• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams but with a Waterproof Commando-Style Sole?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I want RM Williams quality in a boot with a commando-style sole. I like the comfort of the rubber sole and the casual hard wearing leather. In the past I have had Prada and Bottega Veneta Chelsea boots with commando looking soles but they always end up in the garbage because they cannot be repaired.

I do not want Dainite soles. Any suggestions? I want to buy from a company that ideally does their own repairs but at the very least I would like them to be repairable.

My budget is $1k but I don't want dressy boots (like my EG Galways).

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want RM Williams quality in a boot with a commando-style sole. I like the comfort of the rubber sole and the casual hard wearing leather. In the past I have had Prada and Bottega Veneta Chelsea boots with commando looking soles but they always end up in the garbage because they cannot be repaired.

I do not want Dainite soles. Any suggestions? I want to buy from a company that ideally does their own repairs but at the very least I would like them to be repairable.

My budget is $1k but I don't want dressy boots (like my EG Galways).

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Why not try Alden?

Joe Schmoe

Reaction score
Aldens are fantastic, but Alden does not offer a Chelsea boot, if that is the style you are looking for.

suttonzach

Reaction score
RMW do a commando sole

Assuming you wanted it on a dress leather boot instead of the Gardener, you could just do a custom order.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I think the C&J looks like a good option. I have also put in a MTO request into Zonkey Boot as their boots have been really comfortable for me and they do whole cuts. I am not sure if their storm welt is hand welted like their standard shoes

I've never seen the style I am describing from Alden
Crockett & Jones Chelsea XI
This looks like a winner.
A real step up in quality from both RMW and Alden.
It isn't a whole cut, which isn't as nice but I am not sure how much that affects the comfort.
RMW do a commando sole

Assuming you wanted it on a dress leather boot instead of the Gardener, you could just do a custom order.
I will ask if they can do no a non-rainbow colored sole.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Are all C&J shoes still made in the UK? I am just curious because only the Handgrade line seems to call that out.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
A real step up in quality from both RMW and Alden.
Honestly, after comparison of RM Williams that my fiance has and my brother’s C&J Chelsea 5 i bought RMW Craftsman for myself. I love C&J, half or more of my shoes are from them... but there is something quite unique in RMW and I really love how they look and feel.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are all C&J shoes still made in the UK? I am just curious because only the Handgrade line seems to call that out.
the last I checked, yes. According to their own site, only slippers and drivers are outsourced.

47A60B6B-A4C7-4F46-81B8-8842B41F53D8.png

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.