I'd start looking at Ben Sherman, Modern Amusement, Merc and a whole heap of other brands that the good folk here could no-doubt recommend.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The funny thing was that in the description it said "expertly tailored for the perfect fit", the small fit on me like a ******* poncho and I'm not a scrawny guy by any standard. I had it shortened 2-3 inches as well as slimmed significantly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads