RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Inf

Inf Active Member

I think I figured out what is irking me about the fit on these...it's the extra leather above the top of my foot. There is some space between the ridge that comes down the front of the boot and the top of my foot, so when i step it creases up as in the pics. Is this amount of crease normal or are they a little to wide?

Thanks.

FWIW here are pics of my yearling craftsman I'm wearing today. In the first photo, I pulled out my superfeet black insoles. The boot is fairly loose in the vertical direction, and the vamp has a decent amount of extra space (as you can see by me pushing down on the slack)

[​IMG]

The next photo is after putting the insole back in:

[​IMG]

And finally, the crease I get with the insole in:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crap cell phone pics, at the office.

2. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

See that looks much more reasonable to me. I believe mine are just a little too wide so I have extra leather up top that is crinkling up. I'll swap them for a smaller width and see how that looks.

Thanks!

3. hooya2

hooya2 Senior member

ya, it does look a little wierd Neo1824

4. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

I agree. They're on there way back for a F width!

5. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

you will see the size stamped on the insole, in AUS sizes. Just get the boot that fits right and order the size stamped. Do not worry about wanting to return, you will want to keep them.

My plan is to go to the RM Williams store here in New York to figure out sizing and then order online. However, what sizes will the store in New York list, Australian or American? I assume I can just translate the sizes once I know which one they are using, but I want to make sure I get the right fit because shipping from Australia is a bit pricey if I want to return them.

6. factorial

factorial Senior member

So, if I'm a 10E in the AE Clifton (and Park Ave, though that shoe doesn't fit me as well); that makes me a 9H in the RM Comfort Craftsman in yearling, right?

What's the consensus on picking up a matching belt? I know some people seem to have a problem with it, but why wouldn't I want to grab both in Chestnut?

I'm debating whether to pull the trigger now or to see if the AUD/USD conversion becomes a bit more favorable. (Really should have ordered three weeks ago, before the latest run up. Oops.)

7. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

8. amce

amce Senior member

Flag waving

After reading through all 94 pages of the thread I'm making my first post. Being an Aussie expat living in Europe my best way of waving the flag is by wearing RM's.

I have three, well almost four, pairs and on a daily basis I never wear any other footwear. I have three pairs of Comfort Craftsmans with the rubber sole (Nordic winters!): two chestnut and one black. My almost fourth pair, Craftsman Black Veal with a screwed leather sole MTO, are at this very moment on their way from Bootsonline. Just three weeks after ordering, thanks to Barry and his staff and their great service. Of course even the guys at RMW have made their magic as well!

I intend to wear the MTO's with suits. The screwed leather sole making for a slightly sleeker look than the welt. RMW do not recommend any extra top soles on their products. Does anyone out there have any tips on how to treat leather soles for extended protection from the elements?

Cheers

9. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

My almost fourth pair, Craftsman Black Veal with a screwed leather sole MTO, are at this very moment on their way from Bootsonline.
    Can you post pictures when you get them. I really want to see how these will look. The chisel-toe with screwed sole sounds interesting.

10. amce

amce Senior member

Can you post pictures when you get them. I really want to see how these will look. The chisel-toe with screwed sole sounds interesting.

Will do, given that my photography skills are up to par

11. Inf

Inf Active Member

... RMW do not recommend any extra top soles on their products. Does anyone out there have any tips on how to treat leather soles for extended protection from the elements?

Cheers

I guess you could put topys on, but I think RMW says not to. Considering you have the brass screwed soles, and I've yet to hear of anyone getting theirs resoled at anyplace but RMW, putting something extra on your boots may cause problems when it comes time....

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yeah, just let the soles wear down naturally and get RMW to resole them when the time comes. Same goes with Baxter boots.

13. amce

amce Senior member

Yeah, just let the soles wear down naturally and get RMW to resole them when the time comes.

Thanks. Will let them wear down but can the leather sole be treated in anyway to prolong its resistance to water? I'm thinking about what could happen to a leather sole during a Swedish winter. About repairing I'm in luck. There's an RMW accredited cobbler in Stockholm.

14. Inf

Inf Active Member

Thanks. Will let them wear down but can the leather sole be treated in anyway to prolong its resistance to water? I'm thinking about what could happen to a leather sole during a Swedish winter. About repairing I'm in luck. There's an RMW accredited cobbler in Stockholm.

Might want to ask him in advance if he can replace the brass screwed soles... Wherever you find an RMW store, there will be some local cobbler they refer repairs to, i.e. in NYC there is some guy nearby the send everyone to, but IIRC, previous posters mentioned he can't do the brass screwed sole replacement. It requires special machinery that isn't commonly used anywhere else. They're not even technically 'screws' as you know them; they're sections of brass wire which have a thread-like outer surface that is spun into the boot and cut off at the surface. Not exactly as intuitive as some bloke screwing in brass screws you would find at the hardware store.

I've read before that the brass screwed sole boots generally get shipped back to the factory in AUS.

Anyway, that same cobbler would probably be the one to ask about prevention. He should know if there's any hope since he's used to dealing with customers up there in Sweden.

Personally, I would be afraid of putting topys on my boots in those circumstances, because moisture combined with salt getting under the non-porous layer wouldn't evaporate out so well.

15. Enigma89

Enigma89 Well-Known Member

Are there any other chelsea boots that are comparable to the RM Williams forum special? I want some chelsea boots but don't have a ton of money to drop.