• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rob Corddry on the Daily Show

Brian SD

Reaction score
Has anyone been noticing the clothes he's been wearing? I believe tonight it was a high-stance two-button charcoal w/ pinstripes, slightly concave shoulders, very slim, a muted blue shirt and a very nicely knotted tie. I'm very impressed by his ensembles consistently, although he does tend to wear his sleeves a bit long which many of you frown deeply upon.
biggrin.gif
Here's a very poor quality picture:
corddry.jpg

alchimiste

Reaction score
Who is he?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Actually, yeah. His threads tonight (a rerun from the 2nd) made me want to post on here, too. Ties are always nicely done, jacket buttoned up, spread collars, vivid colors. I think a script used to flash at the end of the show saying all the suits are by Canali.

johnw86

Reaction score
I've noticed the spread collars as much as the suits. They do a nice job of framing his ties.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
On the other hand,does anyone know John Ziegenthaller(sp?) on the weekend news? (Sometimes he fills in on the Today show).I've never seen a more dated collection of dropped lapels,wide shoulders,and tired 80's style than this guy's wardrobe.
whatsthat.gif

Phil

Reaction score
and dont forget the toupee. And if that dead animal on his head is not a toupee, and just a crappy hair cut, I might feel even worse about it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed the spread collars as well, just forgot to list them on the things he does right. Jon Stewart seems to always dress properly and put together well, albeit a bit conservatively... Corddry really steals the show in that department.

Whether or not you agree with the general leaning of the Daily Show (to the "left" as many would put it), it's pure hilarity. It's a political comedy show, equivalent to perhaps an internet blog.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon Stewart Leibowitz's show is pathetic.
If your last name is Leibowitz, why would you want people to think you are related to Martha Stewart?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ran into Rob Corddry in the old today's man store on 6th ave in NYC about 2 years ago. This was before he shaved off that little tuft of hair above his forehead. I was with my son at the time who loves the daily show. Of course I embarrassed my son by stopping Corddry and telling him that we loved his work on the show. I guess I should have given him my card back then. This was all prior to him hiring a stylist(I am assuming here) and re working his look. He used to dress rather poorly. Now he is as sharp as tack. I do think his tie knots are tied a bit too big. Carl www.cego.com

Etruscan

Reaction score
I trust I'm not the only member troubled by the apparent anti-Semitism of gratuitously using a performer's birth name against him. Some might say that avoiding this irrational and pernicious bias, which was the root of the greatest atrocity of the last century, would be impetus enough.

Although the practice is less common now than formerly (mirroring overdue advances against prejudice in society at large) many in the performing arts in the English-speaking world, both Jews and Gentiles, have changed their original surnames to reflect a more 'mainstream' identity.

For example, Anne Bancroft was born Anna Maria Italiano--a lovely name which if retained for the stage at the time she was coming up would probably have consigned her permanently to 'ethnic' roles. Would she have been cast as Helen Keller's teacher, Annie Sullivan, or as suburban siren Mrs. Robinson if she had kept her 'real' name? At that time, perhaps not.

Similarly, while to most Americans, the name Richard Jenkins probably seems of indeterminate British origin, in the U.K., Jenkins is immediately recognized as a Welsh surname. Thus the actor born under that name changed it to Richard Burton, again to avoid the ethnic type-casting then rife on the London stage.

As an interesting parallel, in the early twentieth century, many boxers of various ethnicities adopted professional names to suggest the Irish origin associated with such champions of the ring as John L. Sullivan.

I imagine a comparable phenomenon, in which individuals adapt their ethnic names to the dominant (or perceived-dominant) culture, may occur in countries where other languages are spoken.

Finally, I certainly don't know why Jon Stewart chose that as his professional name, but as he alludes proudly and often to his Jewish identity, it seems clear to me that the self-hatred that anti-Semites might assume was his motivation played no part in the decision.

Etruscan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads