• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
Yes, I know, this is yet another pair of Comfort Craftsman in Chestnut, but this pair is mine :cool: I just received my pair from Everything Australian in just 4 business days. Great service!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0556.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0556.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 365

huskiee

Reaction score
Yes, I know, this is yet another pair of Comfort Craftsman in Chestnut, but this pair is mine :cool: I just received my pair from Everything Australian in just 4 business days. Great service!

One of the first quality boots I bought Five years ago and still my favourites today. Enjoy!

DarkKnight108

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that RM have completely lost their way recently? They're trying harder and harder to become some ridiculous designery company, with the kind of outrageous designs/fashion that you'd see on catwalks, but that no one would actually wear. For example, what is this absolutely disgusting 365 Yard Boot collaboration they're doing? Who thought that was a good idea? They're disgusting.

And this experimental fringe stuff wouldn't bother me if you could still get the more average, casual and wearable choices, but those are going away. They seasonally get rid of any of the really good medium choices of leather and bring in the weirdest stuff. For example, Olive as a colour and yet they got rid of the old Vesta Brown which was their only good medium brown choice. Yes they have the Dark Tan, but that's so reddish. It's not very versatile. The permanent Chestnut is too dark (and a little purple) for casual use. It's a dress boot. I have a custom pair in Rum which is slightly less dark than the Chestnut, but still not as casual as I'd like.

I just feel that they're trying too hard to be some kind of high fashion brand and totally losing touch with their roots and what made them good. And that's disappointing because as an Australian, they're one of the few quality brands we have/had. And now, both with price-point and weird design/colour choices, they're completely abandoning the average Australian who wants to wear some RMs with jeans on the street and not look like they're going tap-dancing or to a semi-formal event.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that RM have completely lost their way recently? They're trying harder and harder to become some ridiculous designery company, with the kind of outrageous designs/fashion that you'd see on catwalks, but that no one would actually wear. For example, what is this absolutely disgusting 365 Yard Boot collaboration they're doing? Who thought that was a good idea? They're disgusting.

And this experimental fringe stuff wouldn't bother me if you could still get the more average, casual and wearable choices, but those are going away. They seasonally get rid of any of the really good medium choices of leather and bring in the weirdest stuff. For example, Olive as a colour and yet they got rid of the old Vesta Brown which was their only good medium brown choice. Yes they have the Dark Tan, but that's so reddish. It's not very versatile. The permanent Chestnut is too dark (and a little purple) for casual use. It's a dress boot. I have a custom pair in Rum which is slightly less dark than the Chestnut, but still not as casual as I'd like.

I just feel that they're trying too hard to be some kind of high fashion brand and totally losing touch with their roots and what made them good. And that's disappointing because as an Australian, they're one of the few quality brands we have/had. And now, both with price-point and weird design/colour choices, they're completely abandoning the average Australian who wants to wear some RMs with jeans on the street and not look like they're going tap-dancing or to a semi-formal event.

A little bit, yeah, but it is a better state to be in than never changing. If RM refused to make changes and firmly remained a country outfitter, their country fans would think they were a ripper brand and they'd sell a few Stockyard boots, but they'd also probably be out of business by now because there are a lot more boots out there that are fit for that purpose. I could go and buy a Redback boot for cheaper that will do the yard work just as well as anything RM makes, but I wouldn't be seen dead anywhere nice in them. RM have correctly figured that there are a hell of a lot more customers to be found in cities and outside of Australia that they need to appeal to from a fashion perspective as well, and that is a strength of theirs and they have adapted to focus on it. It seems to be working too, they're still expanding, their marketing appears to be drastically better now, their online ordering experience is much better, the website is new and works better, they have good social presence, and consequently I see RM's more than ever these days around town.

I fully agree the Yard Boot 365 is an ugly failure and an insult to their otherwise impressive adhesion to their heritage as far as the cemented sneaker sole goes, but trying something new with an Aussie designer like Marc Newson and trying to capture a more fashionable market is not a bad thing, it just didn't produce a good product this time. And I bet they know that already and are learning from it. Besides, they still produce the classics. You might not like Chestnut (I also think it's too dark) but it's their oldest and best selling brown so of course they'd keep making it. But, they also offer Rum and Dark Tan as permanent off the shelf options so you have a dark/mid/light option there and there are often seasonal browns as well eg. Kangaroo chocolate, Bovine caramel, probably others. In my opinion, RM has the spectrum covered even without Vesta Brown, and Rum works great with jeans.

Plus, the burnished Chinchilla boots are gorgeous and that's a recent innovation that I doubt anybody from the country appreciated, but you must admit they were a smart move. I'd own a pair if they put bloody comfort inners in them so they're not perfect, but then you've got amazing seasonal releases still coming out like the "Italian" havana suede in this season which I think is the best boot RM have ever made. The Bernard is not for me but probably has a market. The Signature Craftsman is pretty slick. Some of their clothing or accessories lines are pretty nice. No brand is perfect but I still support RM even with all their annoying quirks and the occasional ****** product. (Sorry Marc but your boots really are pure ****...)

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+10 to Nungar.
2 day shipping to Melb & with the GST refund on my way home less than $300!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m guessing that’s the chestnut next to the Lachlan’s? How does the colour compair in person? Did you go for the same size?

Yes:

Snuff CC, Brown Gardeners (now with Vibram sole)
Lachlans, chestnut CCs

The colour in the pic is fairly accurate. It's a reddish mid-brown on a thick pull-up leather. I put a little polish on them after that pic because they just looked a bit too dull. I think the colour is just perfect right now ... though it has been my experience that pull-up leathers always darken a few shades as they soak-in additional (natural and shoecare) oils. In this case I really hope they don't change at all.

I have 10H Gardeners but all my Craftsmen are 9.5H. For this one I decided to go with 10H to make sure I can wear thick hiking socks with them. So far, I think it was the right choice - but I won't really know until the leather has stretched and broken in a little more.

I can't rave about these boots enough. All the comfort and rugged pavement pounding ability of the Gardener, but with a sleeker shape and colour that will still work in casual environment (like chinos or denim).

Lachlan boots and RMW moleskin pants today:
41058980-E721-4F92-83BB-38D3635FF97A.jpeg

thebayst

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the differences in feel/wear between the french veal calf, kangaroo, chinchilla, and yearling leather? I'm looking for a more horsehide type leather... I'm a huge fan of shinki leather, but not of horween chromexcel, if that makes sense. Thank you for any help!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the differences in feel/wear between the french veal calf, kangaroo, chinchilla, and yearling leather? I'm looking for a more horsehide type leather... I'm a huge fan of shinki leather, but not of horween chromexcel, if that makes sense. Thank you for any help!
Not got the veal

I’ve the chinchilla which is calf leather so acts accordingly. The burnish is best preserved by not using renovating type products, rm own neutral polish advised.
I’ve the yearling which is a softish hardy calf leather (year old cow!)
I’ve the Roo which is the ultimate leather in my book, thin but strong and super comfortable. The chestnut and tan you can see the grain. I’ve it in black too and grain isn’t as noticeable but damn fine boot!
I’ve Shinki cordovan and I’ve Italian horsehide. None of RMs leathers are vaguely close to either. Far softer and no break in required with the boots Rm over those two. One of my favourite boots ever is my horsehide Viberg, although it can look a bit plasticky as quite shiny.
I’ve cxl which I find an awesome leather. Soft and strong but way thicker in texture than any rm boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads