• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robbed at gunpoint

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 3am and I just got home.

I went out this evening to have some dinner and drinks with friends and see some live music. At the end of the evening, a friend was giving me a ride home so we headed back to his car. Just as we arrived where we were parked, I noticed that a man who had been walking behind us was getting in the way of my friend getting into the car. Then I saw the gun. He demanded our wallets, cell phones, and the car keys, which we relinquished immediately. As soon as he sped off, I sprinted down the street and stopped the first people we found and asked to use their cell phone to call 911.

Within a few minutes, a police car showed up to the street corner where we had made the call from, and the officer asked us to explain the situation and make recorded statements about what had happened. Not sooner had we done that the cop told us that they had recovered the vehicle and had perpetrator in custody. We headed over to the location where the car was found, but had to wait in the back of the police car as detectives combed the scene for evidence.

While we were waiting for the all clear, the cops let us watch the chase video. Seriously, it was like the coolest thing ever. It started with the patrol car spotting the vehicle and started to tail it, but from a distance (no lights or sirens on). The perp seemed to notice this as he gradually took more and more desperate measures in an attempt to escape. Finally his reckless nearly caused an accident; at that point the police car flipped on the lights and the chase was on. They sped through a subdivision until reaching a dead end with a fence. The perp bolted out of the car and hopped the fence. Now this is where the story gets really good--what the perp didn't know is that there was about a 10 foot drop in ground level on the other side of this particular fence. In his injured state, he had no hope of getting away and was taken into custody soon afterward. From carjacking to capture took less than 20 minutes.

Fortunately, we got our wallets back with all cash and cards still intact, the car hadn't been damaged, and nothing in the trunk had been touched. However, the cell phones seem to have been dumped somewhere, and the police were not able to locate them.

So now my phone seems to be totally gone. It was an iPhone, but neither Apple or AT&T offer any service for locating or deactivating stolen iPhones, and there is no insurance offered for them either. So anyone can just take my stolen phone, register it for service and there's not a damn thing I can do about it except pay full retail for a new phone. Seriously, if Microsoft tried to pull this bullshit you'd never hear the end of it. Why does Apple get a free pass for being such an evil *************? **** Apple and **** AT&T. I never thought I'd say this, but Windows Mobile FTMFW. My friend had a smartphone and he only need call his provider, and they will send a command to his phone wipes all his personal data and permanently disable it, and then send him on his way with a new phone.

So apparently I will be subpoenaed to go to court to testify. The cop told us that the perpetrator will be going away for a long time, likely 15+ years. While that may seem harsh just for just taking a car and a little money, I now realize that if something happened that startled him during the exchange, I could just as well be lying on a coroner's table right now.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you and your friend are ok, but sorry to hear about your phones. At least you got a cool story out of it!

I wonder how may posts before someone brags they could have taken the perp out with kung fu.

flipster

Reaction score
You my friend, are a lucky man. A good story, and you and your friend are still alive: that's def. worth an iPhone, right?

jjgold

Reaction score
Uh Dude, No offence....I am happy you are ok BUT, WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT YOUR STUPID CELL PHONE! You were held up at gun point, had your **** stolen and it turned out you are relatively unscathed. Be grateful it was not worse and play the lotto today. It sounds like this could be your weekend.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where was this?

Agree with others that the cell phone is largely irrelevant. You are very lucky. Think about it: you even got your car back without damage.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipster
You my friend, are a lucky man. A good story, and you and your friend are still alive: that's def. worth an iPhone, right?

what he said: many people fare far, far worse than you have in the same situation.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. I might have had a heart attack on the spot.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was the adrenaline rush?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I wonder how may posts before someone brags they could have taken the perp out with kung fu.

Yes, if you had studied the art of the eagle fist you could have taken the gun from his hand faster than he could have reacted with the unfolding lotus technique, then removed his still beating heart with the deadly claw of the seven brothers.

No seriously, bad luck about the phones but apart from that it sounds like it couldn't have worked out better. I have never had a gun pointed at me, I imagine it was quite unpleasant.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I've had my car jacked before at gunpoint too. It's really scary ****. Glad to hear it turned out okay.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have shot him back...

Seriously, good to hear you made it out okay.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
glad you made out ok, and that nobody was hurt. could have been a lot worse

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads