• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to send a pair of boots back to get re-soled. Any idea how to do that since the store in NYC doesn't seem to be available right now?

jksgoh55

Reaction score
They are really nice.

How long did it take for them to arrive?

I've just ordered a pair of Craftsman Kangaroo in Chestnut, but they're MTO as I sized it at 12.5H. I tried a 12H on in an RM Williams store in Melbourne/Chadstone (Australia) and found it a touch too firm (but not tight) - the staff there suggested I go MTO with half a size larger, so that the boot doesn't experience too much damage over the life of the shoe. This was with my orthotic device inserted.

This is more or less a test shoe for me to use, if I like it then I'll organise with the factory for a customised version against the orthotic as I go across to Adelaide regularly.

This is my first foray into proper boots - I'm used to using boots/shoes from Rockport, as they've historically best catered for my orthotics. However, since Adidas acquired Reebok, I feel that quality has gradually dropped off. Searching around and chatting with various Cobblers and Cordwainers has yielded that RM Williams is probably best for me, short of going bespoke shoes (which I fully intend to do when my finances allow for it).
Went to the store and bought them, so no waiting. Initially went to the emporium store but they had a nasty scratch on the back, fortunately Melbourne Central had one so grabbed that. Also got the free crocodile belt offer!

wxxnxs

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm not sure if my post is appropriate in here or not, one of my friend's company has reciprocal relationship with RM Williams. All of products from RM Williams including boots are 30% off from RRP, if anyone in here is interested, please PM me.

Please note: MTO boots are not included, and if you are not in Australia, unfortunately I'm not able to ship to overseas at this stage.

Moderator, please remove or delete this post if this is not appropriate.

Webbo

Reaction score
For those with a CC who have wide(ish) feet is the consensus that a G in Kangaroo is recommended over an H in calf due to the extra stretching of the Kangaroo. I take a loake 10 - 10.5 G fitting in 026 and Capital lasts. Thanks.

Markwilo13

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently gotten into buying decent handmade Goodyear welt shoes and wish I had started sooner. I am very interested in getting some RM Williams or Henry Baxter Chelsea boots. RM Williams boots in the Uk are around £300, which is a bit more than I was planning to spend. I can get them online from Australia for $355 with postage. This works out at around £200 GBP. Whats your experiences regarding having to pay customs/tax when buying from Australia?

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Hi All

I have recently gotten into buying decent handmade Goodyear welt shoes and wish I had started sooner. I am very interested in getting some RM Williams or Henry Baxter Chelsea boots. RM Williams boots in the Uk are around £300, which is a bit more than I was planning to spend. I can get them online from Australia for $355 with postage. This works out at around £200 GBP. Whats your experiences regarding having to pay customs/tax when buying from Australia?

I bought mine from a shop in Australia, and it was pretty easy. I ordered the makeup I wanted over the phone, and then 5 weeks later they arrived at my door.

dammit

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This thread has been a wealth of information to me as I am trying to work out the best RM Williams boots to buy.

I want to wear them with a suit, in corporate environment in Sydney which I see a lot of people already do.

Can someone tell me, is the difference between the Craftsman, and the Comfort Craftsman, simply exactly the same, with the only difference that the Craftsman has a leather sole, but the Comfort Craftsman has the non-slip rubber sole? My feet do get quite hot at times and from what I gather the leather would breathe more and feel a bit more classy. But I also travel on train and usually power walking through the city on wet tiled areas etc, so I am leaning more towards getting the non-slip rubber sole. Because I wear my work shoes for about 12 hrs a day, my feet tend to feel a little more comfortable with rubber soles instead of leather.

Does this seem like the Comfort version will be better suited?

I also can't decide on which type of leather to get, Kangaroo sounds good because it's hopefully going to be tougher to withstand knicks and bumps during commuting, in the past I have had bad scuffs on my leather shoes which upsets me greatly! But also think the black french veal calf craftsman sounds like a mighty fine option too, what would everyone recommend for my first pair to be?

Should there be another model to consider other than the craftsman for a more formal look with suits/corporatewear?

Thanks all!

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go the comfort Craftsman - the rubber sole will last a lot longer. 99% of the people in the city will be wearing rubber soles anyway.

My advice would be to go the yearling (my pic is the yearling).

A lot of people here will probably say calf, but yearling is cheaper and a little more rugged.

Most conservative business dress types wear the yearling.

Roo is nice, but probably a little too grainy to wear with a suit.

Btw - make sure you buy online from somewhere like bootsonline - you'll save $100 retail.

STK_astoria

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a block-heeled boot into a flat heel?

Long story short, a friend who gets a corporate discount in Australia ordered (and delivered to the US) a pair of boots for me. There was a hiccup along the way somewhere and I ended up with block heels. Maybe they should just go to the marketplace?

Webbo

Reaction score
Today my first pair of R M Williams, the comfort craftsmen, arrived, chestnut yearling leather, 10.5 H WOW !!
They look great, super colour but my god are they comfortable. I'm really shocked by these right out of the box, they feel superb, already I can feel the leather moulding to my feet. I just hope this means they will not wear out quickly or get "baggy" on me. So far I love em!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads