• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abkain

Reaction score
Do you guys have opinions on RM Williams (CC in tobacco suede) vs. Buttero Floyd in their similar colored suede vs Lucchese Jonah in their tan colored suede? Obviously the Buttero and Lucchese boots are side zips and not the same as the RMW but in terms of what fits they seem to work with? Looking for a boot to wear with denim jackets, Valstar Clint (in brown suede) and maybe some other suede outerwear. The RMW seems like they would work better in CM oriented fits while the other two maybe more Western type fits. I would ideally like something versatile enough to cover both ends. Lucchese is also more expensive but if it is a better built boot I could go for it. @troika it seems like you have all three (and talked about this in length before) but I am still undecided. I am inclined to go for the Buttero due to cost and availability (from NMWA) but the last seems a bit blobby to work for more smart outfits. Any feedback would be appreciated!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have opinions on RM Williams (CC in tobacco suede) vs. Buttero Floyd in their similar colored suede vs Lucchese Jonah in their tan colored suede? Obviously the Buttero and Lucchese boots are side zips and not the same as the RMW but in terms of what fits they seem to work with? Looking for a boot to wear with denim jackets, Valstar Clint (in brown suede) and maybe some other suede outerwear. The RMW seems like they would work better in CM oriented fits while the other two maybe more Western type fits. I would ideally like something versatile enough to cover both ends. Lucchese is also more expensive but if it is a better built boot I could go for it. @troika it seems like you have all three (and talked about this in length before) but I am still undecided. I am inclined to go for the Buttero due to cost and availability (from NMWA) but the last seems a bit blobby to work for more smart outfits. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I think I need more info about the kind of style you have and what you mean by 'smart'.

I'd say it's a bit of a spectrum or choices: RMW CC is gonna be a chisel toe, Jonah is a sharper Almond toe, and Floyd's are a soft wider shape. In my opinion, a chisel toe and a wide toe can't really be interchangeable well in a fit. Also Buttero heels are short, which is not for everyone.

abkain

Reaction score
I think I need more info about the kind of style you have and what you mean by 'smart'.

I'd say it's a bit of a spectrum or choices: RMW CC is gonna be a chisel toe, Jonah is a sharper Almond toe, and Floyd's are a soft wider shape. In my opinion, a chisel toe and a wide toe can't really be interchangeable well in a fit. Also Buttero heels are short, which is not for everyone.

Thanks. That is helpful. The sharp almond toe on the Jonah is what I was trying to decipher. As far as fits, I was looking for something that would work with something like the Valstar Clint with jeans, which is casual and slightly “western” but still soft to my eye (like a kind of Italian luxe version of western) that seems to jive with the softer Buttero last shape and construction. I would also wear with denim trucker jackets and jeans. Jonah looks good with that western trucker vibe I have seen in fits online but I was not sure how it would work with something like the Clint or a cream suede field jacket/safari jacket and white jeans.

The RMW chisel toe looks “smart” to me in the sense of looking more formal so as to pair better with a more clean, classic menswear look (ie knitwear with dressier chinos or cords as well as jeans (I could be wrong on these pairings). From what you describe of the last shape, I think the Jonah will cover more ground in my wardrobe. Appreciate the feedback!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That is helpful. The sharp almond toe on the Jonah is what I was trying to decipher. As far as fits, I was looking for something that would work with something like the Valstar Clint with jeans, which is casual and slightly “western” but still soft to my eye (like a kind of Italian luxe version of western) that seems to jive with the softer Buttero last shape and construction. I would also wear with denim trucker jackets and jeans. Jonah looks good with that western trucker vibe I have seen in fits online but I was not sure how it would work with something like the Clint or a cream suede field jacket/safari jacket and white jeans.

The RMW chisel toe looks “smart” to me in the sense of looking more formal so as to pair better with a more clean, classic menswear look (ie knitwear with dressier chinos or cords as well as jeans (I could be wrong on these pairings). From what you describe of the last shape, I think the Jonah will cover more ground in my wardrobe. Appreciate the feedback!

I gotchya, and I see what you mean. Smart in the British, biz cas, banker on the weekends deal. Yeah I might steer away from the chisel toe there.

I have to say - unless money is no object to you, or you really love the brand story (ugh) I would not get the Jonah. The quality of the suede and construction feels so disappointing for the price tag. I got mine at half off, and was still annoyed. That said, they're perfectly fine. Just ok.

May I recommend the Tecovas Roy sidezips? It leans more western due to the extra applique on the shaft, but I think it's a great fit for what you're looking for, at a fraction of the cost. I'd say the quality is about he same as Buttero, and the suede is good. I wouldn't get a smooth calf from them, but the suede is just fine. Granted they're not MiUSA and they're a DTC brand with questionable politics, etc.

Here's my pair:
20211206_132028.jpg

Some photos online:
Roy-honey-suede-zip-PDP-materials_2880x1600-2100x1167-81706648-0897-4c18-a4f2-13655a825f3d_640x.jpg

204a393c2d3a25d34d17aa66376c42ba.jpg

Rebus

Reaction score

I've owned RMW, Jonahs, and Tecovas Dean (same boot in black leather), tried on the Floyd.

Agree on the Jonah's quality -- Tecovas makes a better boot for a quarter the price. I had the suede Jonah and it aged poorly. Don't waste your money.

I wear my RMW CC primarily with smart casual, but have also paired them with western wear without feeling out of place. They'll look more natural with casual clothing once they're a little worn-in, too. Have you considered getting a round-toe RMW?

Can't speak for Buttero because the last didn't work for me at all, but it seemed well made.

abkain

Reaction score
I gotchya, and I see what you mean. Smart in the British, biz cas, banker on the weekends deal. Yeah I might steer away from the chisel toe there.

I have to say - unless money is no object to you, or you really love the brand story (ugh) I would not get the Jonah. The quality of the suede and construction feels so disappointing for the price tag. I got mine at half off, and was still annoyed. That said, they're perfectly fine. Just ok.

May I recommend the Tecovas Roy sidezips? It leans more western due to the extra applique on the shaft, but I think it's a great fit for what you're looking for, at a fraction of the cost. I'd say the quality is about he same as Buttero, and the suede is good. I wouldn't get a smooth calf from them, but the suede is just fine. Granted they're not MiUSA and they're a DTC brand with questionable politics, etc.

Here's my pair:
View attachment 1715797

Some photos online:
View attachment 1715799
View attachment 1715800

Excellent insight! Appreciate the detailed feedback and for saving me from $$$ on the Jonah’s. Hadn’t read a thorough review on them before so good to know the finer points. Will definitely look into the Tecova boots. They seem to check the boxes.

abkain

Reaction score
I've owned RMW, Jonahs, and Tecovas Dean (same boot in black leather), tried on the Floyd.

Agree on the Jonah's quality -- Tecovas makes a better boot for a quarter the price. I had the suede Jonah and it aged poorly. Don't waste your money.

I wear my RMW CC primarily with smart casual, but have also paired them with western wear without feeling out of place. They'll look more natural with casual clothing once they're a little worn-in, too. Have you considered getting a round-toe RMW?

Can't speak for Buttero because the last didn't work for me at all, but it seemed well made.

Appreciate the response and info. Seems like Tecova is the way to go for what I am looking for. I still love the look of the RMW CC but will most likely look into a pair of their smooth leathers. I have thought about getting a rounder toe RMW (the Gardner) and have been eyeing a pair in black calf for a while as a more polished alternative to my Blundstone boots. Definitely in the queue.

Thanks y’all for the great feedback!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the response and info. Seems like Tecova is the way to go for what I am looking for. I still love the look of the RMW CC but will most likely look into a pair of their smooth leathers. I have thought about getting a rounder toe RMW (the Gardner) and have been eyeing a pair in black calf for a while as a more polished alternative to my Blundstone boots. Definitely in the queue.

Thanks y’all for the great feedback!

Glad I could be of help! I think Gardener is gonna be a bit unrefined for what you're looking for in this particular situation (although you've seen me praise that as the best boot ever, and now that Drakes and jcrew have them in suede...) may I suggest checking out the Turnout as well?

abkain

Reaction score
Glad I could be of help! I think Gardener is gonna be a bit unrefined for what you're looking for in this particular situation (although you've seen me praise that as the best boot ever, and now that Drakes and jcrew have them in suede...) may I suggest checking out the Turnout as well?

Yeah, Gardener would definitely be for more casual/rugged looks. I like the black but could also get with the brown suede with a more outdoorsy vibe (maybe paired with wide wale cream corduroy pants, heavy knitwear, under a beige Karakoram or ranch coat or something like that). Haven’t really explored the Turnout so thanks for that tip. Will take look!

JackTru

Reaction score
Anyone know why boots online will no longer be selling RM Williams?

Jcdc16

Reaction score
1F61B074-A8C0-4E28-BF02-A810E988B621.jpeg

man, these gardener commandos in G width are wider than my H width CC’s. If I had known that I would’ve capitalized on many G width sales…
I know Bloomingdale’s is selling these for $250 and the Rickabys for like $200 when you stack the 15% off coupon with the extra 30%.
The gardener forefront is like walking on a block so I threw in some of my thin yeezy sneaker insoles since superfeets take up way too much room.
Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering why this is the only chromexcel model they have. Worried about excessing creasing that CXL is known for…
Also, is there a description or known significant differences between the gardener and the turnout?

Last edited:

'patanoster

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to pick up a pair of CCs this year and am struggling to decide what colour to go for. I really, really like the idea of a black pair of chelseas (especially to wear with suits) but when I tried them on in the shop I was wearing a pair of slim olive bedford cords, and thought the black didn't quite work. The chestnut, however, really did.

My q is, can the black yearling CCs work in more casual / smarter casual get ups? Or am I better off taking the sensible route and getting a brown pair that will work with more of my wardrobe?

(Plz don't tempt me into buying two pairs...!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads