• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@nqtri theyre cheaper if you directly from Bootsonline or Nungar. Check em out and see.

If you want something that can remotely pass as dressy, don't go for gardener. They're gonna be fairly bulbous for you still.

If you have the budget, stick with RMW and check out stuff on ebay. They're gonna be some of the best you can find in that price range.

Reaction score
Shout out to the SoHo (NYC) store for their expertise and patience in helping me select these made-to-order Wentworth's. This was with only one brief visit to the store before the pandemic began and never seeing a pair of Wentworth's in person or being able to return to the store during the pandemic. I'm posting these for the benefit of anyone else considering a similar pair.

The color is burnished Bordeaux with a natural edge, rubber sole and -- most importantly -- a leather insole!

The Wentworth wasn't even on my radar until the guys in the SoHo store heard what I liked about my Gardeners and didn't like about my Craftsman (both pictured as well). The Wentworth and the Gardener both have a leather insole, while other comforts have synthetic. If my next pair isn't a replacement for my Gardeners, I'll seriously consider the Wentworth in another color.

IMG_8549.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

Left to right, Craftsman in black (2016), Gardener in brown (2014), Wentworth in burnished bordeaux (as described above, 2021).

FYI, I waited 13 weeks, but it was well worth it. In my opinion, they're more perfect than what I expected.

Sadly, it appears Trimly trees (pictured inside my black Craftsmans) are not currently available outside Australia and New Zealand, but I understand from Trimly that they are working on a solution.

Hope this is helpful to anyone out there shopping for a mostly casual, business casual RM Williams boot.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shout out to the SoHo (NYC) store for their expertise and patience in helping me select these made-to-order Wentworth's. This was with only one brief visit to the store before the pandemic began and never seeing a pair of Wentworth's in person or being able to return to the store during the pandemic. I'm posting these for the benefit of anyone else considering a similar pair.

The color is burnished Bordeaux with a natural edge, rubber sole and -- most importantly -- a leather insole!

The Wentworth wasn't even on my radar until the guys in the SoHo store heard what I liked about my Gardeners and didn't like about my Craftsman (both pictured as well). The Wentworth and the Gardener both have a leather insole, while other comforts have synthetic. If my next pair isn't a replacement for my Gardeners, I'll seriously consider the Wentworth in another color.

View attachment 1530607

View attachment 1530608
Left to right, Craftsman in black (2016), Gardener in brown (2014), Wentworth in burnished bordeaux (as described above, 2021).

FYI, I waited 13 weeks, but it was well worth it. In my opinion, they're more perfect than what I expected.

Sadly, it appears Trimly trees (pictured inside my black Craftsmans) are not currently available outside Australia and New Zealand, but I understand from Trimly that they are working on a solution.

Hope this is helpful to anyone out there shopping for a mostly casual, business casual RM Williams boot.
I was considering the Gardener but now seriously looking at the Wentworth now! Do you take the same size in all three styles and do they fit the same?

Reaction score
I was considering the Gardener but now seriously looking at the Wentworth now! Do you take the same size in all three styles and do they fit the same?

I have 10.5 G in all three styles now. The Craftsman (with leather outsole) is loose all around, particularly in the toe box due to the chisel toe shape (I think). The Gardener has been comfortable from day 1 and I get more compliments on them than the Craftsman. We'll see how the Wentworth goes -- so far, really well -- but the advantages for me are 1) the leather rather than synthetic insole on a rubber outsole, 2) the ability to get a nicer leather and color, and 3) the toe shape (slimmer profile than Gardener).

If you're going to wear them in the rain/snow, I would definitely get the Gardener, as the leather is more resistant to that weather and the sole is treaded. They're also less dear, so you might feel more comfortable wearing them (mentally). I suppose you could get the treaded sole on a Wentworth by custom order, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering getting the Gardener or the Lachlan.

I live in Buffalo, New York and plan to wear them in the winter. I don’t want to ruin my new Black Comfort Craftsman’s (which are awesome). We usually have about 5 months of snow, rain or slush. Do i go with the Greasy kip or Vesta leather? I am leaning toward the Lachlan due to the chisel toe, but am more concerned about which leather would work best.

Comments on which would be a better choice are appreciated.

The leather should hold up fine but the CC sole is really slippery even in wet weather. I could not recommend them for any use on ice/snow/slush.

bluemaxwell

Reaction score
Does the toe on the H width Craftsman look basically the same as the G width Craftsman?

Does the toe on the H width Turnouts look significantly different from the G width Turnouts?

I've been looking for comparison photos but have been coming up empty. I like the look of the Wentworth/Turnout but don't want to end up with a different toe than I'm imagining.

bluemaxwell

Reaction score
Here to answer my own question in case someone else has the same question!

Does the toe on the H width Craftsman look basically the same as the G width Craftsman?

Does the toe on the H width Turnouts look significantly different from the G width Turnouts?

I've been looking for comparison photos but have been coming up empty. I like the look of the Wentworth/Turnout but don't want to end up with a different toe than I'm imagining.

In short, the Craftsman toe looks basically the same in an H vs a G.

OK, here, hopefully, are some pictures of the 10.5H and 11.5G Craftsmen, as compared to each other and to 11.5 EEE Park Avenues and 12 EEE AE Harrisons. I was struck that 11.5 RMWs, which should be the equivalent of 12.5 AEs, are still measurably shorter than the 11.5 AEs, and that they are no narrower than even the widest AEs, although I had trouble conveying this fact in pictures. I hope someone finds these useful in trying to figure out sizing.
Here is the 10.5H (on left) alongside the 11.5G (not on left):
rmw01copy-vi.jpg

Here they are again, same orientation. I had depth-of-field issues, but I think you can still tell that the shorter wides are pretty much the same width as the longer mediums:

rmw02copy-vi.jpg

From the front this time. From here, if anything, the wides look somewhat narrower than the mediums (which are a size larger):

rmw03copy-vi.jpg

Once more, better showing the difference in length:

rmw04copy-vi.jpg

Here's the 11.5G next to a Park Avenue 11.5 EEE. As noted, the PAs are maybe ever so slightly longer, despite theoretically being a size smaller:

rmw06copy-vi.jpg

Same two shoes again, showing (hopefully) that they are pretty much the same size:

rmw07copy-vi.jpg

If I could take a picture with the soles right against each other, the size similarity would be even clearer. Anyway, I thought this might interest those still struggling with RMW sizing issues.
Comfort Craftsman in chocolate suede, circa 2018, Regular chestnut Craftsman on leather sole, circa 2008. Chestnut is a 10 AU in wide (H), CC is a 10G AU.

Bit of a sizing error on my part. I tried on the comfort craftsman in 08 at the NYC RMW store. It felt snug so when I eventually bought the boots from bootsonline, I sized up to a H width in the regular craftsman. Without the comfort insole, they were too wide so I added a Superfeet insole. It worked.

Last year I picked up the CC and just went TTS and they fit fine. Have to say, I am a big fan of the CC. They are amazingly comfortable. I'm not sure how long they'll last feeling that comfy compared to the standard leather insole of the craftsman, but for now, I'm very pleased.

View attachment 1122833

I'm looking at replacing some 10 yr old Blundstones with RMW. I want a lugged type sole so I'm thinking Gardner. Tried on the Comfort Turnout and Gardner and both are great but I prefer the sole on the gardner.

This looks just like a gardner to me but Bestmade calls it the Gifford. Love the color but I just can't see paying full MSRP ($495) for these. The chocolate suede were on sale at Bloomingdale's for 30% off. That's a fair price IMO.

At bootsonline they come in at sub $300.

View attachment 1122853

And this is my only example of an H width Turnout, but it looks significantly different from a G width Turnout.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed/knows the answer behind some of the discrepancy in the toe shape on different Gardener boots. I tried on a pair in 9G, and eventually bought a pair in 9.5H that came recently. Didn't notice until I looked at the photo of my 9G's but the toe on them was much more rounded, whereas the pair I received had a more squared/chiseled end (though still more 'round' than a craftsmen model). Is it just because of the width? Seems odd that a size difference could cause such a change in shape.

When looking up stock images for the Gardeners I've know noticed that some have the more blunt toe, and some the more rounded. Just wondering if there's any rhyme or reason to it! Can't really decide which I prefer, not that it matters at this point.

As you can see in the photos, the 9G is much more round/pointer (its next to a craftsmen model) and the 9.5H is much more like a craftsmen in its toe shape.

View attachment 898885

View attachment 898887

This is allegedly due to the last design.

If anyone has more examples of an H width Turnout, I'd really appreciate it!

CloudLi

Reaction score
There is a guy on eBay has resource in AU, he is selling craftsman for dirt cheap. If anyone is interested can PM me for details. I received the boots, they are authentic, but got the size wrong. Anyone wants craftsman in size 5G?

basstoyourface

Reaction score
So I was doing some reading and discovered the CPTPP, of which Australia is a part of.

This means that just like CUSMA (replaced NAFTA), There would be no DUTY on inbound packages, only SALES Tax. This is huge, when apparel is among the highest taxed items cross borders (20% and up, ughh).

I'm quite certain places like EastDane or EndClothing, SSENSE etc etc, don't even realize and ding you if they charge it at checkout. If you're getting it on delivery, choose self-clear & ensure you take advantage of this when you'reat CBSA.

I'm 99% sure this is the case under this FTA agreement.

Now someone buy my Black 9.5G or find me a 10F brown/nice chinchilla for a deal.

Has anyone ordered from Bootsonline to Toronto recently? How has that experience been? Get dinged with customs?

....) and the biggest discount I can find in Canada, otherwise it seems like $700.00 is the price to pay.

.....I feel like I’d be paying duties regardless even if my cousin marks it as a gift with a value of $50.

Attachments

• 20201219_155002.jpg
    20201219_155002.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 241

Liam0062

Reaction score
I am ordering a pair of Gardener‘s from either Boots Online or Nungar. Shipping to the USA. Seems like the group orders from both. Any pros/cons for either company appreciated.

Reaction score
I am ordering a pair of Gardener‘s from either Boots Online or Nungar. Shipping to the USA. Seems like the group orders from both. Any pros/cons for either company appreciated.

If you're in the USA and ordering something stock, my recommendation would be to call the RM Williams store in SoHo (NYC). The shipping is fast and usually free, and returns/exchanges are easy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads