• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMW - Proportion of boots to hem of jeans?

yeayea

Reaction score
quick RMW question -

i tried them on with a pair of 514s and they didnt quite to fit with the look. i usually wear my 514s with puma romas which seem to fit together.

what should i wear with RMWs? i thought they would go with casual wear (denim) as well as slacks or a suit. Am i correct with this?

the 514 are slightly too large for me (my body type is changing due to new diet and exercise) so that might have thrown the look off.

Plus im not used to the pointy toe look, so i might just be self-conscious

not a specific question here - looking for some guidance before i drop $250+ on a pair of shoes..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
quick RMW question -

i tried them on with a pair of 514s and they didnt quite to fit with the look. i usually wear my 514s with puma romas which seem to fit together.

what should i wear with RMWs? i thought they would go with casual wear (denim) as well as slacks or a suit. Am i correct with this?

the 514 are slightly too large for me (my body type is changing due to new diet and exercise) so that might have thrown the look off.

Plus im not used to the pointy toe look, so i might just be self-conscious

not a specific question here - looking for some guidance before i drop $250+ on a pair of shoes..

Unfortunately this isn't really a quick question, there are a lot of factors that go into wearing dressier boots/shoes with jeans. The proportions and shapes have to be right to go together, for example, a person with a 30 waist is going to have a small hem on any pair of jeans, but if he has a size 11 foot he will need to take that into account when selecting shoes. The opposite is also true, a large hem and a small or 'size-appearance-minimizing' shoe/boot will also look odd because the toe will only peek out. This is part of the reason why awful platypus toe shoes are popular with bootcut flarez - they will not disappear no matter what the person's foot size is.

It would probably be very helpful if we could put together a pictorial guide to how to put these concepts in action, because as I said it's hard to explain in text.

yeayea

Reaction score
j -

yeah, after i started writing the post, i realized that it would not be as simple as i originally thought.

its even hard to explain just why the boots looked 'off'
i wish i had taken a pic when i was trying them on

anyway i had 32" waist jeans on at the time. i would probably fit a 30" at this point (hence the baggyness i mentioned) - the hem is somewhat tight and the shoe looked too pronounced (again, unless it was just my being not used to pointy toe shoes) - but then again, the salesman had a pair of craftsmen on and they seemed much less pronounced

i realize that the quality is incredible and they are amazing boots, however i dont want to make the investment until i am 100% certain they will work for me (great boots arent worth much if they only see the inside of my closet)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They may not be the right shape for you. The toe shape can really make a difference - for example a squared-off toe will tend to visually shorten your foot as compared to a pointed or rounded toe.

I'm going to move this out into its own thread because I think it's a useful discussion we could use more input on.

yeayea

Reaction score
cool.. thanks..

i can post some pics of the jeans in question when i get home tonight if you think it will help.. new shoes/boots are next on my list and i want to get this figured out..

tounge.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were the jeans hemmed, stacked, or rolled? I find it makes a huge difference with ankle boots (although I think all three look good with Craftsmen...).

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Were the jeans hemmed, stacked, or rolled? I find it makes a huge difference with ankle boots (although I think all three look good with Craftsmen...).

neither. although im not sure what you mean by stacked.

just got home. ill try to snap some pics of the denim i was wearing in an hour or so..

yeayea

Reaction score
the denim in question - i wore these jeans on my 2 trips to the RMW store to fit the boots

pics 1&2 are levis 514s - pics 3&4 are levis 'slim straight'

seeing the pics, they both look too big on me. they are both waist 32" (i should probably be wearing a 30") - the inseam on the 514s is 30" and 32" on the slim straights

ill be the first to say that the slim straights are way too long .. i havent worn them much yet and didnt realize how much they bunched up at the bottom!

anyway both are straight leg. the 514's feel like they are tapered but that is probably because im used to baggy jeans.

i just bought these about 6 weeks ago. i downsized from a 34" and baggy fit. (yes, huge!) it seems that i should have went down 2 sizes instead of just one.. glad their only levis! (i posted on this a while back)

im thinking that the denim may have been the problem rather than the RMWs .. i may have to go back to square 1 to correct the problem..
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try washing them and then tossing them in the dryer, that may snug them up a bit.

Also, you could try cuffing the bottom.

yeayea

Reaction score
back to the original point:
given the fit and cut of the jeans, do you think they would work with the RMWs?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Which RMW model? There are a bunch of them. And what size?

yeayea

Reaction score
craftsmen 8.5 G (AUS)

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
back to the original point: given the fit and cut of the jeans, do you think they would work with the RMWs?
Personally, I think of RMWs as being clean and a bit dressy, so I wear them with dark, straight-leg jeans. The ones you posted photos of are kind of baggy and a little distressed - I think they'd look better with Blundstones or something more utilitarian.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ +1. These jeans probably aren't best for wear with dressier boots.

yeayea

Reaction score
OK. I thought so, but this is really the only denim i own at this point (i have a pair of uniqlos but they are bootcut and also distressed)

Hrm.. now what to do?

I am actively upgrading my wardrobe. In the past, i wore everything baggy. Also, I lost some weight recently and have a thinner frame now. So basically nothing I own fits, plus Im still learning what a "good fit" actually looks and feels like (lurking on WAYWN and experimenting with different fits on my own)

Im trying to start with the basics. Cheap denim, some AA tees and hoodies, H&M polos, etc. Im starting on the cheap side until i learn more about style and in case my weight fluxuates (im hitting the weights and would like to put some weight back on - in the right places!)

My sneakers are good (mostly Pumas), but my shoes are pretty awful. Im mainly looking for a versatile shoe, that can be worn in the office (business casual) or with a suit or out on the town with denim. This led me to the RMWs.

So.. do i look to upgrade my denim or find a more suitable shoe?

Im open to any and all suggestions. Thanks guys..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads