• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMW Comfort Craftsman - a few questions

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, there's a huge thread about RM Williams. I've actually read every post in that thread, but have a couple of specific questions about the Comfort Craftsman.

1) I've read that the Comfort Craftsman isn't available in an F width (and I haven't been able to find it in an F width online), yet I recall someone selling an F width Comfort Craftsman on this board a while back. Perhaps it's available special order?

2) From what I've seen, the Comfort Craftsman looks identical to the leather-soled Craftsman from above; the only difference being noticeable when you view the sole. Is that the case?

3) I'm interested in the Comfort Craftsman because I'll be wearing it more often with jeans, business casual clothing and an occasional sportcoat - I don't see myself wearing them with a suit. In addition, I live in upstate NY and could use the grip. I've read that the leather soled Craftsman can be a bit harsh after a full days use and that the Comfort Craftsman is just that: more comfortable. Any input on comfort (assuming a good fit) of either model?

I'll be in NYC tomorrow and plan on going over to the RM Williams store to check them out.

imstr8trippin

Reaction score
i've only tried on one pair of RMW and it was a comfort craftsman. they were VERY comfortable. normally, they dont come in narrow width.

99% will not notice the rubber sole. i like them and may purchase my own soon. most people here are pretty picky and will tell you that the rubber sole "sticks out" a bit more than the regular craftsman sole. personally, i don't see it as a problem. i think they look hot.

im just trying to decide if the chestnut is too dark.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the response.

I'm a 10.5 D and I'm concerned that the 9.5 G RMW won't be long enough. I learned that lesson when 9.5 Blundstones were too small and it cost $$$ to send them back and get a size 10. After talking to Sator, he recommended a 10 F (move up a bit in size and down in width).

Up until yesterday, I was thinking Chestnut was too dark. However, that color would probably be very versatile and the darkness would lend a little dressiness to the boot. The lighter colors (dark tan, whiskey) might prove to be a little too flashy in the long run. For example, I have a pair of AE Byrons in chili. I love the shoe and the color, but don't wear them near as much as my darker brown shoes.

I guess I'm lucky in that I can actually try them on while in NYC.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I know, I know, there's a huge thread about RM Williams. I've actually read every post in that thread, but have a couple of specific questions about the Comfort Craftsman.

1) I've read that the Comfort Craftsman isn't available in an F width (and I haven't been able to find it in an F width online), yet I recall someone selling an F width Comfort Craftsman on this board a while back. Perhaps it's available special order?

2) From what I've seen, the Comfort Craftsman looks identical to the leather-soled Craftsman from above; the only difference being noticeable when you view the sole. Is that the case?

3) I'm interested in the Comfort Craftsman because I'll be wearing it more often with jeans, business casual clothing and an occasional sportcoat - I don't see myself wearing them with a suit. In addition, I live in upstate NY and could use the grip. I've read that the leather soled Craftsman can be a bit harsh after a full days use and that the Comfort Craftsman is just that: more comfortable. Any input on comfort (assuming a good fit) of either model?

I'll be in NYC tomorrow and plan on going over to the RM Williams store to check them out.

1) No idea

2) The shape of the CC is a little different from the standard Craftsman. Not much but it is - primarily the height at the toebox.

3) CC is, naturally, more comfortable for long distance walking.

schanop

Reaction score
From RM current print catalogue, comfort craftman in F is available as a custom order. You can specify the comfort "Welt Rubber Sole" (code P) for an F fit craftman. Myself, I prefer the colour of kangroo chestnut to the yearling chesnut. Some how, it just looks better.

III

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Comfort Craftsman (chestnut) in the NYC store on Thursday. I went in intending to buy the regular Craftsman, but after trying both on and talking to the guy there, I went with the CC. The CCs are MUCH more comfortable, and the visual difference a foot away from the mirror is pretty much nil. I am a marathon geek and my feet are always thrashed in season, so the feel of the CC sold it for me. For your specified use, the CC should be great. I could have worn a Craftsman in a 9G but I had to go up to 9+G in the CC. Insole volume difference I suppose.

The Chestnut is a pretty neutral color, and AFAIK, is the only other option besides black off the shelf in the CC.

Be sure you look the address up before you go. The shop is miniscule and I walked right past it the first time, even though I was actively looking for it.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
2) The shape of the CC is a little different from the standard Craftsman. Not much but it is - primarily the height at the toebox.

+1

I will also stand by this comment. The height of the toebox disappears rather quickly in a CC as opposed to the craftsmen you can try on in a store. I ended up gong with the turnout instead due to the fact that I wanted a 'comfort' model, but needed more room in the toebox than the craftsmen provided.

For what it's worth - I think the turnout looks better with jeans anyway as the craftsmen seems a little too dainty looking for 'rugged wear'. This will be especially noticable on the smaller widths like F and larger sizes like 10 and above.

Just an opinion.

troop

palladio211

Reaction score
1) It is available by special order in F width. I own a CC in 10 F, which I special ordered through the NYC store.

2) They do look slightly different. The Comfort sole protrudes and is thicker, and the toe box of mine doesn't look quite as "chiseled" for some reason.

3) The Comfort model is MUCH more comfortable than the standard leather sole. I own both and there is no comparison. It's somewhat like the difference between wearing sneakers and dress shoes. The Comfort model also has more padding than the standard rubber soled Gardener.

For casual wear, check out the Gardener or Yard Boot in "oily kip" leather. I just picked some up in NYC so they should have some in stock. I now prefer them for casual wear over my Craftsman and Comfort Craftsman boots. This leather is more durable, feels just as soft and comfortable as the calf once broken in, does not need to be polished (it's oiled), and I think looks better for a casual boot. Unless I wanted a dress boot, I'd never get the calf again.

My regular Craftsman pair is in dark brown suede, which look great and gets the most compliments. The only drawback is that they're obviously not much good for wet/rainy days.

For the use you described, I would definitely go with a a rubber soled model like the Comfort, the Yard Boot, Gardener, etc. So find out what size you take, look at all the options in the store, and then special order what you really want. You can special order a lot of combinations that aren't in the store. If it were me, I'd go for a Comfort Craftsman or Gardener in medium or dark brown oily kip leather.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it to the store, although I walked right by it the first day. By the time, I figured out I had walked by it, it was closed. I'm a 10.5 D in most shoes, but have a pair of 11 in one shoe and a C&J in 10 UK, so maybe I'm a "long" 10.5. The 9.5 G felt too short (in both Craftsman and Comfort Craftsman and the 10 G were too loose. I'm going to order a 10 F. I can deal with a little extra length (insert joke here), but couldn't stand my toes being crunched up, and I'll let the shoe stretch a bit width-wise.

I bought 9.5 Blundstones a year ago and had to send them back - too short. I ended up with a size 10.

The Craftsman is very graceful looking; I was really impressed. Also, the Comfort Model is awesome and I had to really look to see a difference from above. Considering the weather in upstate NY, I'm getting the CC (in Chestnut).

Murray

Reaction score
I have the Chestnut French Veal Calf, Comfort Craftsman with a leather sole. Not only are they good looking, they are like wearing running shoes. They also polish up a treat.

All in all, I have six pairs or RMW boots and I find the leather soled comfort craftsman the best in terms of comfort and versatility.

Cheers...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads