• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CMT1

Reaction score
New owner here!

We just returned from a long trip that included Australia where I picked up a pair of dark olive Chinchilla boots. I visited every RMW store in Sydney and couldn't find anything I loved, and it wasn't until our last full day there that we went shopping at an outlet mall due to rain and I found my pair.

I put over 4 miles on them that night walking over the Harbor Bridge and back to our hotel and I continue to be amazed at their comfort every time I put them on. They are hands down the best "souvenir" of our trip!

CA0gM3T.jpg

eDgnNSl.jpg

SomKLxH.jpg

03HF2nL.jpg

7ffpjnw.jpg

o4dDNol.jpg

0vhKUga.jpg

J65Lm7d.jpg

48a8grw.jpg

95MMUFU.jpg

Big fan. I can't get enough of them and have had a hard time keeping to the tenet of not wearing them two days in a row. Their versatility is amazing and the dark olive color matches pretty much everything I own.

tyxZruY.jpg

Wv4jnEL.jpg

rbyWSY2.jpg

OKunxpd.jpg

I don't know what I expected, but I was surprised at their state of high polish from the factory. I don't think I want to keep this shine as they aren't really a "high gloss" boot to me, but I do want to make sure the leather is properly nourished when it inevitably needs product.

Question for those with Chinchillas: I have RM Williams leather wax on the way but I'm now thinking that I may have misheard the SA when she advised me on product and the neutral Stockman's polish is what I should have ordered.

I searched the thread and it seems to be the definitive product recommendation. Given how glossy they are now, they shouldn't need anything for a while but I do want to be ready when the day comes.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great weekend!

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New owner here!
We just returned from a long trip that included Australia where I picked up a pair of dark olive Chinchilla boots.

Looks great, how did you find the sizing?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
New owner here!

We just returned from a long trip that included Australia where I picked up a pair of dark olive Chinchilla boots. I visited every RMW store in Sydney and couldn't find anything I loved, and it wasn't until our last full day there that we went shopping at an outlet mall due to rain and I found my pair.

I put over 4 miles on them that night walking over the Harbor Bridge and back to our hotel and I continue to be amazed at their comfort every time I put them on. They are hands down the best "souvenir" of our trip!

CA0gM3T.jpg

eDgnNSl.jpg

SomKLxH.jpg

03HF2nL.jpg

7ffpjnw.jpg

o4dDNol.jpg

0vhKUga.jpg

J65Lm7d.jpg

48a8grw.jpg

95MMUFU.jpg

Big fan. I can't get enough of them and have had a hard time keeping to the tenet of not wearing them two days in a row. Their versatility is amazing and the dark olive color matches pretty much everything I own.

tyxZruY.jpg

Wv4jnEL.jpg

rbyWSY2.jpg

OKunxpd.jpg

I don't know what I expected, but I was surprised at their state of high polish from the factory. I don't think I want to keep this shine as they aren't really a "high gloss" boot to me, but I do want to make sure the leather is properly nourished when it inevitably needs product.

Question for those with Chinchillas: I have RM Williams leather wax on the way but I'm now thinking that I may have misheard the SA when she advised me on product and the neutral Stockman's polish is what I should have ordered.

I searched the thread and it seems to be the definitive product recommendation. Given how glossy they are now, they shouldn't need anything for a while but I do want to be ready when the day comes.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
It’s the neutral polish captain.

Lovely boots, I commented on the darker medium which sounds like credit (?).

Welcome to the club!

CMT1

Reaction score
Looks great, how did you find the sizing?

They definitely run large! I am between an 11-11.5D Brannock, and the 10G was slightly roomy where the 9.5G was snug. I went with the 9.5G and I'm glad I did, as they've already stretched enough to feel like a second skin.

It’s the neutral polish captain.

Lovely boots, I commented on the darker medium which sounds like credit (?).

Welcome to the club!

Thanks again my man, I absolutely love these boots!

EUtroll

Reaction score
Are there any retailers in the USA that provide free shipping/returns for the H (wide) fit comfort craftsman.
I cant find any and RM williams charges alot to ship!

I spoke with the shop and was told that the comfort turnout fits a bit wider in the toe box, so might be a better option for my feet in general. I will try that as well.

To me, the difference is only marginal.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Wonder what the price will be!. Look like cheap crap to me, but I guess some people out there will buy

D7F10B7F-2E32-4499-8380-18578ADEA888.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I made a valiant effort to determine a clear answer to the following question and have found there isn't one.

How does RMW sizing work? I'm finding discordant information all over the place, and some advice - including that provided at the inception of this thread - has me thinking you need an advanced engineering degree to figure this out.

Specifically, re length, I found this RMW chart (which they no longer host on their site, it appears). However, by that measure, because I am dead on 12" in my larger foot, I would be a 13.5 US, which is not possible - I'm a 10.5-11 UK in dress shoes.

On the other end of the spectrum, this retailer suggests "USA fittings are 11/2 sizes larger than RM Williams standard fits".

So, how do I determine the right size?

takashi78

Reaction score
FWIW when i tried them on in the shop in Melbourne, i found that i fit a RMW size-7.
I can only reference my Alden barrie size which is us8.
But the salesperson recommended me go half size up which i ended up getting 7.5.
I felt that i could have done with a sz-7.

Because i got the kangaroo which was buttery soft.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Wonder what the price will be!. Look like cheap crap to me, but I guess some people out there will buy

Price was announced, $445. Leather quality seems like it will be good but construction and design is very cheap so most of that cost is the Marc Newson tax probably.

I asked RMW in e-mail if they would do the quartz suede in Craftsman or as MTO and they said no. Their MTO offerings are shithouse, it seems crazy to me that they arbitrarily restrict which leather options are available MTO. The program costs $800, I should be able to select literally any non-exotic leather from the range at that price. Maddening.

On the other end of the spectrum, this retailer suggests "USA fittings are 11/2 sizes larger than RM Williams standard fits".

I am a US 11 in Nike and 10G in RMW if it helps. I don't know other boot lasts.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am usually about size 11 in RW and 11.5 in adidas, 11.5 to 12 in nike. My feet are a bit wide though so I am a 10H (the wide option in RM Williams)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m gonna order a pair of Lachlan’s next week from the UK. A.Hume or A.Farley?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads