• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road bike suggestions?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, thanks to the various hurricanes the past year, my local XC trail park was demolished and who knows when it will be repaired, thus I have decided to take up road biking. My price limit is about $1200 (although anything south of $1000 would be better). Also, at the moment I bike at least 17 miles (often times about 40 miles) a week with my XC bike (and no, I’m not on slicks) and I’m looking for something that can keep up with my riding without needing anything outside of the normal tune-ups (save for unforeseen problems like shredding a tire). I have been looking at: Trek 1000 ($709.99): http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...id=1413000&f=3 Trek 1500 ($1149.99): http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...id=1440000&f=3 Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo 1 (2006 model $1250, but I can get it for about $200 less): http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...el-7RA81D.html Any ideas / recommendations / tips (fitting, etc…I haven’t road biked before) would be appreciated. Jon.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Trek 1000 - it represents a good value IMO, nice light aluminum frame, decent stock components, and you can get great deals on previous season's models if you shop around.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of the Treks, especially the 1000, seem like a great value IMO. The component spec is great for that price level. I've never tried any of the Trek bikes similar to the ones you displayed so I can't comment on fit or ride. However, I would avoid the Cannondale, upgrading that frameset will be difficult.

A.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Both of the Treks, especially the 1000, seem like a great value IMO. The component spec is great for that price level. I've never tried any of the Trek bikes similar to the ones you displayed so I can't comment on fit or ride. However, I would avoid the Cannondale, upgrading that frameset will be difficult.

A.

By "upgrading the frameset" do you mean components? Because most the components on the C-Dale are Shimano 105, which I have read / been told are the best, longest lasting components for their weight you can get.

Apparently the difference between mid-price and high-priced road bikes is the amount of weight you save, i.e. the components shift with the same accuracy at both price points, but the weight of the components drops (although not dramatically, although I guess when you are competing everything changes...) as the price of the bike climbs.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I'm very happy with my Trek 1000 - it represents a good value IMO, nice light aluminum frame, decent stock components, and you can get great deals on previous season's models if you shop around.

In all honesty though, I don't want to upgrade the components later on. I'd rather pay more upfront and not mess around with the bike later on (save for changing the seat / tires {not wheels}).

Jon.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Trek 1500 and Cannondale CAAD8 are very comparable. The only significant difference is the cranks (in favor of the 1500). I'd testride them both, and go with your gut.

I ride a CAAD7 myself, and love it. You really can't go wrong with the Cannondale frames, they are amongst the absolute best. Compare the welds, you'll probably see better craftmanship in the Cannondale. I also think the C'dale is designed better and to higher tolerances: look at how close the rear wheel of the C'dale is to the seat tube. My Cannondale was made in the USA, I don't know if that's still the case, but that's another consideration (if that's important to you).

A cool thing with the Cannondales is that they are race proven. They take the exact same frame, and build it up with fancy components, and it's the tour de france race bike. In otherwords, at one time, the CAAD7 was ridden in all the grand tours. Same with the CAAD 8 and 9. The same can't be said of that particular Trek frame.

Regarding fit, you're going to be much more forward on a road bike than mountain, and it's going to feel squirrely. You get used to these things. Try to let your core support your upper body and resist the temptation to lock your elbows.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fact that it's made in the USA and not in Taiwan or mainland China is a plus on the C-Dale column. Trek does make some of its bikes in the US, but those are way out of my price range (the Madone's are made in US for example; although Lance has always ridden stock Trek frames to win the Tour...from the 5200 to the Madone SSLX).

The CAAD did look like it was really well made, and I personally don't buy into the whole stigma of "˜crack n' fail' when it comes to C-Dale frames, especially since the problem (which was years ago) was on mountain bikes and not road bikes. Neither bike has compact frames, so that's a plus for both. The local Trek dealer has 5 (or 7? I forget) stores in SoFLA, including two in Boca, and they have a Trek concept store as well.

I saw a few Trek 1200's (2006 models) in stock at the LBS, and I'm sure I can get good deals on them, especially since Trek has discontinued the 1200 in favor of adding the higher-end 1600. At the same time, the 1500 has a better frame and it's made out of a better material (SLR {1500} vs. SL {1200}). My Trek XC 6500 is made out of SLR and so far has proven to be perfect in every situation.

The problem I read about the CAAD 8 online on biking forums is that the stock wheels are crap and come out of true all the time and even the shop has a hard time setting them back, so I'm going to have to replace the wheel set if I get the C-Dale. At the same time, I'm not planning on going up the Alpe d'Huez, so it might be a long time before they actually come out of true...frankly, I have no idea.

Jon.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
$1200 huh.....buy twentyfour honda chalys
smile.gif

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
I notice you didn't mention Specialized. I personally ride a Tarmac Expert and I love it. I also looked at the C-dales and the Trek 5.2, but found that the Tarmac fit me better and was a bit "snappier." That bike just begs to be ridden fast, and it accelerates quicker than anything else I rode.

You can find Tarmac Comps on ebay and on Craigslist from time to time, and they should be right in your price range.

Hoya

ATM

Reaction score
I've been looking at Felt road bikes lately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads