• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RM Williams

tgfny

Reaction score
Have em in 'roo and love 'em. Had to get some more while I got those resoled and got talked into a pair of Comfort Craftsmans. Was dubious because they looked too much like my others. Walked Baselworld for 3 days hard- if ya been it's like 6 Javitz Centers and is unbelievable but a hard walk b/c it's so big. The shoes are absolutely the greatest thing I have ever worn in my life; they are running shoes hidden in stylish boots. Yes, they do have a rubber sole, but for walking shows they absolutely rock.

Nonk

Reaction score
I have the Craftsman and they are the best dam thing ever to grace my feet.

When you have a wide choice of footwear it says a lot when you continually gravitate towards the same item again and again.

UK residents-order from Aus to save £60 plus.

marc37

Reaction score
l have some craftmen. Good shoes. l do find that the leather sole boots don't grip the ground properly - they slip.

You've gotta get the craftsmen in ostrich leather. Gr8 boots m8.

timekeeping

Reaction score
ahh.. So the leather soles are really slippery. I just thought there was something wrong with my pair of blemished RM Craftsmen. Had to use coarse sand paper to sand it down to give it any decent grip.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on the comfort factor. I found them to be very hard and uncomfortable. I also cannot polish to the same degree as some of my C&Js and Church's.

That being said, the seamless one piece construction (wholecut?) is top notch. Does anyone know if any other shoemaker do boots with one piece of leather?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
now where is ernest when we need allegations of people here looking like "farmers"?

PS - i love em too

tgfny

Reaction score
l have some craftmen. Good shoes. l do find that the leather sole boots don't grip the ground properly - they slip.

You've gotta get the craftsmen in ostrich leather. Gr8 boots m8.
If you like those and walk a lot, you'll find the Comfort Craftsmen a godsend. They have a rubber sole, but you can't tell just looking at em. They must be as comfortable as Rockports, not that I've ever tried any of those on.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find RM Williams in the US and/or online? I'm looking for winter boots and shoes (waterproof, stand up to snow and muck, good traction, etc.), and I'm reluctant to order online without trying on unless the store has a great return policy.

tgfny, does the kangaroo leather crease excessively?

aarghh

Reaction score
Ben Silver has some R.M. Williams boots online. Not the complete range, though.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tgfny

Reaction score
(tgfny @ April 15 2005,13:54) I don't think so. They are in this pic. http://img23.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00058a6bz.jpg Noesn't crease really at all when they are on.
In general many have found that the shoe trees work better when they are placed in the shoes when stored.
dozingoff.gif
trees4mn.jpg

I told you, I'm technologically challenged. Good point though. Changed maids a while back and haven't trained this one in that yet.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(FIHTies @ April 15 2005,11:03)
Originally Posted by tgfny,April 15 2005,13:54
I don't think so. They are in this pic. http://img23.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00058a6bz.jpg Noesn't crease really at all when they are on.
In general many have found that the shoe trees work better when they are placed in the shoes when stored.
dozingoff.gif
trees4mn.jpg

I told you, I'm technologically challenged. Good point though. Changed maids a while back and haven't trained this one in that yet.
My maid ain't goin' nowhere near my shoes.

Chilli padi

Reaction score
Guys I hate to be a naysayer, but I am on my second and final pair of Craftsmen.  On each pair that I have owned, the sole has split along the side.  The first time this happened (after about a year of moderate wear), RM Williams replaced the boots no questions asked.  But this time I'm not even going to bother asking because I don't want another pair.  I bought them in Australia (Brisneyland, to those in the know.) and returned them to the same shop.  For what it's worth, the salesperson I returned them to said they are not good in cold and wet weather (as we have in the UK most of the year, unfortunately).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads