• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RM Williams: Craftsman vs. Turnout

Mugnut

Reaction score
I know that I need some RM Williams boots. They make my Blundstones look like snowshoes (though they are still effective for grungy yard work).

For the devotees: what's your preference between the Craftsman's chisel toe and the Turnout's round toe, and why?

Can't get a chance to try on and compare. Intended use is business casual - which for me in the fall/winter is mostly widewale cords and heavy (cavalry twill and the like) khakis.

I ask because, though I am inexorably drawn to the Craftsman as an acknowledged classic, I don't think I own a single pair of chisel or square-toed shoes, and wonder if anyone has been put off by the shape.

Thanks.

sammy

Reaction score
I tried on both and chose the craftsman. Its dressier and more elegant than the rounded toe. If you plan to wear this for business casual occasions, then the craftsman is the way to go. I wear mine with flannels and other heavy woolens dress trousers and they look great. They are also very comfortable, and one of the best shoe purchases I've made in a while.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugnut
I know that I need some RM Williams boots. They make my Blundstones look like snowshoes (though they are still effective for grungy yard work).

For the devotees: what's your preference between the Craftsman's chisel toe and the Turnout's round toe, and why?

Can't get a chance to try on and compare. Intended use is business casual - which for me in the fall/winter is mostly widewale cords and heavy (cavalry twill and the like) khakis.

I ask because, though I am inexorably drawn to the Craftsman as an acknowledged classic, I don't think I own a single pair of chisel or square-toed shoes, and wonder if anyone has been put off by the shape.

Thanks.

I own 2 pair Blundstones; the 'Original' and the 'Chisel toe'.

And 2 pair RM Williams; the Gardener and the Craftsman.

As you correctly concluded the Craftsman is the most elegant/dressiest of the 4.

As others have posted the Craftsman is not so pointy as to be pimpy. It's just right
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Mugnut

Reaction score
that makes perfect sense. I'd like the Craftsman as a dressier shoe; but I think the Turnout might suit my needs better - I usually wear loafers with cords, or my blunnies on bad days - so I need an upgrade to about the formality of penny loafers, but with some burliness - sounds like the Turnout level. For what I'm used to, the Craftsman sounds a little too "elegant" for the way I would be wearing them.

This is how one goes from needing one to two to three pairs of shoes. I really want: 1 pair turnouts, 1 pair craftsman, and one pair of gardeners. - but can;t do that it all at once or I would be kicked out of the house.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I chose the Turnout; I wear them with jeans, cords, and moleskins, but they are too rounded and casual for slacks or suits, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads