• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean my gardeners get a lot of wear in bad weather cuz I think it's a superior shoe for that sort of thing, however suede is a really really resilient leather. I use Tarrago spray. Really really good. Just reapply like every 3-4 months or whenever you clean your shoes.
That stuff is magic. I always end up going too long between applications but even once a year protects them fairly well.

InaYan

Reaction score
Yeah I mean my gardeners get a lot of wear in bad weather cuz I think it's a superior shoe for that sort of thing, however suede is a really really resilient leather. I use Tarrago spray. Really really good. Just reapply like every 3-4 months or whenever you clean your shoes.
Doesn't that reduce the breathability of the boots in some way?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that reduce the breathability of the boots in some way?

No.

Firstly because the spray is a coating that sits on top of the suede fibers, not filling up the pores. And second because your boots aren't all that breathable to begin with unless you have a gap somewhere, or an exhaust port.

InaYan

Reaction score
No.

Firstly because the spray is a coating that sits on top of the suede fibers, not filling up the pores. And second because your boots aren't all that breathable to begin with unless you have a gap somewhere, or an exhaust port.
Understood,lol
I probably could fix the Dominator muffler to my future boots insted of husband's bike when it arrives?

bemk

Reaction score
Does RM Williams do a Black Friday sale? I ask because virtually no stockists carry wide/H sizes so I have to order direct.
A rep told me they do not do Black Friday.

Thinking about yet another pair of the Craftsman, I phoned with them yesterday and asked, if I should wait with my order for 1 or 2 more days for a Black Friday occasion and the very simpatico Lady from down under told me the same: No BF-discount for the boots.

Jcdc16

Reaction score
Thinking about yet another pair of the Craftsman, I phoned with them yesterday and asked, if I should wait with my order for 1 or 2 more days for a Black Friday occasion and the very simpatico Lady from down under told me the same: No BF-discount for the boots.
I have seen that mid season and end of season RMW sales start around the mid-December and June timeframe… But not sure it extends to those stateside. I was also thinking about just ordering from the NYC store over the phone but their # is dead.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
Yes I wear my suedes in all weather. Originally I was very careful, but have found them to be much better than yearling in wet, especially when you spray them with the water proofing stuff.

They also seem to be much harder and don't scratch up so you can give them hell and they still look great.

InaYan

Reaction score
Yes I wear my suedes in all weather. Originally I was very careful, but have found them to be much better than yearling in wet, especially when you spray them with the water proofing stuff.

They also seem to be much harder and don't scratch up so you can give them hell and they still look great.
Are these rubber or leather sole? Thanks

bemk

Reaction score
With 4 Chestnuts (3 Craftsman with 2 of them Kangaroo and 1 Gardener) in the house and 5 black ones ( 3 Craftsman, 1 Comfort Craftsman, 1 Gardener) I thought I could enjoy a bit of diversity and just ordered a Dark Tan Craftsman at RMW.

I really had a hard time deciding between Rum and Dark Tan. The former seemed to me on pictures here and on the web like a more muted, lighter brown and the Dark Tan on some pictures quite reddish. I even considered Nutmeg, but wondered how many years I would have to wear and polish those before I get the dark tonality I was looking for.
The basic idea was to add a brown that is and stays with age well defined from Chestnut and finally I asked the Lady from RMW, if she would go for Dark Tan or for Rum then. She recommended Dark Tan as it was a brighter shade of brown and as Rum had more red in it. I followed her advice, I will like them anyway. ?

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these rubber or leather sole? Thanks

Just FYI - a few folks mentioned it, but I'll reiterate, if you Wan to wear your leather footwear in wet weather, a rubber topsole is highly recommended. There are two main brands that make it: vibram and topy, and it should be relatively inexpensive at any competent shoe place.

js0930

Reaction score
For anyone looking for a reasonable deal - Amazon has some RM Williams ranging from $350-400 - free shipping and returns. Just ordered a few pairs of Comfort Turnouts to nail down sizing - $346.50/pair.

Jcdc16

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long shipping takes from RM Williams to stateside?
And anyone know why they offer certain styles in AU and not in US, even though they ship here? I want the kangaroo black print craftsman but it’s only available on the .au site… *sigh

Last edited:

Resoling

Reaction score
Are rm williams comfort craftsman boots true to size?
Do you guys take the same size as other british brands?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads