• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gb21

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to pick up a pair of CCs this year and am struggling to decide what colour to go for. I really, really like the idea of a black pair of chelseas (especially to wear with suits) but when I tried them on in the shop I was wearing a pair of slim olive bedford cords, and thought the black didn't quite work. The chestnut, however, really did.

My q is, can the black yearling CCs work in more casual / smarter casual get ups? Or am I better off taking the sensible route and getting a brown pair that will work with more of my wardrobe?

(Plz don't tempt me into buying two pairs...!)

If it helps, I pretty much only ever wear my black pair to give my chestnut pair a break. Almost never reach for the black as my first option.

Rebus

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to pick up a pair of CCs this year and am struggling to decide what colour to go for. I really, really like the idea of a black pair of chelseas (especially to wear with suits) but when I tried them on in the shop I was wearing a pair of slim olive bedford cords, and thought the black didn't quite work. The chestnut, however, really did.

My q is, can the black yearling CCs work in more casual / smarter casual get ups? Or am I better off taking the sensible route and getting a brown pair that will work with more of my wardrobe?

(Plz don't tempt me into buying two pairs...!)

It depends on your style. I think the brown would be more useful for a traditional smart casual or classic menswear type wardrobe. The black is bolder -- more directional and fashion-forward. Something about the toe shape combined with the sleekness of black gives a look that replaces mod zip boots or docs more easily than desert boots or oxfords.

Other colors also age more gracefully than black, if that's a consideration. My burgundy craftsmans look better every year while the black ones looked better new (IMO).

palladio211

Reaction score
I have a bunch of RMW boots in a variety of colors and leathers. I hardly ever wear my one black pair. Maybe with a suit, or if you tend to wear the mostly black NYC/LA look they would be a first choice. For anything else, I'd go with one of the browns. They just complement a much wider range of clothing IMO. They make a bunch of different shades of brown and tan, and some look better in one type of leather than another. It's hard to tell the true color without seeing them in person. Somewhere back in this thread there were some pretty good pictures of different shades lined up side by side, which is more helpful than the individual photos on the RMW website. You need to see them in the same photo and lighting to get a fair comparison of colors.

'patanoster

Reaction score
Thanks all. I’ve bought the black ones. I know they are going to be less versatile but it was exactly the fashion forward, slightly rock n roll edge that won me over. Which I guess just means I’m going to have to try and push that side of my wardrobe slightly harder… and probably means I’ve snookered myself into picking up a brown pair at some point in the future!

Snorpley

Reaction score
Nice one @'patanoster. You can't go wrong with either but it sounds like you've made a good call. When it does come time for you to look into a brown, be sure to give the Dark Tan some consideration alongside the Chestnut (if leather is the go). Suede: every colour is awesome.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I pretty much only ever wear my black pair to give my chestnut pair a break. Almost never reach for the black as my first option.
I'm the same. I have a black pair, but I haven't worn those at all compared to my chestnut.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to say wow RM, was recommending them to my mates, but now realised RM banned their non-branded dealers to sell them online discounted, it's pretty ****** to pay full rrp for them.

Yeah dumb. Wanted to order a pair recently, and not interested in paying full retail for them. I was thinking about calling bootsonline directly and seeing if they'll do me a favor?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah dumb. Wanted to order a pair recently, and not interested in paying full retail for them. I was thinking about calling bootsonline directly and seeing if they'll do me a favor?
Yeah, definitely do that, got nothing to lose. probably keep the outcome to yourself so bootsline won't get in trouble.

lookingoodbarry

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has rocked the Adelaide boots as unisex . Never seen them in person so I didn't know in the heal is too tapered or not.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
I have several pairs of comfort turnouts and am looking to get to the craftsmans. Thinking of the Signature based on leather quality. Can anyone comment on the leather quality of recent pairs of Signature RMs?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F8589E67-EE2C-4366-A487-D5EC450635DB.jpeg
Polished my little one’s Blundstones, then decided to give my RMs some love too. I love the Blaxlands, leather insoles so my feet don’t get sweaty and long lasting rubber soles.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of comfort turnouts and am looking to get to the craftsmans. Thinking of the Signature based on leather quality. Can anyone comment on the leather quality of recent pairs of Signature RMs?
I have one pair of black signature RM, the calf is a lot more fine than yearling, and it also feels more tight around the instep. Though whether it’s worth the extra 400 bux, it’s the buyer’s call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads