• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aquatherm

Reaction score
I want that boot! RMW had it on their UK website in Camel Suede saying it was coming soon but didn't materialise. I phone their Bond Street store to enquire but they were totally clueless.

Anyone in the know?

Hurlazza4

Reaction score

These look really nice. Looks like a less “sleek” last?
I could be wrong, but that looks like a Gardener boot but with a 270 storm welt. Couldn’t see from the description but also looks like greasy kip leather.

palladio211

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but that looks like a Gardener boot but with a 270 storm welt. Couldn’t see from the description but also looks like greasy kip leather.

Yes that's a Gardener in greasy kip, but I've never seen that sole. I remember reading on the website they offered some sort of Vibram type heavy duty sole on special order. I'd guess that's it. I have a pair of Alden boots with a special order sole like that. They call it a "commando" option, as if you might see 82nd Airborne paratroopers jumping out of C-130's wearing $800 Alden boots lol.

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Hey all!

Question regarding the Rickaby boots. Does anyone have a pair and can compare the fit of them to their comfort craftsmen boots? I'm looking to get some online, however, I am unsure of what size to order.

I currently have a 9H and 9 1/2 G in comfort craftsmen and both fits are great.

Thanks!!

Snorpley

Reaction score
Hey all!

Question regarding the Rickaby boots. Does anyone have a pair and can compare the fit of them to their comfort craftsmen boots? I'm looking to get some online, however, I am unsure of what size to order.

Thanks!!
Hi mate. My experience with them is/was that their lengths are reasonable similar. I could juuuust feel the tip of my (slightly longer) left foot on both the Craftsman and Rickaby. So that might be a good starting point (being happy with the length of your foot inside your Craftsman. Width isn’t a huge issue for Rickaby with it being a lace up and having ample room up front/height in the toe box. If you’re not near the tip of your sz9 Craftsman I’d probably Be inclined to go that way, but your socks will also be a factor (Rickaby might feel better and/or more ’appropriate’ with a thicker sock I think, so ensure you’re comparing apples to apples there).
All this is of questionable assistance so hopefully someone else might weigh in also. I really dig the Rickaby and have seen it in many awesome colour ways (and leather finishes) over the years. What colour are you looking at getting?
All the best, S.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hey all!

Thanks!!
I went TTS 9 for 9. I can wear h with thicker socks on the craftsman, g with thinner socks (same size).

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Hi mate. My experience with them is/was that their lengths are reasonable similar. I could juuuust feel the tip of my (slightly longer) left foot on both the Craftsman and Rickaby. So that might be a good starting point (being happy with the length of your foot inside your Craftsman. Width isn’t a huge issue for Rickaby with it being a lace up and having ample room up front/height in the toe box. If you’re not near the tip of your sz9 Craftsman I’d probably Be inclined to go that way, but your socks will also be a factor (Rickaby might feel better and/or more ’appropriate’ with a thicker sock I think, so ensure you’re comparing apples to apples there).
All this is of questionable assistance so hopefully someone else might weigh in also. I really dig the Rickaby and have seen it in many awesome colour ways (and leather finishes) over the years. What colour are you looking at getting?
All the best, S.

I'll be looking to get them in tobacco suede as I already have a couple other pairs of lace up boots that are leather.

Jason Kadushin

Reaction score
Did y'all see the announcement that RMW will discontinue MTO? got an email from boots online....ugh.

Snorpley

Reaction score
Did y'all see the announcement that RMW will discontinue MTO? got an email from boots online....ugh.
Man, I hadn’t heard that! But today RMW ran a bit of a train wreck ‘ask me anything’ via FB, and one of the questions (unanswered at the time) was ‘why have you cancelled MTO. I would also make sense with the reasonably recent ‘Made on Demand’ offering that had me scratching my head until I read your above comment. Looks like they are just going to severely limit the options available on MTO. Not great news hey? Could I ask you share an excerpt from the boots online email with us? Went to their website and to RMW and both must need more time to update them! Ha. Thanks for the heads up.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best place in the US to order the comfort craftsman? I'm hard to fit so I don't want to contend with a return to Australia if I order the wrong size

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best place in the US to order the comfort craftsman? I'm hard to fit so I don't want to contend with a return to Australia if I order the wrong size
Bloomingdales carries the comfort Craftsman and Turnout. Free returns.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the comfort craftsman and comfort turnout. How round/bulbous is the turnout? I typically prefer and lean towards a round toe versus a chiseled toe, but I don’t want or like really bulbous round toes. I’m considering the tobacco and the dark chocolate suede versions. Thanks!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started with Craftsman (non comfort) in 2008 but eventually settled on the round toe models (Gardner and Turnout). Both look good but the turnout isn't bulbous, just round.

L-R

Craftsman Chestnut 2008
Comfort Craftsman Choc suede 2018
Bestmade x RMW Suede Gifford 2019 (I think it's a re-named Gardner)
Comfort Turnout Rum 2020

DSC09917.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads