• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpeedBird

Reaction score
A question for the experts...

My left foot is larger than my right, almost half a size.

Got a pair of Comfort Craftmans in size 8G online. First boot/leather shoe of this kind/quality/price for me. They fit perfectly on the right foot, but are snug around the instep for the left foot. Left foot toe box seems to be very snug as well. I wouldn't say it doesn't fit, but it's tight and uncomfortable.

I'm planning on breaking them in 20mins-1hr a day while I work from home. Will the left boot stretch enough to be comfortable?

Various websites say the leather doesn't stretch, but will ease and mold to my foot. I'm not sure what that means actually.

Any help appreciated!

Return then if you can. And get the Factory to make you a Made to Order pair with one half a size larger. Therefore Left foot boot 8.5G and Right foot 8G. Problem solved. Only way to fit perfect. Its common the factory do this method.

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
If its uncomfortable immediately, you'll be fighting a tough battle. If the tightness is felt after awhile of wear, you have a better chance of it fitting once you've broken them in.

In my experience, the yearling responds well to isopropyl alcohol/leather stretching conditioners and using toe/instep stretchers. It's harder to stretch the areas where the elastic/seams are. The very end of the toebox (where the structure/celastic is) won't stretch either.

That's quite curious. So in your experience, the "break in" of the shoe doesn't equate to any stretch along the instep? I'm not too worried about the elastic area or the toe-box, as they feel fine.

zhenjie

Reaction score
That's quite curious. So in your experience, the "break in" of the shoe doesn't equate to any stretch along the instep? I'm not too worried about the elastic area or the toe-box, as they feel fine.

It will a little bit. But if you're in pain now, it may only stretch it out so your comfortable for a bit, and then you'll get discomfort after a longer wear. That's the gamble.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinchillas today:

20200731_chinchillas.jpg

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Just bought my first pair of Craftsmen's over the weekend. From America and when I moved to Australia I didn't get the craze over spending $600 AUD on a pair of boots. After I tried them on, I immediately understood. I'll be getting a pair in black shortly.

Attachments

• RMs1.jpg
    RMs1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 180
  • RMs2.jpg
    RMs2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 192

jjay2005

Reaction score
Hi! Hoping someone here with an old pair of RMs can help me identify the manufacture date on these very beat-up pair I picked up to restore. It seems to be a different insole design from recent pairs which have month/date to the right of the sizing.
117313153_625336948117735_4171057239927456648_n.jpg

3 1/2 is the sizing (women's). I'm trying to figure out if the 9 6 means September 2006 or 1996 or something else entirely.

Thanks!

Jykaes

Reaction score
So I finally bought my first pair of RM Williams, Comfort Turnout in Slate suede

Nice pickup. Did you buy those online? I did see those on the website but they have black tugs and elastics on the site whereas yours are brown. Wouldn't be the first time RM have advertised a certain spec but then delivered something different, I had a pair remade last year because of that in fact.

They look cool though, I've kind of always wanted grey suede, but they don't offer it as a Craftsman/MTO.

aquatherm

Reaction score
As the man said. I love suede, its suits my (casual) style. I find leather requires dressing up and I rarely find an occasion for it. All my friends/colleagues still rock sneakers and find suede shoes/boots formal.

Jykaes, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed the differences. Now it makes sense why I thought the grey looked lighter in person than in the pictures.

I bought them from a store in New Bond Street, London. I enquired about them on the phone last weekend, they said this colour was a "limited edition" which I guess meant seasonal and there was only one pair in my size left in the UK (they had only nine pairs remaining in AUS).

I always wanted a pair of grey suede Chelsea's, would have preferred them a bit darker like in the pictures but happy with them. Love the last, they have a toe shape similar to my C&J Chiltern which were my favourite shoes

Jykaes

Reaction score
As the man said. I love suede, its suits my (casual) style. I find leather requires dressing up and I rarely find an occasion for it. All my friends/colleagues still rock sneakers and find suede shoes/boots formal.

I prefer suede too, same reasons. Three of my five current pairs are suede. I do still wear sneakers to many occasions though, but sometimes you want something half way like for dates and such. The suedes get the same rotation as leather for work.

Jykaes, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed the differences. Now it makes sense why I thought the grey looked lighter in person than in the pictures.

I bought them from a store in New Bond Street, London. I enquired about them on the phone last weekend, they said this colour was a "limited edition" which I guess meant seasonal and there was only one pair in my size left in the UK (they had only nine pairs remaining in AUS).

The suede will be the same on the website as you have, the reason it looks darker is RM started doing more professional photo shoots a while ago but whoever is doing the editing trends a bit too dark on many of the photos so the boots don't always look accurate to real life. They've definitely got the wrong elastics and tugs on the site though. As mentioned, I had the same problem except the boots I got looked **** and I was very unhappy with them. After some back and forth they made me a new MTO pair to replace them, which was an awesome outcome after a several month wait on what was supposed to be a Christmas gift.

I always wanted a pair of grey suede Chelsea's, would have preferred them a bit darker like in the pictures but happy with them. Love the last, they have a toe shape similar to my C&J Chiltern which were my favourite shoes

They did used to have an MTO grey suede called shark that was probably a bit darker but I don't think it's an option any more.

1597134666768.png

aquatherm

Reaction score
I agree with regards to sneakers or running shoes, I only have one pair and and they do get used a lot

Are these your shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads