• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
Hey how did this end up working out for you? Been wanting to buy a pair of Comfort Craftsman in Chestnut. Wanted to shop local at ABC but online is looking to be the cheapest option.

I decided not to do it. They didn't reply to my email, and have enough people warning me that it will likely get duty charges, making it seem like it's not worth it. The only other option is SSENSE but it seems like they only offer the regular width. I've been on the waitlist since August at ABC for my size/color combo, but they either forgot or haven't gotten it in yet.

The SSENSE sale is great if they have your size (I received a pair earlier in the year, just wasn't wide enough, but sending it back was seamless) and the biggest discount I can find in Canada, otherwise it seems like $700.00 is the price to pay.

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
Question on widths:
1) How much difference and where is exactly is this difference when you go up in width, say from a G to an H?
2) Is going up a half size better than a width for toe space?

Background:
Hi all, I'm wondering if someone can help me out with this sizing issue I'm experiencing. I've been eyeing the Comfort Craftsman for a couple of months now and after using the sizing instructions and charts, my length and width circumference take me exactly to size 8G. Weird to me at first because I've always considered myself a wide footer, my AE Park Aves are in a 9E and fit perfect, but I'm happy to try a G width since that's all they sell here in the US if I don't purchase directly from their NYC store. So, during the recent Eastdane promo, I pulled the trigger on an 8G since their return policy is great. When they showed up, everything fit comfortably snug (even the widest width area of the boots) EXCEPT the area where my toes are. It feels like my toes are being squeezed a bit on both sides so that I can't comfortably wriggle my toes. They're cramped and it feels like the boots are forcing my toes to cup a tiny bit, just overall more restrictive and uncomfortable. There isn't any pain involved though.

So, after returning the Comfort Craftsmans, I'm wondering if I should try a half size up to 8.5G or test my luck on an 8H? I just don't want to compromise the snug fit around the ankles and forefoot too much in order get more toe room (a bit of compromise is no problem). Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. I've read as much as I can and it seems there are people who chose either option and it worked for them, so that's why I phrased my question with as much detail as I can. I wish there were multiple widths available to try, but unfortunately that isn't the case here in the US.

Thanks!

This was my exact issue--Comfort Craftsman in 8G, perfect everywhere except my left foot's toebox. It was squeezed and uncomfortable, and while I could probably have ridden it out, all the sources I consulted said the toebox never stretches.

I tried on an 8H and it fit like a dream. I was stunned at how much of a difference it made. Still good fit everywhere, snug in the right places, but the extra toe space made a huge difference. They felt like basketball shoes they were so comfortable. I'd 100% recommend trying the wider size before sizing up.

jargo14

Reaction score
I decided not to do it. They didn't reply to my email, and have enough people warning me that it will likely get duty charges, making it seem like it's not worth it. The only other option is SSENSE but it seems like they only offer the regular width. I've been on the waitlist since August at ABC for my size/color combo, but they either forgot or haven't gotten it in yet.

The SSENSE sale is great if they have your size (I received a pair earlier in the year, just wasn't wide enough, but sending it back was seamless) and the biggest discount I can find in Canada, otherwise it seems like $700.00 is the price to pay.
Mans that’s too bad. Weighting out my options right now. Was thinking of sending it to a family member in Australia right now and having them send it out to me. But it’d be paying shipping twice and I feel like I’d be paying duties regardless even if my cousin marks it as a gift with a value of $50.

Recently picked up a 9G from ABC and I’ve been wanting to christen them but can’t really stomach the $700 cost, especially cause I got my CC in black for $350.

ibo

Reaction score
1. https://bfy.tw/PqE4
2. Widest part of foot.
Here is the official size/width guide from the RM Williams site:

Thanks guys, I did consult those size charts, both length and width, when sizing myself to an 8G (264mm x 248mm to be exact). I should've been more clear and that was my mistake. The info I was seeking was more of a qualitative instead of quantitative assessment of changes between trying on shoes of the same length but different widths. Because for some shoes and boots that I've tried, a wider last affects not only the widest part of the foot, but also the instep and/or heel and/or ankle area. For lace-up boots the difference can be compensated by lacing tighter/loser, but for chelsea boots, this could be a make-or-break thing.

This was my exact issue--Comfort Craftsman in 8G, perfect everywhere except my left foot's toebox. It was squeezed and uncomfortable, and while I could probably have ridden it out, all the sources I consulted said the toebox never stretches.

Thank you! This is good to know. I was afraid a wider width would render the heel and ankle too loose, as the "quantitative" increase in width measurement is greater than that of going up half a size (8G to 8H = 6mm diff in width, 8G to 8.5G = 3mm diff in width).

Last edited:

jargo14

Reaction score
Yep a slim leg is a must for chelseas, jeans or chinos preferable. Also agreed on how they should end although I have seen some people (Raw denim fans mainly) go for a look where they turn up the hem, personally that is not for me but seems popular in some circles. Also, if you go bush you could probably pull them off with shorts but I can't see that working in the city somehow. :p

For socks, if wearing with dress pants then I'd choose a long/patterned sock since it will be seen as the hem is likely to come up more, but with chinos and jeans the hem never gets high enough that the socks will be seen so I just go for whatever is comfiest, as long as the sock is above the edge of the boot. Usually just a plain thicker wool sock.

Today's pairing, apologies not able to take photos in the office for a sensible picture, took one in the car when out to lunch.

View attachment 1316393
Man these are SOOOO sweet. I'm about to pull the trigger on my second pair of CC in Chestnut but I'm heavily reconsidering it and getting these instead. How would you say the suede CC is in sizing in comparison the ones with the yearling upper?

Might get these then the Chestnuts or get these after the Chestnuts but either way I NEED it in my growing collection.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Man these are SOOOO sweet. I'm about to pull the trigger on my second pair of CC in Chestnut but I'm heavily reconsidering it and getting these instead. How would you say the suede CC is in sizing in comparison the ones with the yearling upper?

Might get these then the Chestnuts or get these after the Chestnuts but either way I NEED it in my growing collection.

Not sure what model those were, but they look identical to my Blaxlands in Havana Suede that I was wearing today. Looking to find some aftermarket insoles for these - they have the leather insoles only in this style. I need some arch support and something to take up a wee bit of volume.

62916028737__C22F09D0-AC4B-4AC6-9966-06698F9F8661.JPG

jargo14

Reaction score
Not sure what model those were, but they look identical to my Blaxlands in Havana Suede that I was wearing today. Looking to find some aftermarket insoles for these - they have the leather insoles only in this style. I need some arch support and something to take up a wee bit of volume.

View attachment 1512829

They're Havana Comfort Craftsmans. Jykaes mentions he got them at a factor sale but they're now available for MTO. AFAIK, the only difference between Blaxland and Comfort Craftsmans is the leather insole.

How would you say the fit of those Blaxlands are compared to the CC?

Yes. Funny story, I have contacted RMW directly a couple of times over the past couple months trying to get them to do these for me as a bespoke/MTO, because they only offered Havana in the Blaxland. They refused even though it's the same last, so I gave up. I then went to their yearly Adelaide warehouse sale (I live where they're made) where they dump all their odd stock and seconds in milk crates for you to sort through and buy, and lo and behold they had these in Comfort Craftsman, which they had told me they didn't/wouldn't make. So I picked them up half price marked as seconds (See the hole at the back) but I mix and matched a pair so neither boot has any defects. It was a confusing but very welcome surprise.

Lo and behold Spring Summer 2019 launches last week and look what's now on offer, the impossible Havana comfort craftsmans! Oh well, I paid half price, I can't complain!

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
They're Havana Comfort Craftsmans. Jykaes mentions he got them at a factor sale but they're now available for MTO. AFAIK, the only difference between Blaxland and Comfort Craftsmans is the leather insole.

How would you say the fit of those Blaxlands are compared to the CC?

I have a pair of Comfort Turnouts in the same size (no CCs) and they are more snug than the Blaxland. The Blaxland has more volume because the leather insole has a shorter profile compared to the comfort insole. Length and width are the same. The Blaxlands have no real arch support, but I need it since I have high arch feet. I'll track something down to stick in there. BTW I got the Blaxlands at the Manhattan store last year on sale at 50% off. Love 'em!

jargo14

Reaction score
I have a pair of Comfort Turnouts in the same size (no CCs) and they are more snug than the Blaxland. The Blaxland has more volume because the leather insole has a shorter profile compared to the comfort insole. Length and width are the same. The Blaxlands have no real arch support, but I need it since I have high arch feet. I'll track something down to stick in there. BTW I got the Blaxlands at the Manhattan store last year on sale at 50% off. Love 'em!

Yeah seems like a lot of people get their Havana suedes at discount. Been searching around and have been unsuccessful.

Also for the arches, try the superfeet dress half inserts. Thread on reddit [here]. OP uses them for his flat feet.

fred2306

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a pair of comfort craftsman in Europe and I was wondering which size to take...I have a couple of Timberlands all in EU44/US10/UK9,5. I also have a pair of Loake shoes in 9,5 and wide fit.
After measuring my foot length on a piece of paper and checking with the RM Williams size guide it should be a UK10/EU45. What would you do?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Dependant on the Loake and how they fit I’d be tempted by a 9.5 UK in a H fitting. If you’re ok with a Loake G (wide fit for them) then the H for RM will be similar I’d think. Going up half sizes in narrower widths causes other issues like heel slip. Harder to come by but order where you can return if necessary.

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a pair of comfort craftsman in Europe and I was wondering which size to take...I have a couple of Timberlands all in EU44/US10/UK9,5. I also have a pair of Loake shoes in 9,5 and wide fit.
After measuring my foot length on a piece of paper and checking with the RM Williams size guide it should be a UK10/EU45. What would you do?

I typically wear an 11 US in all Nike, Adidas, and Reebok sneakers. When I got my first pair of RM's, I went and got fitted. They ended sizing me (and they fit great) to a size 9 Australian, which is a 10 US.

Hopefully this helps.

woadwarrior

Reaction score
Hi styleforumites!
I ended up going with Black DFlex in the Yearling leather for formal situations for my first pair but I am checking out a second pair of RMs in brown this time, for everyday wear.
I did try the Comfort Craftsman but my arches really kicked up a fuss so I had to go with the DFCs. This probably rules out the All Rounders that I was looking at before.

I'm probably going to get a MTO DFlex, but I'm a bit torn between brown Vesta of the Lachlan and the brown Crazy Horse in the new season range. Has anyone got any Crazy Horse RMs? I would be interested to hear about the weather resistance and durability of the leather, particularly in comparison to the Vesta. Also there seems to be a lot of variability in both leathers as to the actual shade of brown you get. Just how dark a brown are your ones?

woadwarrior

Reaction score
View attachment 1525870

Vesta brown I've seen really ranges in shade. In fact, I think these boots I picked up are Vesta Brown, and each has a different shade.
Each boot has a different shade? Wow, if I hadn't have seen your pic I would have been dubious - but yep, there it is. I have been told that if apply RM Saddle Dressing it will darken the leather. Do you know if that is true or have you tried it? Also, were those factory seconds or something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics