• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
It’s a bit difficult to parse this thread..can I get some sizing advice? I’ve seen RM Williams on Mr. Porter - with free shipping and returns I am not worried about it not fitting..

I’m a 9E Alden Indy (Barrie Last). Would a 8G work or would I do better with a 8.5G? If memory serves the recommendations for the Barrie last is to size down .5 so it sounds like a 8.5G RMW would be better. Perhaps I need to go to an H since that’s the equivalent of an E?
379x military last is the only Aldens I own in US 9.5 and I’m UK 9 in RM Williams.

That’s a particularly relaxed last equivalent to a U.K. G I’d suggest. I can comfortably wear G (RM G not necessarily U.K. G!) fit RMs with thinner socks but require H fit for anything other than that.

It’s foot specific of course and free returns gives a sense of security in your case.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I think the guidance for that last is to size down half size..so seems to follow that you’d be a 10us otherwise, hence the 9uk RMW.
Thanks

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sizing advice. 8.5G was too short.. feels a bit narrow too which brings me to the question of:

How much stretch is to be expected, especially with the roughout suede? I've got a 9G en route now, so will know how that fits tomorrow.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reckon any cobbler can replace the soles? Does is have to be RMW approved?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be but won’t be able to send in future to RM and may not be official parts. They are quite specific about who they release those to. Their is a U.K. approved service centre...can’t recall the name...and I’ve seen them changed to soles like dainite before.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I'm a US11E in Trubalance and have both UK 10.5 and UK 11 in RM Williams. Neither provides for a perfect fit, but decent.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a US11E in Trubalance and have both UK 10.5 and UK 11 in RM Williams. Neither provides for a perfect fit, but decent.
Thanks, sounds like we’re similar. Trubalance and Barrie are both size down half, so sounds like your true size is a 11.5us in other lasts.

How would you compare your 10.5 RMW to your 11? Are they they same model boots?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be but won’t be able to send in future to RM and may not be official parts. They are quite specific about who they release those to. Their is a U.K. approved service centre...can’t recall the name...and I’ve seen them changed to soles like dainite before.
If you remember the name, let me know! I can't be dealing with waiting a month.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had a pair of comfort craftsman replaced with Danite and my Gardeners now sport a vibram commando sole.

I’ve actually been toying with the idea of putting a more substantial sole on my suede craftsman. Keep the sleek chisel toe shape while making them more practical travel/walking shoes (like the Lachlan’s I wish I could afford).

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
If you remember the name, let me know! I can't be dealing with waiting a month.

Never used them personally.

I use Shoe Healer for Modifications. Excellent service if you want Dainite, Commando JR leather etc.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got the black suede RM Williams from East Dane in the mail. 9G. Fit a lot better than the 8.5G. Wearing a thicker sock now.

I really like the suede, what are the tips to keep it in good shape? I will wear these until it starts snowing and the salt comes out..

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Well, I just got the black suede RM Williams from East Dane in the mail. 9G. Fit a lot better than the 8.5G. Wearing a thicker sock now.

I really like the suede, what are the tips to keep it in good shape? I will wear these until it starts snowing and the salt comes out..
Just make sure you use a protector first..

I use Saphir Invulner but most are similar I’d think.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just make sure you use a protector first..

I use Saphir Invulner but most are similar I’d think.

Also get a suede brush and eraser for cleaning. Doesn’t have to be fancy. Mine is Alden but Kiwi do good suede kits as well.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I not be wearing them right now without protector :D ? Can yall just link me to the stuff? my brain tired

Last edited:

fourtythree

Reaction score
Found y'all on google;

anyone got any tips on chinchilla care?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads