• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Yes, it’s the blocking crease. You can see it on the photos below (I switched the boots in the second picture to show it’s not just the angle of the light)

View attachment 1220975

View attachment 1220974

Eh, yeah the toecap worries me, I would get a second opinion on that or just say you're not comfortable with it and you'd like to exchange. Behind the toecap is fine but as the toecap doesn't really change shape I'm dubious if that will go away properly.

Muppet

Reaction score
Just received a pair of RM Scrambler boots. Pretty disappointed for such an expensive pair of boots. The heel lining on one boot is puckered and raised, which causes rubbing on the back of the ankle. On the other boot the welt in not very well attached to the upper, there is a significant gap and the inside of the welt is visible.

Am I being too picky? Expected more from a pair of boots at $845.

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_194949.jpg
    IMG_20190813_194949.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_20190813_195056.jpg
    IMG_20190813_195056.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 380

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen, I will appreciate your advise. I am interested in a pair of RM Williams Gardener boots. My size is UK10.5 in the following lasts in F (medium width):

- Loake Capital,
- Cheaney 125,
- Trickers 4497S

But 10UK in Heschung Odeon last. I wonder which size I should choose. I live in Peru; being careful in picking the size is very important.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen, I will appreciate your advise. I am interested in a pair of RM Williams Gardener boots. My size is UK10.5 in the following lasts in F (medium width):

- Loake Capital,
- Cheaney 125,
- Trickers 4497S

But 10UK in Heschung Odeon last. I wonder which size I should choose. I live in Peru; being careful in picking the size is very important.
Hi sir,

I am same size on 4497s as I am RM Williams and can wear both G and H fitting versions. I usually wear the G with thinner socks and H with thicker socks. If you are same on Loake Capital that’s a slightly narrower last than the Trickers one so I’d think you’d be fine on both too.

The Garnener boots I have are a distressed suede and don’t have a lot of flex but look good! With wear they’d break in more but in a rotation..

Best of luck.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi sir,

I am same size on 4497s as I am RM Williams and can wear both G and H fitting versions. I usually wear the G with thinner socks and H with thicker socks. If you are same on Loake Capital that’s a slightly narrower last than the Trickers one so I’d think you’d be fine on both too.

The Garnener boots I have are a distressed suede and don’t have a lot of flex but look good! With wear they’d break in more but in a rotation..

Best of luck.
Hello Crafty

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

I wonder if you can help me a bit more so I can pull the trigger; can you share a picture of your Gardener and Stow so I can make a comparison of the toe box? I am sorry for any inconvinence that might pop due to my request, and thank you very much.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Just received a pair of RM Scrambler boots. Pretty disappointed for such an expensive pair of boots. The heel lining on one boot is puckered and raised, which causes rubbing on the back of the ankle. On the other boot the welt in not very well attached to the upper, there is a significant gap and the inside of the welt is visible.

Am I being too picky? Expected more from a pair of boots at $845.

I think if the lining is causing discomfort I would raise it with their customer service. I've never worn a boot like that and from the picture I wouldn't have been bothered by it, but as you say, very expensive boots so you'd want to be sure.

As for the welt, I'm no expert but I think that's meant to be a storm welt, and it's meant to press up against the leather to provide better moisture protection than a typical goodyear welt? If so, wouldn't that gap defeat the purpose of it? In which case it would definitely not be acceptable. Again, I'd press their customer service on that point.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Has anyone been through the bespoke/MTO process to order fully custom boots before? I've done MTO's but only for off the shelf boots in unavailable sizes or comfort instead of leather sole. I'm looking at getting RM to make me a boot that doesn't exist in beige suede with bone elastics, they do offer a "Rock" suede which is meant to be beige but I am hesitant to do it if they can't provide a sample of the leather beforehand and don't take returns, because the risk is the boot turns up and looks shithouse.

Snorpley

Reaction score
Has anyone been through the bespoke/MTO process to order fully custom boots before? I've done MTO's but only for off the shelf boots in unavailable sizes or comfort instead of leather sole. I'm looking at getting RM to make me a boot that doesn't exist in beige suede with bone elastics, they do offer a "Rock" suede which is meant to be beige but I am hesitant to do it if they can't provide a sample of the leather beforehand and don't take returns, because the risk is the boot turns up and looks shithouse.
Have gone through the MTO process for a couple of my pairs Jykaes. I don't suppose you are anywhere near an RMW store(?) as they have swatches of all the leathers there (supposedly all 'current & available' ones but I've had experiences to the contrary).
Failing that I'm not sure how to guarantee your satisfaction on an order like that. I love the combo though. I had ordered a similar one previously which they screwed up (used a different last for each foot would you believe?!) so on that occasion I withdrew the order for money back.
That colour combo probably defaults to it already, but if you wanted the natural edge finish on the soles, be sure to confirm that during the order.
Keep us updated on how you go!

All the best,
S.

Jykaes

Reaction score
Have gone through the MTO process for a couple of my pairs Jykaes. I don't suppose you are anywhere near an RMW store(?) as they have swatches of all the leathers there (supposedly all 'current & available' ones but I've had experiences to the contrary).
Failing that I'm not sure how to guarantee your satisfaction on an order like that. I love the combo though. I had ordered a similar one previously which they screwed up (used a different last for each foot would you believe?!) so on that occasion I withdrew the order for money back.
That colour combo probably defaults to it already, but if you wanted the natural edge finish on the soles, be sure to confirm that during the order.
Keep us updated on how you go!

All the best,
S.

Thanks for the input, I have a screenshot of all the options from their old bespoke configurator (No longer on the website probably cost cut) so I have a fair idea of what customisations are available, and yes agreed the natural edge is a definite go for a beige/bone colour combo. I'm quite fortunate in that my closest RM store is the Frost Road factory where they make the boots, so they definitely should have the leather on site. The issue is I am unsure how receptive they are to customers being able to see the samples since the front end store is just a seconds outlet and the staff there are not as helpful as you might expect for working 50 metres from the production line. Having said that, now that you mention it, Percy Street does have a selection of samples, so I may go there. Just wanted to see others' experience before I make the trip.

I'll definitely share if/when the pair gets made, I reckon that would be one hell of a combo personally. Most "Instagram friendly" boot companies have a beige or light tan option in suede and I'm a huge fan of that look. It's odd RM haven't got one, especially given that Havana sold out so quickly, it should be a staple.

Esqindc

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience. Recently became interested in the CC, and wanted one in black and one in chestnut. The first chestnut pair I got was defective. There was a pocket of air underneath the sole, which caused a popping sound with each step. The store replaced them, but the replacement pair ended up being extremely loose, even though it was labeled as my size. Third pair was fine.

The first black pair had very poor leather quality, with no structure to the shoe. Replaced them with a second pair. After a day, there was a very loud clicking noise on the left heel with each step. Returned them and out of frustration ordered two pairs in black with the hope that at least one of them wouldn’t have any issues. Both came defective. The one pair had a collapsing arch, which made the ridge of the heel dig into the arch of my foot on the inside of the shoe. The heel was also pulling away from the sole. The second pair had a gap between the leather upper and the welt. With each step, air would push through the gap and create a whistling sound. I work in a quiet office so this wasn’t going to work. Returned them both and ordered a 5th pair. Aside from the fact that the inner lining was chestnut but the boot was black on the outside, these seem to be ok for now. The heel is much looser than on any of the other ones, which causes a loud farting sound when I walk, but at this point I don’t care. I don’t want to go through the hassle of another exchange.

Because of all the inconvenience, the stockist gave me a series of discounts, and I ended up getting two pairs for the price of one. Overall, the two pairs that I ended up with are fine, and with the 2-for-1 deal, I’m not terribly upset about the purchase. But I had to expend a considerable amount of time and effort to find a pair without defects.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience. Recently became interested in the CC, and wanted one in black and one in chestnut. The first chestnut pair I got was defective. There was a pocket of air underneath the sole, which caused a popping sound with each step. The store replaced them, but the replacement pair ended up being extremely loose, even though it was labeled as my size. Third pair was fine.

The first black pair had very poor leather quality, with no structure to the shoe. Replaced them with a second pair. After a day, there was a very loud clicking noise on the left heel with each step. Returned them and out of frustration ordered two pairs in black with the hope that at least one of them wouldn’t have any issues. Both came defective. The one pair had a collapsing arch, which made the ridge of the heel dig into the arch of my foot on the inside of the shoe. The heel was also pulling away from the sole. The second pair had a gap between the leather upper and the welt. With each step, air would push through the gap and create a whistling sound. I work in a quiet office so this wasn’t going to work. Returned them both and ordered a 5th pair. Aside from the fact that the inner lining was chestnut but the boot was black on the outside, these seem to be ok for now. The heel is much looser than on any of the other ones, which causes a loud farting sound when I walk, but at this point I don’t care. I don’t want to go through the hassle of another exchange.

Because of all the inconvenience, the stockiest gave me a series of discounts, and I ended up getting two pairs for the price of one. Overall, the two pairs that I ended up with are fine, and with the 2-for-1 deal, I’m not terribly upset about the purchase. But I had to expend a considerable amount of time and effort to find a pair without defects.
I’ll say one thing, you’re persistent! At least you got what you wanted eventually but bad quality control.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads