• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
RM Williams stopped the MTO service for 3rd party retailers last week. You'll have to order directly from RM Williams Stores.
The MTO service was limited years ago. I remember that prior to 2017 you could pretty much order virtually any combination of heel, toe, and boot height that was available on the design chart. They then stopped providing this full service, and limiting the options to things such as the color of elastic, thread and pull tabs. This is what they then called their MTO service when in fact it was a seriously scaled back service offering.
In years gone by I’ve ordered RM Williams Executive boots with comfort soles in Rum yearling leather. I’ve also had Stock Agent Boots with comfort soles in Kangaroo leather. Previously you could also order boots from their archives. I think all of this ceased when they sold to LVMH.

InaYan

Reaction score
Does anyone took the Classic Craftsmans out in the rain?
Since they are the only one that perfectly fit,I started to think I might just take a pair of the classics and do my best to keep them in the best condition I can for the UK weather

InaYan

Reaction score
Are Comfort Craftsman less roomy than regular craftsman? I'm guessing the insole might make me need to go up half a size?

Does anyone know if the London stores stock narrow sizes?

I did go half size up from Classic 6H to comfort 6.5 H -they were too roomy around the instep.
CC 6.5G-same story.
So I gave up and thinking to just order back the Classics in 6 H and deal with the rain in UK trying not to damage them too much

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
Since they are the only one that perfectly fit,I started to think I might just take a pair of the classics and do my best to keep them in the best condition I can for the UK weather
Though RMW don’t recommend it you could have a cobbler put a rubber layer over the leather sole. Make sure you go to a good cobbler and a proper thin sole protector such as a thin Vibram is used.
I have a pair of the classic craftsman with a comfort inner sole, and I’ve added a thin Vibram layer over the leather sole.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though RMW don’t recommend it you could have a cobbler put a rubber layer over the leather sole. Make sure you go to a good cobbler and a proper thin sole protector such as a thin Vibram is used.
I have a pair of the classic craftsman with a comfort inner sole, and I’ve added a thin Vibram layer over the leather sole.

Yes absolutely add the rubber sole. I wear my suede craftsmans in the rain and snow all the time

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first two pair were standard Craftsman boots in yearling with leather sole (pre-comfort models). I had my cobbler add a thin vibram sole and they've held up great.

InaYan

Reaction score
Yes absolutely add the rubber sole. I wear my suede craftsmans in the rain and snow all the time
You wear suede in rain and snow!?
That's a revolutionary move lol
I read about people that don't let s single drop to touch their suede boots
Not sure about the D width-if it's fine gor my foot I'll probably try the Lady Yearlings(leather lined but rubber sole)-the fact they are not cushioned gives me a hope the toebox will fit

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wear suede in rain and snow!?
That's a revolutionary move lol
I read about people that don't let s single drop to touch their suede boots
Not sure about the D width-if it's fine gor my foot I'll probably try the Lady Yearlings(leather lined but rubber sole)-the fact they are not cushioned gives me a hope the toebox will fit

...yeah those people have no idea what they're doing.

Suede is one of the most durable and easiest to care for leathers. I spray mine with waterproofer and the rain just beads up and slides off, while the snow sits on top and brushes off when you're out of the cold. To achieve that with smooth calf, you'd need to have a layer or two of polish, and even then it will let water through. Forget about shell in the rain...

InaYan

Reaction score

Suede is one of the most durable and easiest to care for leathers. I spray mine with waterproofer and the rain just beads up and slides off, while the snow sits on top and brushes off when you're out of the cold. To achieve that with smooth calf, you'd need to have a layer or two of polish, and even then it will let water through. Forget about shell in the rain...
The ones I'm really in love with are the CC in Chocolate suede.
Now I remember walking in suede boots in 30cm deep snow and... damn you're right! I even didn't waterproof them back then,weren't even expensive boots.
You're giving me the hope I need?

InaYan

Reaction score
are classic rmw with leather insole different in fit vs comfort models expect that the comfort have a nicer innersole?
CC 6H-my big toe touches the top of the toebox
No pain ,just annoying
Classic craftsman in 6H-perfect fit

Last edited:

InaYan

Reaction score
tried the measurement table on their site but it didn't help me expect when comparing 10G (which fitted me overall great, expect in the length) so the 10.5F is 3mm less in width.
Meaning if the 10.5F fits overall as a 10G the boot will fit me good.

but.. its scary to buy without trying it on. but they don't stock this shoe so its my only choice

the thing in wide shoes i have size 9.5uk, in normal 10uk. and in rmw it will be 10.5 isn't that strange? or is it normal ppl go up 1 whole size?
So did the 10.5 F worked for ? Thanks

Jcdc16

Reaction score
Does RM Williams do a Black Friday sale? I ask because virtually no stockists carry wide/H sizes so I have to order direct.
A rep told me they do not do Black Friday.
Also, has anyone phone ordered direct from the NY store and had them shipped vs online?

palladio211

Reaction score

What waterproofing spray do you use, and how often do you reapply it?

My RMW Suede boots are my favorites. I've been careful with them and not worn them in the rain or snow. In any sort of inclement weather, I wear my Gardener boots in greasy kip. I'd like to quit worrying about the suede boots and be able to knock them about more. I recently bought some waterproofing spray from Saphir as many people recommended it. I'm just wondering how often I should reapply it. I'm going to take an older suede pair I have and use them as a test case to wear whenever I want, and see how they hold up with the waterproofing.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What waterproofing spray do you use, and how often do you reapply it?

My RMW Suede boots are my favorites. I've been careful with them and not worn them in the rain or snow. In any sort of inclement weather, I wear my Gardener boots in greasy kip. I'd like to quit worrying about the suede boots and be able to knock them about more. I recently bought some waterproofing spray from Saphir as many people recommended it. I'm just wondering how often I should reapply it. I'm going to take an older suede pair I have and use them as a test case to wear whenever I want, and see how they hold up with the waterproofing.

Yeah I mean my gardeners get a lot of wear in bad weather cuz I think it's a superior shoe for that sort of thing, however suede is a really really resilient leather. I use Tarrago spray. Really really good. Just reapply like every 3-4 months or whenever you clean your shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads