• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lanitum

Reaction score
Hello guys, in need of some sizing advice!

I ordered a pair of R.M. Williams Comfort Turnout size 8.5 G-fit. I have now been trying on the boots in my living room.
  • They feel perhaps a tad too snug, and a bit more snug on the right boot. I can feel my right pinky toe rubbing against the inner side of the boot.
  • On both right and left boot, sometimes my big toes touch the roof of the toebox. But for the most part, the length feels okay.
Any thoughts? Would 8.5H or 9G be better?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Gonzo9

Reaction score
I was sized up in store and they put me in an H width.
My best fitting boots ever.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the sole of the Gardeners in snow/ice?
I live in Buffalo, NY where we have a lot of snow. The Gardeners work great on snow/ice and the Greasy Kip leather is perfect for the elements.

Agreed. I wear them constantly in winter. It's not like a lugged hiking boot but great for my business casual attire and compared to the comfort sole it's fantastic. I have a suede Giffford boot with the same sole that's held up great for 2-3 winters now.

asewonder

Reaction score
Agreed. I wear them constantly in winter. It's not like a lugged hiking boot but great for my business casual attire and compared to the comfort sole it's fantastic. I have a suede Giffford boot with the same sole that's held up great for 2-3 winters now.

perfect, thanks!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m think of getting one of my pairs of craftsmen resold with a thicker midsole and maybe building up the heel a bit more as well. The Gardners and Lachlans are my go-tos, but these days I find my regular craftsmen feel like slippers since I’ve been wearing work boots over dress shoes since 2020.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the sole of the Gardeners in snow/ice?

Great

1674937212825.png

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, can anyone comment on suede used on Chelsea craftsman boots? I am interested in the Chocolate Suede Craftsman model but would like to get some feedback on the material. How do you like the quality of suede, how is the nap? Where does RM source its suede material?
Also, is Robinsonshoes a legit source to order from? Has anyone ordered from them with delivery to the US?
Last but not least, how is the difference in fit and comfort between rubber/flex and leather soles? I have a rubber sole pair and it's quite comfortable, should I expect similar comfort and fit in leather sole?

ezev

Reaction score
Gents, can anyone comment on suede used on Chelsea craftsman boots? I am interested in the Chocolate Suede Craftsman model but would like to get some feedback on the material. How do you like the quality of suede, how is the nap? Where does RM source its suede material?
Also, is Robinsonshoes a legit source to order from? Has anyone ordered from them with delivery to the US?
Last but not least, how is the difference in fit and comfort between rubber/flex and leather soles? I have a rubber sole pair and it's quite comfortable, should I expect similar comfort and fit in leather sole?

I have a pair of black suede crafstman that I use regularly and they seem to have held up well through London and Dublin winters. I spray them once every few months and rotate them. Can't speak to the sourcing.

regarding rubber vs leather, I think it depends on the person. All of my crafstman are leather, when trying on the comfort models, I had to size up .5 to a 9.5G to account for the rubber insole taking up more volume.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am new to RM Williams, got a pair of comfort craftsman in Black, which fit me spot on. I also got a pair in Chestnut (comfort) but this pair fits differently and is actually bigger. The Chestnut pair appears to be from 2018, at least that's what I gathered from the box. Makes me think if the fit and shape of newer production is different, more towards a dressier boot. Anyone has a similar experience?
I am now puzzled whether I should keep the Chestnut pair or not.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am new to RM Williams, got a pair of comfort craftsman in Black, which fit me spot on. I also got a pair in Chestnut (comfort) but this pair fits differently and is actually bigger. The Chestnut pair appears to be from 2018, at least that's what I gathered from the box. Makes me think if the fit and shape of newer production is different, more towards a dressier boot. Anyone has a similar experience?
I am now puzzled whether I should keep the Chestnut pair or not.

Are they both the same style of comfort craftsman? Not comfort turnout or another?

Liam0062

Reaction score
Both are same, comfort craftsman.
I also purchased a pair of Black CC’s a few years ago. I believe the production date was 2018. Original order was 7.5G. I thought they were a bit loose, so the store in NYC sent me the 7.5F. They felt great, so I sent the 7.5G’s back. Fast forward 2021, I ordered 7.5F’s in Chestnut. They were tight and just didn‘t feel right. Same production year 2018. Sent them back for the 7.5G’s and wound up keeping the 7.5G’s. So….I have two different sizes. Although they use foot mold’s, it is still a man made process, so there will be some variation in the same sizes. Hopefully my experience helps.

Love the boots and now have 3 pairs and wear them all winter long.

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post. I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help with some info on these RM Williams boots. They were picked up at an op shop and to me they look like some sort of imitation ostrich leather. It looks like calf leather that has been embossed or stamped to make it look like ostrich. Can anybody confirm that RM Williams used this type of method at some point?

Thanks everyone! View attachment 1209913 View attachment 1209914
I’ve seen these for sale on eBay many years ago on a number of occasions. The leather has clearly been processed to look like ostrich, but they are most certainly not genuine ostrich although R.M. Williams did make boots in ostrich, but they suspended this service for unknown reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads