• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinchillas today, gents:

20201009_chinchillas.jpg

woadwarrior

Reaction score
For those interested in a first pair of RM Williams, but worried about cost, the Comfort Allrounder is still relatively inexpensive at $315 US. They come with the "comfort" rubber sole, which is a little less formal but much more practical (less slippery) than the leather sole, and can still be worn in fairly formal settings - certainly with a sport coat and slacks. I own both a brown and a black pair. View attachment 1457547
Mate, that is exactly the sort of boot I'm looking for. However I can't find any All Rounders anywhere. The Vesta boots are on the way out and the only Oily Kip boots left are Gardeners (which just isn't my thing) to those awful Yard 365 monstrosities.

What is a bloke to do if they live in a frequently wet and stormy environment?
I can't afford to move.

May I ask where you got them?

ezev

Reaction score
what size do you wear in general (CJ/EG/GG/AM or any reference point besides RM Williams Craftsmen)

I took a 9UK in C&J Coniston (325 last) and in the Chelsea V. Could have done with a 8.5UK on both but I wear these with thick socks + insoles.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mate, that is exactly the sort of boot I'm looking for. However I can't find any All Rounders anywhere. The Vesta boots are on the way out and the only Oily Kip boots left are Gardeners (which just isn't my thing) to those awful Yard 365 monstrosities.

I can't afford to move.

Where do you live? Bootsonline or nungar should have them for you

woadwarrior

Reaction score
Where do you live? Bootsonline or nungar should have them for you
NZ. I emailed them both of those stores asking them, but have not heard back yet. I heard the Nungar bloke was a bit **** with emails so wasn't expecting much there.

The Stable Door already told me that they had nothing in stock... so that was fast customer service :D but.. no boots.

redboat

Reaction score

I can't afford to move.

Here you go:

woadwarrior

Reaction score
Here you go:
Just wondering - did you order the same size in the All Rounders as you wear in CCs? I believe the All Rounders are unlined right? I'm interested to hear if there were any sizing implications.
Did you find the lack of a lining the the ARs meant your feet sweat more? At least that is what I assume a lining is there to prevent...
EDIT I should have simply put this in my earlier reply. Sorry about that...

Last edited:

redboat

Reaction score
Just wondering - did you order the same size in the All Rounders as you wear in CCs? I believe the All Rounders are unlined right? I'm interested to hear if there were any sizing implications.
Did you find the lack of a lining the the ARs meant your feet sweat more? At least that is what I assume a lining is there to prevent...
EDIT I should have simply put this in my earlier reply. Sorry about that...
I have two pairs of All Rounders (black and brown) and one other pair of RM Williams; they are in a brown suede, and I think they are the "Dynamic Flex Craftsman" model but I don't remember for sure. This suede pair is fully lined. At any rate, I got the exact same size as the All Rounders and they fit exactly the same. The lack of lining isn't really noticeable to me since I wear socks, usually thick wool ones.

woadwarrior

Reaction score
I have two pairs of All Rounders (black and brown) and one other pair of RM Williams; they are in a brown suede, and I think they are the "Dynamic Flex Craftsman" model but I don't remember for sure. This suede pair is fully lined. At any rate, I got the exact same size as the All Rounders and they fit exactly the same. The lack of lining isn't really noticeable to me since I wear socks, usually thick wool ones.
Thanks for the reply redboat.
I usually wear thin socks myself (as that is all that I have in my cupboard) but I am aware most people on the forum here wear thicker 'Explorer' type socks with their RMs & thus recommend the same.

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of RMW boots and love them - but I’m curious, do you feel like RMW has lost popularity in the enthusiast community? This thread used to be super popular and has been helpful in getting sizing advice, but seems kind of dead now.

ezev

Reaction score
I wanted to repost my sizing experience because searching through this thread was quite painful with the abbreviations used for comfort and classic.

TL;DR: size up .5 in the Comfort models. the rubber takes up a ton of room. Classic Craftsman was true to size.

Brannock: 10D.

RM Williams Classic Craftsman 8.5G: I bought these a long time ago and took an 8.5G and they have been my go to pair for 7 years now. I suppose they've stretched and molded quite well to my foot now.

RM Williams Comfort Turnout 8.5G: The rubber sole and insole mixed made these way too tight. The rubber inside takes up a ton of volume on the inside of the boot, especially in the toe area. My top of my toes scraped heavily against the boot, pushed up into the top and irritated. I wore them around for a few hours in my apartment and could never adjust to the cramped feeling.

Went to the London store to get properly measured and turns out I'm actually a 9G.

I traded in my Comfort Turnouts as part of their trade in program last week and ordered 3 new pairs: Comfort Craftsman in 9G and 9.5G, and Classic Craftsman in 9G for sizing. The associate did offer to send them to the factory and resize them up a full size for 100 quid, didn't seem worth the risk if they still didn't fit.

Classic Craftsman in 9g is a perfect fit with all socks. Comfort 9G was tight in the toe cap again, similar to the 8.5G) 9.5G was a better fit in the comfort models.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of RMW boots and love them - but I’m curious, do you feel like RMW has lost popularity in the enthusiast community? This thread used to be super popular and has been helpful in getting sizing advice, but seems kind of dead now.

I'm not sure RMW was ever all that popular with the enthusiast community, the GYW crowd. That definitely lives with service type of boots like Alden, Viberg, etc. As to the posting frequency, I think that's just styleforum in general.

Last edited:

Ramblin

Reaction score
A little boot Appreciation of my only pair of RM Williams - khaki suede turnouts. I think troika's right regarding the enthusiasm for service boots, at least in the US. I'd imagine most RMW enthusiasts / collectors are Aussies.

IMG_8859.jpg

probablycantaffordit

Reaction score
Longtime RMW fan here. I've owned 4 since I started collecting approx. 10 years ago. 2 bought/sold via ebay and 2 purchased through BootsOnline that I still have. All craftsman or comfort craftsman with chisel tow. IIRC they were one of the first to offer a Chelsea with the seam along with spine, which was one of their main selling points (along with their lower price). Other brands do that now and with so few stockists in the US, its hard for the brand to gain popularity. I think they're great value if you buy them online for $350, but theyve got too much competition in the $500-range which is the price at Nordstrom's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads