• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Christgau

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, who's into Xgau, here?! In my opinion, he is an absolute genius. *looking forward to dumb, hipster 'he hates Radiohead' comments
drool.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never read any long-form criticism from him, but his essays and Consumer Guides are generally okay. For a rock critic.

Rock critics, as a rule, are ******* boring.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I've never read any long-form criticism from him, but his essays and Consumer Guides are generally okay. For a rock critic.

As opposed to.... what other kind of music critic?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz

You, obviously, haven't read any of his stuff.
teacha.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, obviously joined just to post that? Actually, if you don't like him, you are the fool!
deadhorse-a.gif
I mean, come on, his 3 fav albums, of all time, are 1. Misterioso, 2. The Clash (U.K.) and 3. New York Dolls?! Top fav artists 1. Louis Armstrong, 2. Thelonious Monk, 3. Chuck Berry, 4. The Beatles and 5. New York Dolls. What's not to love?!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christgau lost all credibility with me on 2001(?) when he started chearleading for Northern State. He gave their ******* demo four stars.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why.png
Lol, there are so many hipster bands who suck. King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Radiohead, U2, etc. Apparently, you need Xgau to tell you that! *rolls eyes The great thing about Xgau is, he can rate album by album, not by band!
wink.gif
Hay, Northern State are great (and clever)?! It was 2002, btw.

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Why.png

Lol, there are so many hipster bands who suck. King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Radiohead, U2, etc. Apparently, you need Xgau to tell you that! *rolls eyes

The great thing about Xgau is, he can rate album by album, not by band!
wink.gif

Hay, Northern State are great (and clever)?! It was 2002, btw.

Not sure if troll however U2 are possibly the least hipster band I can think of, and I don't even like them. Also In the Court is basically considered King Crimson's best album, so the idea of him rating it ignoring the bands reputation is a stupid statement seeing as their reputation is basically founded on that album.

Christgau obsessives are even worse than Scaruffi ones, at least Scaruffi explains his opinions properly and has a good idea of music history, Christgau just seems to have abstract, provocative opinions which aim to get a love/hate thing going for him, which unfortunately has suceeded.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I'm sure, U2 are old enough to now be considered cool by hipsters. 2. Xgau doesn't purposefully go out of his way to obfuscate. He is a well educated, smart writer. Read more. That is all. 3. Your point about King Crimson is..? They are rated off that first album. One, that is dumb (to not rate each album, separately) and two they suck—go figure! 4. It's only his opinion people! People always bash him for the wrong reasons—his education, writing ability, ears, etc. 5. Northern State are good. As are Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne (who are other moron targets).

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
1. I'm sure, U2 are old enough to now be considered cool by hipsters.
2. Xgau doesn't purposefully go out of his way to obfuscate. He is a well educated, smart writer. Read more. That is all.
3. You point about King Crimson is..? They are rated off that first album. One that is dumb (to not rate each album, separately) and two they suck"”go figure!
4. It's only his opinion people! People always bash him for the wrong reasons"”his education, writing ability, ears, etc.
5. Northern State are good. As are Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne (who are other moron targets).

1. No.
2. I've read a fair bit and I feel he does, for example the fact he seems to despise King Crimson yet seems to enjoy Pink Floyd and Yes just seems a bit ridiculous, like he's going against the grain for the sake of it.
3. I was referring to the fact you made a point of the fact that he rated each album by it's own merits instead of the rest of the bands work and reputation in response to me talking about In the Court, which I responded to by saying it's considered their best, it's really not that hard to understand what I was getting at.
4. It may be his opinion but the work of a critic is to also be objective in some way, to offer an insight as to how a certain album has influenced a genre and how important it was shaping the future of music to come. Christgau does not do this, instead simply dismissing an album completely and aggressively. To refer back to the King Crimson (again) the album is is very influential, although the genre debatably had other starting points, it is, along with one or two other albums, considered as the first album of the genre. In my mind this alone, even if the album sounded like complete ****, easily means it is worth far higher than a D+.
5. Oh **** you're a troll.
facepalm.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Popol Vuh
1. No. 2. I've read a fair bit and I feel he does, for example the fact he seems to despise King Crimson yet seems to enjoy Pink Floyd and Yes just seems a bit ridiculous, like he's going against the grain for the sake of it. 3. I was referring to the fact you made a point of the fact that he rated each album by it's own merits instead of the rest of the bands work and reputation in response to me talking about In the Court, which I responded to by saying it's considered their best, it's really not that hard to understand what I was getting at. 4. It may be his opinion but the work of a critic is to also be objective in some way, to offer an insight as to how a certain album has influenced a genre and how important it was shaping the future of music to come. Christgau does not do this, instead simply dismissing an album completely and aggressively. To refer back to the King Crimson (again) the album is is very influential, although the genre debatably had other starting points, it is, along with one or two other albums, considered as the first album of the genre. In my mind this alone, even if the album sounded like complete ****, easily means it is worth far higher than a D+. 5. Oh **** you're a troll.
facepalm.gif

1. Lol, a troll? I was thinking the same about you! 2. He likes/dislikes a band for good reasons unlike most critics who listen to a CD one time and rate it due to how 'cool' it is (*looking at Pitchfork). 3. If a band/album is **** he gives an according grade. He can't help it if said ****** music shapes music to come, for morons such as yourself. Why would you write about how a band has influenced music when they are terrible, that would make you even madder, no? 4. Your point was, wah, wah, wah he doesn't like your fav band, no?! An album deserves the grade he gives it. He himself has changed grades, on the odd occasion. He doesn't like prog, in general, or metal, etc. Neither do I. Boo hoo. 5. You were 'getting at' that he should take the band seriously because they have a reputation? Urgh, I am still surprised when I meet people from the lower end of the human gene pool. 6. FWIW/btw, 'Red' was their best album!
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads