• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
What are people's opinion's on this fit: I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of comfort craftsman, either 8.5H or 9G. While 8.5H feels a hair too snug, 9G feels a hair too loose. (I realize this is picky, but I've never spent this much time thinking about how a pair of shoe fits to the nth degree). Both look fine from another's perspective, although when I look down at it, the 9G looks too narrow and long. No heel lift on 9G, although I'd say I feel my foot's natural movement more in the 9G, whereas on the 8.5H I feel the "squish" of the sole quite well. A little bit of leather rolling on my larger foot for the 8.5H.

Would really appreciate long term wearer's opinion on how the shoe molds, etc. I'll probably go in one more time with a thicker pair of socks to see how that feels.

InaYan

Reaction score
I placed an order with nungar on Sept. 10, 2018.
I received the boots today, June 5, 2019.

I will never do business with this guy again and suggest that others do likewise.

The wait time was very long. But that wasn't the problem.

I understand that I am buying from a third party at a discounted price, and that R.M. Williams has a vested interested in protecting their in-house business.

The problem was the complete and utter ****-off attitude from nungar.

As soon as I placed the order I was immediately contacted via email saying that half the price would be charged now and the other half when the boots shipped and would that be okay. I replied, yes. My Paypal account was immediately charged the whole price. (WTF?)

Then the long wait began. I waited quietly for the quoted 8 weeks. At which point, having heard nothing, I attempted contact via email. No response. Over the next few weeks I made various attempts via other email addresses and VPNs, thinking maybe their email client was blocking me. Nothing. They would not respond to any email that mentioned that order number. My phone plan does not include International calling. So nothing.

Then May 29 I get a notice from Australia Post saying that I have a package coming.
June 4, the boots arrive.
Today June 5, I finally get my hands on them.

Almost 10 months later.

I don't know. That seems excessive. But had I been informed of the situation I'd be okay with it.

I would suggest other U.S. residents buy directly from R.M Williams website. The last time I ordered from them I got the boots in -- if i remember correctly -- about two days -- from effing Australia! And returned them for an exchange for a smaller size -- all with free shipping and superb customer service.
Wait,did you NOT pay for sending the boots back to them? Because I am pretty sure it says that the customer is responsible for the postage costs if returning goods to RMW!

InaYan

Reaction score
Are they comfort craftsman’s? I feel like mine fit better after each use after a month
I went from 6G to 5.5 H
Ginormous heel slip on 6G and toes were too squished. Now heel slip is gone,but both boots are still bit tight at the toebox and my left big toe is scraping the roof of it. Today was the third say of wearing them for 30 min. Bit red rubbing marks on the sides of my left(bigger) feet ,but not painful at all. I really want to make them work?

InaYan

Reaction score
I've been taking real good care of my RMW lately - only wearing them a couple times a week, never consecutive days, brushing them before/after wear, spraying them with water repellent. I'm WFH so walks around the neighborhood is their only duty at this point.

Meanwhile some bogan's been wearing the same pair everyday for the last 30 years while shoveling horseshit on his farm...

I think I'm starting to realize that buying copious amounts of fancy work boots is a fetish.
That's why I bought the CC instead of Turnouts-could not get over it that I will be paying £375 for boots that are not having chiselled toeboxes lol
Despite that they are not the most " Comfort" I have had haha

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
I joined the club with a pair of 9G's. Snug and perfect on my left, a little big on my right. Wouldn't say it doesn't fit, but am feeling an ever so slight heel raise. However, it is still well fitting across my in-step.

I've been wearing them around the house for an hour a day, and yesterday something funny started that continues today: my right shoe makes a little woosh sound everytime I take a step, almost like a muted squeak. I can recreate the sound when I'm stationary by pushing down on the ball of my foot and lifting up.

Is this something that goes away as the sole flexes? Or is it a sign of something worse?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I joined the club with a pair of 9G's. Snug and perfect on my left, a little big on my right. Wouldn't say it doesn't fit, but am feeling an ever so slight heel raise. However, it is still well fitting across my in-step.

I've been wearing them around the house for an hour a day, and yesterday something funny started that continues today: my right shoe makes a little woosh sound everytime I take a step, almost like a muted squeak. I can recreate the sound when I'm stationary by pushing down on the ball of my foot and lifting up.

Is this something that goes away as the sole flexes? Or is it a sign of something worse?

I had that experience with Gardeners and maybe briefly with the Craftsman and both went away.

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
I had that experience with Gardeners and maybe briefly with the Craftsman and both went away.

Hmmm, I hope so. The whoosh is driving me a little nuts. The salesperson confirmed that it is the noise of "air compression" and not a squeak (which would apparently indicate a problem) but couldn't say whether it would or wouldn't go away. RM Williams told me to talc the insides (although their customer service seemed to understand it as a squeak--a high pitched noise--instead of a whoosh) and if that didn't work to send them to Australia! I bought them last week so that seems a little...silly.

Although it just occurred to me, the noise only happens when I lift my foot off the ground. I wonder if it could be the rubber sole making a sticky noise against the ground?

Last edited:

Vindig2021

Reaction score
Hi all, after reading through this thread brilliant thread for a long time I bit the bullet & bought a pair of Comfort Craftsman Black 7G from Barry, they are too small, I wore them once convincing myself they would work which they didn't, too small is too small. So they have had one wear which resulted in the normal creasing that happens, other than that they are perfect. I've attached a pics, looking to sell them on €200 which is fair I hope? I'll post more detailed pics than these quick ones. Any interest let me know, I'm based in Ireland.
RMwilliams2.jpg
RM Williams1.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
31DFA98E-8703-4271-A1C0-DF1B09729F1E.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, I can't wait for my beautiful wrinkled banana leather. Are these chestnut? Age? And what are those soles?
Yep, chestnut. They’re replacement rubber soles.

jargo14

Reaction score

Where did you end up buying from?

InaYan

Reaction score
Hi all, after reading through this thread brilliant thread for a long time I bit the bullet & bought a pair of Comfort Craftsman Black 7G from Barry, they are too small, I wore them once convincing myself they would work which they didn't, too small is too small. So they have had one wear which resulted in the normal creasing that happens, other than that they are perfect. I've attached a pics, looking to sell them on €200 which is fair I hope? I'll post more detailed pics than these quick ones. Any interest let me know, I'm based in Ireland. View attachment 1590254 View attachment 1590255
Hi,just out of curiosity,how small are they exactly? Very short in length ,toebox causes very cramped toes or the width is not for you? I got my Comf.Craftsman and my big toe slightly scrapes the roof of the toebox( left foot) . They are fairly new so I am expecting them to get looser as I break them in.
Had the half size bigger but the heel slip was too much.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,just out of curiosity,how small are they exactly? Very short in length ,toebox causes very cramped toes or the width is not for you? I got my Comf.Craftsman and my big toe slightly scrapes the roof of the toebox( left foot) . They are fairly new so I am expecting them to get looser as I break them in.

For something like this I recommend using a shoe tree that's one size larger to get the right size for you. It should stretch it out a bit

Last edited:

Vindig2021

Reaction score

Hi Inayan, its the length my toe is just too close to the top, I'd hoped they would stretch but with just one wear I knew they were too small, I tried 2 different sizes at 50 delivery each time, still no joy. I'm gutted but need to sell to add something else that works. I was told they are very close \ identical to Loke sizes but loake are bigger, I picked up a waxed rough-out pair of Loake Chatsworth in 7 they are wider \ bigger in size (a great pair of boots better value then Crocket & Jones)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads