Robb Report article on Frank Shattuck

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by uriahheep, Mar 3, 2005.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

What kind of tailor risks his hands by boxing (or sparring)? I find that to be interesting.

2. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

Good question. Craftsmen really need to be careful. Ditto people like surgeons. They're always risking their livelihoods. A surgeon friend suffered a wrecked shoulder while skiing. The cost of taking time off was prohibitive, so he's gone over a decade without any treatment for the shoulder. Luckily for him he's made good money and could retire if he wanted, he's simply a workaholic.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

not covered by insurance?

4. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

Apparently it would have cost quite a bit for the medical group he was a part of to find a locum tenens to fill in for him, even though it would have been for a very short time - I think something in the neighborhood of $10,000/day. Locum tenens work can be extremely lucrative, if they don't mind the "transient" lifestyle.

5. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Two bespoke clothing enthusiasts that I know feel that Mr. Shattuck is the BEST of the BEST.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

I've got a friend that does this part of the year. The rest of the year, he makes very little doing research "for the greater good" at a large institute in the US. (I was surprised really that these MD/PHD guys doing disease research don't make a heck of a lot of money). The locum tenens work, he claims, allows him to live fairly decently, the rest of the year.

7. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

MG? Say it ain't so.
    I would never buy a suit from Mimmo Spano. To his credit, when we spoke he made it very clear that he is just a designer and not a tailor. It's the silly publications that write of various designers as being tailors when they may not be.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have an hard time believing he is better than some of the European tailors.