• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roanoke, VA

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
CROATOAN​

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Charlottesville's got more decent restaurants than Richmond and Roanoke put together.

I can't believe a thread about Roanoke is 3 pages long
smile.gif

As someone who lives in Richmond but has spent a ton of time in Charlottesville, I mostly agree with this. CVille has a ton of money and is relatively small, which explains that to some degree. Richmond is without question better than its rep regionally and nationally, but it's a bit harder to find a standout. They are here though.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Charlottesville's got more decent restaurants than Richmond and Roanoke put together.

As a Charlottesville resident, I can attest to this. The major things that Richmond has going for it are Mama Zu and its sister restaurant Ido Squid (sp??), as Charlottesville lacks decent Italian food.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper
As a Charlottesville resident, I can attest to this. The major things that Richmond has going for it are Mama Zu and its sister restaurant Ido Squid (sp??), as Charlottesville lacks decent Italian food.
Richmond also has The Jefferson Hotel, which is wonderful.

I've not had any good restaurant dining experiences in either Richmond or Charlottesville, but it's mainly because I'm visiting with folks who cook at home.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Richmond also has The Jefferson Hotel, which is wonderful.

I'll have to add that to my list. As nice as Charlottesville is, it can be repetitive.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No love for Richmond dining? Many years ago, I was in Richmond quite a bit on business and remember having fine meals at Havana 59, Davis and Main, Sam Miller's, Tobacco Company, the dearly departed Frog and the Redneck . . .

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
No love for Richmond dining? Many years ago, I was in Richmond quite a bit on business and remember having fine meals at Havana 59, Davis and Main, Sam Miller's, Tobacco Company, the dearly departed Frog and the Redneck . . .
I did have a good meal at the Tobacco Company about a year ago. I didn't consider it as fine dining but it wasn't too bad.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Hotel Roanoke - the only option for you - so far, so good.

Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse and the Texas Tavern represent the two opposite ends of the spectrum within walking distance. Alexander's is somewhere in between but certainly closer to the FR's end.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Havana 59 - bar and esp roof deck OK, food meh
Davis & Main - has changed hands several times, meh
Sam Miller's - tourist trap but not terrible
Tobacco Company - tourist trap and terrible, avoid
Frog and the Redneck - overhyped while it was open

Approved:
Helen's
Avalon
Cafe Rustica
Chez Foushee (lunch only)
Cielito Lindo
Mekong
Edo's Squid
Enoteca Sogno
Mamma 'Zu
Millie's
LuLu's
Coppola's (Carytown location)
Six Burner
The Track
Kitchen 64
Croaker's Spot

There are plenty more, just scratching the surface. For its size, Richmond has a lot of good restaurants.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper

Lemaire - the more formal restaurant at the Jefferson Hotel is very nice and usually well reviewed but I'd opt for One North Belmont if looking for a "fine dining" Frenchy kind of dinner.

Richmond has Italian well covered:

Mamma 'Zu - total dump but outstanding family style Italian
Edo's Squid - same family as MZ, very good, less of a dump
Enoteca Sogno - run by a MZ alum
Amici - in Carytown, nice outdoor dining spot out front if nice weather
La Grotta - in Shockoe Slip, pretty traditional northern-ish Italian
27 - same family as LG, much more "new" Italian
Maldini's - solid basics, same family as Piccola Italia, Mary Angela's, Arianna's etc
Sensi - also new italian to go with its slicked up, old warehouse space

I'm forgetting many, I'm sure.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Lemaire - the more formal restaurant at the Jefferson Hotel is very nice and usually well reviewed but I'd opt for One North Belmont if looking for a "fine dining" Frenchy kind of dinner.

I've never had dinner at Lemaire at The Jefferson but I hear that it's good. However, I can vouch for the good breakfast they provide.

My experience with The Jefferson is mainly lodging. I stay there about once a year; however, last year during my visit I ended up at the Omni, which by the way is how I ended up eating at Tobacco Company across the street. The Omni didn't come close to the service and all around experience that The Jefferson provides.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've never had dinner at Lemaire at The Jefferson but I hear that it's good. However, I can vouch for the good breakfast they provide.

My experience with The Jefferson is mainly lodging. I stay there about once a year; however, last year during my visit I ended up at the Omni, which by the way is how I ended up eating at Tobacco Company across the street. The Omni didn't come close to the service and all around experience that The Jefferson provides.

True enough - Lemaire really shines at breakfast/brunch.

If SoCal ever finds himself forced to visit Richmond, The Jefferson is the only option. . . . .

Although the Linden Row Inn, which is several old townhouses cobbled together into what may be Richmond's only boutique hotel is kind of cool - especially the parlour suites.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of lodging and dining in Virginia, The Homestead, north of Roanoke in Hot Springs, provides the best of both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads