• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RN Numbers on garments

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what these are for and what they signify?
Quota, origin etc?

fkl118

Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but I think they identify the manufacturer. I have a couple items that I know are from the same manufacturer and have the same RN numbers, even though they are all different brands.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They identify the manufacturer...sort of. If you have a brand that sells goods in the US but doesn't actually have it's own factories. Their product will all have the same RN #. Check outthis site for a more in depth answer.

Pressfan

Reaction score
From the F.T.C. website: "A registered identification number or RN is a number issued by the Federal Trade Commission, upon request, to a business residing in the U.S. that is engaged in the manufacture, importing, distribution, or sale of textile, wool, or fur products. Such businesses are not required to have RNs. They may, however, use the RN in place of a name on the label or tag that is required to be affixed to these products." Click on the RN Database - Search link to find information about the manufacturer/importer: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/rn/ The Canadian equivalent is the CA Number administered by the Competition Bureau: http://cb-bc.gc.ca/epic/internet/inc.../cp01120e.html You can find out interesting information from these numbers, such as the fact that the J. Press shirts made in Canada are made by The John Forsyth Shirt Company Ltd. of Cambridge, Ontario and the U.S. made button-downs are from Hathaway (old stock?).

fkl118

Reaction score
Interesting, now I'm going to have to look up all the numbers on my clothes.
lookaround.gif

JDMcDaniel

Reaction score
This thread contains the most useful information I have seen on this site in a month (and that is not a slight to the SF). I wonder how many people are reading it?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You can find out interesting information from these numbers, such as the fact that the J. Press shirts made in Canada are made by The John Forsyth Shirt Company Ltd. of Cambridge, Ontario...
That's interesting. I think there were some Forsyth branded shirts at Marshall's the other day. I had dismissed them but may have to re-evaluate.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. Can anyone tell me where to look, and what kind of garments will have this number? Which tag am I looking for? Pics would be excellent. Thanks.

fkl118

Reaction score
They're usually on the fabric tag, sometimes on the back of it. This from the tag in the breast pocket of an overcoat: It has an RN and CA number.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember back a decade or so when the canadian dollar was high and canadians were doing a lot of cross border shopping but wearing clothing home and not declaring it, the way canada customs would sometimes catch goods (this was before NAFTA and there was still duty on items) was by checking the tag and seeing if it only had an RN number, evidencing it was a for usa sale garment

(most clothing only had one or the other not both an RN and CA number back then so it was an easy exercise)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i remember back a decade or so when the canadian dollar was high and canadians were doing a lot of cross border shopping but wearing clothing home and not declaring it, the way canada customs would sometimes catch goods (this was before NAFTA and there was still duty on items) was by checking the tag and seeing if it only had an RN number, evidencing it was a for usa sale garment
Did that mean that you have to pay tariffs everytime you cross the border and back again
sad.gif
Seriously, I think that that is a (Canadian) urban legend. Personal items (i.e. clothing without tags that you are actually wearing on your body, or used clothing without tags) have always been exempt.

JohnMS

Reaction score
So an older Polo tie I have says MOUNTAIN ROSE (USA) L.L.C....who is that? I've never been that impressed with the Polo blue line of ties in the inability to get a good dimple in the knot.

Interesting. I think I'm the only person in the state that wondered what the RN meant. Great information. Thanks.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought that all of the Polo ties were made by Fogel NEckwear. Formally of West 28th Street, NYC. Now out of business.

They may have used some lower priced factories in the south for outlet work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics