Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Road trip to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

For Boston:

I don't think there is anything special about The Other Side. Nothing that spectacular about the menu and the food is good i guess.

Sunset Grille has a huge beer selection but might be a bit out of the way for you (allston/brighton).

Bukowskis has locations in back bay and in cambridge so depending on where you are you can go there for a great beer selection and better than average bar food.

North End (little italy area) might be worth it if you want solid italian or pastries.

The freedom trail is kinda cool if you're with some friends and the weather is nice

Bleacher Bar is really cool if a baseball game is going on as the bar/restaurant is basically inside the green monster http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/47IRT...L25Zk1pMJmwtfA . A nice piece of boston to be pretty much inside fenway park like that.

Breakfast in boston consider Mike's city diner and Charlie's Sandwich Shop (both in south end area). They're 2 of the more recommended places and are both great breakfast options

Shopping in Boston. I don't know what clothes you're into but here are the good stores

Alan Bilzerian, Stel's, Barneys coop, Louis Boston, Drinkwater's

Hope all of that helps

I was mentioning The Other Side for beer, not food. Should have been more explicit.

Not a fan of Mike's Diner. I live around the corner from Mike's and I don't see what is special about it.

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I was mentioning The Other Side for beer, not food. Should have been more explicit.

Not a fan of Mike's Diner. I live around the corner from Mike's and I don't see what is special about it.

I live nearby as well and i prefer Charlie's but i know a lot of people enjoy Mike's and it got some hype after the diners drive ins and dives episode

3. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

4. chessman305

chessman305 Senior member

If you just want to go to the famous tourist-type cheesesteak places then yeah, pats and ginos. but, if you want the best tasting cheesesteak, go to Delasandros in roxborough, or even jim's

5. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

If you just want to go to the famous tourist-type cheesesteak places then yeah, pats and ginos. but, if you want the best tasting cheesesteak, go to Delasandros in roxborough, or even jim's

I've heard tale of this Jim's. If I happen to see it and I'm hungry at the time, I may swing by.

By the way, should I stick with the whiz wit at both Pat and Gino's, or should I give the provolone a go at Gino's?

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've heard tale of this Jim's. If I happen to see it and I'm hungry at the time, I may swing by.

By the way, should I stick with the whiz wit at both Pat and Gino's, or should I give the provolone a go at Gino's?

I did the dualing cheesesteaks, I preferred Gino's personally. Whiz wit both times, I suggest you do the same. Apples to apples.

7. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

For Boston, try "Upstairs on the Square" in Harvard Square for breakfast. Voted by the food channel to have the country's best eggs benedict.

It seems you are a cigar smoker. Go to

http://www.ljperetti.com/

Tons of hard to get cigars without that absurd increase in MSRP.

I also really like "les Zygomates" for dinner. Instead of the "Union Oyster House" (which is cool to visit due to its history, but the food sucks) try "the Barking Crab"

I also think "Cragie's on Main" is excellent, as is the restaurant across the streets, "Salts"

I'd also go to the ICA for sure.

8. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Re: MFA - be sure to check out the wall upstairs near the special exhibit hall. I think it is called 'symphony of objects, humans, and birds cumming and shitting.' Maybe that masterpiece is not there anymore.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Uh, too lazy to read all the other responses... I just went to Boston a few weeks ago and did a few hours research on what to see and do... of everything we did, the highlights were

Cupcake shop (forgot the name but a search will bring it up),
    the Ralph Lauren store (Newberry Street? awesome vibe, building, selection, etc)

10. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Shopping in Boston. I don't know what clothes you're into but here are the good stores

Alan Bilzerian, Stel's, Barneys coop, Louis Boston, Drinkwater's

Hope all of that helps

There's no Coop in Boston, only the regular Barneys.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Wayfarer, one vote for provolone wit. Cheese wiz tastes like it was concocted in a lab, which coincidentally....

I don't fight wiz wit because many have sentimental attachments and that's cool. But you're a foodie so....

~ H

12. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

For Boston, try "Upstairs on the Square" in Harvard Square for breakfast. Voted by the food channel to have the country's best eggs benedict.

It seems you are a cigar smoker. Go to

http://www.ljperetti.com/

Tons of hard to get cigars without that absurd increase in MSRP.

I also really like "les Zygomates" for dinner. Instead of the "Union Oyster House" (which is cool to visit due to its history, but the food sucks) try "the Barking Crab"

I also think "Cragie's on Main" is excellent, as is the restaurant across the streets, "Salts"

I'd also go to the ICA for sure.

Nice suggestions. Upstairs only serves breakfast during Sunday Brunch though, I don't think they do a daily breakfast. If you are after a weekday breakfast on that side of the river, just walk a few blocks to Henrietta's Table in The Charles Hotel.

Peretti's is a great little smoke shop, as well as Gloucester St Cigars in the Back Bay. Jose at Gloucester is good friends with Pete Johnson of Tatuaje, and he came up with the idea of the Monster Series, ie "The Frank" last year.

13. chessman305

chessman305 Senior member

I've been to Pat's several times, never Gino's. If your going to Pat's get the cheese whiz (if you want onions ask for a "whiz wit;" no onions, "whiz witout." I've heard that they pretty much taste the same, and you'll probably even be full after just one sandwich so good luck eating two.

But yeah, would recommend the other places over Pat's/Gino's based purely off of taste.

14. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Just to follow up in Boston. For food, a good casual feel, quality bartenders (good place to eat at the bar near the rawbar) with fresh seafood and excellent BBQ in the same location is the East Coast Grill which is right next to the Cambridge Bukowski's. I'll also second Cragie's on Main, one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Finally if you are in Jamaica Plain, try Ten Tables, but make your reservations soon, as the name may suggest, they only have ten tables, it fills up.

15. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Thanks for all the replies. One last bump before I head out.