• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RM Williams - Whats The Go With The Wrinkling?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a forum special with the non slip sole in whiskey.

Great shoes.

I've only worn them about three times, and the vamp has plenty of wrinkles in it. Not just micro wrinkles, but 'waves'.

They have been leather conditioned and polished.

They always have shoe trees in place.

Is it the size? They are 11.5 F, and I thought I should have gone 11 F, as I'm usually 10.5G. Next time, I'm going to go 11F.

Is it the sole? Does the non slip sole ensure that this ends up happening?

Was it just not made to size properly? With excess leather on the vamp?

I've seen older RM Williams that have this look. Mine arent old. I'm thinking that its probably a fit problem then - does that tend to happen if a shoe is too wide for the foot?

I've read that you can strip off the polish and conditioner with leather stripper, then re condition and polish them and that will improve the condition. Any word?

What about insoles? Do people use them for this sort of problem?

I'd like to continue to get RM Williams shoes, but if they look like these after wearing them three or four times...

http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=001te0.jpg

I was looking at getting a forum special in tan veal calf for my next boot. The reason I got the non slip sole was for work.

Thanks for any help or advice guys!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks normal to me.

Getting a different size may help, or it may not help at all. I find that creasing is a function of the leather itself, not really sizing or conditioner, etc.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double post,

But do you think this is more indicative of how the non slip soles wear?

As they are more flexible, and have more give?

This is a comparison between a new brass screwed sole and a worn non slip sole.

http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?i...whiskeywt5.jpg

Not my photo - but thanks to the person who had posted it!

Thanks!

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for you reply.

I know, many people have said that before over these topics.

Then how do people in the WAYWT threads have meticulous shoes?

So is it a leather quality issue?

Tougher, thicker leather?

Or is it going to happen anywere, anytime?

I also thought, do boot specific shoe tree's make a difference?

I'm trying to get my shoes down, at the moment, while I loose weight, I can't really spend on much else!

Hmmm...

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

Then how do people in the WAYWT threads have meticulous shoes?

They only put them on for the pics, they don't actually WEAR them!
tounge.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your pic, you are comparing a worn shoe to a new one. The new one, it doesn't have wrinkles yet... because... it is new. The sole has absolutely no effect on upper creasing, at least in this case.
brassscrewedsolewhiskeywt5.jpg

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL @ dcg - I suspected!

/joke

Cary Grant - That's what I'm thinking.

My normal fit for RM Williams is a 10.5G - the fit is fantastic however at an 11F.

However these are a 11.5F - that extra width is allowing the leather to roll?

Thanks for the help guys!

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I should have clarified that.

Apolagies.

I included that second photo to show how a non-slip sole boot wears. There have been plenty of forum specials shown in threads that only have micro wrinkles.

dk123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
In your pic, you are comparing a worn shoe to a new one. The new one, it doesn't have wrinkles yet... because... it is new. The sole has absolutely no effect on upper creasing, at least in this case.

brassscrewedsolewhiskeywt5.jpg

Can you id these?

Is the left the forum special and the right craftsman?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither one is a forum special.

The forum special is a sleeker last, with a rounded toe. Pictured, is the craftsmen.

The left is a brass screwed sole, and the right is a non-slip sole that is goodyear welted.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are right they should not crease as much from my experienece = 3 pairs so far.

Eagle

Reaction score
Could it be related to the type of hide used to construct the boot? I have two pair of RM Williams crafted of yearling and two pair crafted from kangaroo hide. The kangaroo hide boots show considerably more extensive creasing/wrinkling than do the yearling leather boots.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd make sure your trees fit. I had some RMW trees--they were a bad fit and didn't fill the vamp, so my first pair got amazingly wrinkled.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with yours. Maybe they're a little loose and that's causing the wave, but nothing to write home about.

Toorman

Reaction score
When I stopped in the store in NYC I could'nt help but notice the salesman's boots were highly creased and "wavy." I asked about that and he said it was the desired look for an Australian boot. I went back a second time and there was a different individual but his boots had the same effect. While I understand they are wholecut and admired here I didn't care for this worn look and passed on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads