RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

^^^^^^^^

i guess just go over the entire boot again with RM williams dark tan to get the same colour or just leave it as cool anteiquing.

two things (and i think the former was already mentioned)

1. on nungars site it appears that RM williams makes a chiefly shoe which looks fairly cool anyone got one?

2. the french veal is now $360 which is much cheaper than the $470 ish on the RM williams site. yay me, does nungar still get the forum special?

Cheers,

2. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

I slightly scuffed the top of my Kangaroo craftsman the other day. I went over the mark with some brown kiwi polish and now there is a very dark brown almost black spot where the scuff was and it looks kind of shitty.

Anything I can do, or should I just deal with it?

Take them to a shoe repair guy - they might help. AFAIK though...you'll have to finish the job and turn your craftsman into a dark brown one.

3. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Just ordered my Roo Comfort craftsman from bootsonline.com.

I was lucky to try the yearling Comfort craftsman at a local store and the 7G was superb. I normally wear a 7.5 E in an Allen Edmonds Last #8.

So my order was:

1) 7.5 F
    2) Narrow medium toe
    3) Comfort craftsman features
    4) Flat heel
    5) Kangaroo hide, in tanback (light brown color)

Total order came up AUD 380 including shipping. They told me to expect them within 4-5 weeks. Can't wait!

4. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member

What's the heel height for the block heel and the flat heel ?

5. Inf

Inf Active Member

... does nungar still get the forum special?
    The forum special is just a combination of options for an MTO pair, you should still be able to order it through him, or anyone else who does MTO for RMW if you are aware of all the particulars.

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I slightly scuffed the top of my Kangaroo craftsman the other day. I went over the mark with some brown kiwi polish and now there is a very dark brown almost black spot where the scuff was and it looks kind of shitty.

Anything I can do, or should I just deal with it?

Just wear them. I have had a pair of Roo's for about 3 years, they pretty much look like the day I got them, except they have a few wrinkles and the soles have worn a bit. These roo RM's are like kevlar on your feet.

7. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

I have a catalog and I have never seen any broguing option in it. The stitching is the cowboy stitch, I don't think it is what you are looking for.

I suspected as much.

Their catalogue is also available online in pdf:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...D7EC09DCD59894

Yes, but it is frustratingly slow on my (older) computer.

8. Inf

Inf Active Member

Just thought I would add another data point to the thread...

I searched earlier seeing if anyone posted experiences about putting mink oil on their chestnut RMW, and found no mention. I was concerned it would darken the color a lot.

I worked a pretty good coat into my Kangaroo chestnut RMW and they did not get noticeably darker. Mink oil has always been my favorite stuff to condition leather shoes with.

9. RJATL

RJATL Senior member

Just thought I would add another data point to the thread...

I searched earlier seeing if anyone posted experiences about putting mink oil on their chestnut RMW, and found no mention. I was concerned it would darken the color a lot.

I worked a pretty good coat into my Kangaroo chestnut RMW and they did not get noticeably darker. Mink oil has always been my favorite stuff to condition leather shoes with.

What about using the RM Williams Saddle Dressing? I've ordered a pair of Chestnut Cloncurry boots from bootsonline and noted the saddle dressing for sale. I'm hoping the Chestnut is a dark brown already?

10. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

What about using the RM Williams Saddle Dressing? I've ordered a pair of Chestnut Cloncurry boots from bootsonline and noted the saddle dressing for sale. I'm hoping the Chestnut is a dark brown already?

The saddle dressing is totally neutral and will not darken/lighten any color of leather you apply it. I just applied it to all of my leather items (light, dark, tan, jacket, bags, shoes, wallet, etc) on the weekend and there was no change to any of the items.

Just use a old terry cloth, take a small dab and apply in a gentle circular motion. Don't buff dry, just leave to set in for 24 hours....then buff with another cloth.

11. RJATL

RJATL Senior member

The saddle dressing is totally neutral and will not darken/lighten any color of leather you apply it. I just applied it to all of my leather items (light, dark, tan, jacket, bags, shoes, wallet, etc) on the weekend and there was no change to any of the items.

Just use a old terry cloth, take a small dab and apply in a gentle circular motion. Don't buff dry, just leave to set in for 24 hours....then buff with another cloth.

Interesting. Thanks. What would darken the leather (to the extent Chestnut needs darkening at all)?

12. OAP

OAP New Member

hello everybody,

may i ask another question on size and leather (sorry if this already covered but 91 pages...maybe i missed it).

i am the proud owner of a pair of craftsman yearling black already.
    the craftsman is 6.5F and fits good with standard socks. Wearing thinner (dress) socks they are not as snug as i would like them to be (both length and width, small feet). furthermore i would prefer to have a sleeker look.

now i am thinking about getting me a pair of turnouts in whiskey (like those ...). reason for turnout is that i like more the round toe shape.
    1. do i have to consider the different last of the turnout in terms of size (length and width)?
    2. the whiskey colour, is it offered in other then yearling leather (k'roo or calf, which i would def. prefer)?
    3. if so, would i have to consider the change in leather in terms of size?
    4. taken this into account would you suggest going down in width from f to e?

And finaly: what are your current experiences with bootsonline vs. nungar? especially given that i live in germany i wouldn't like to buy a 10 bucks or so discount with a bad service....

thanks a lot for your help

best
    oliver

13. OAP

OAP New Member

hello everybody,

may i ask another question on size and leather (sorry if this already covered but 91 pages...maybe i missed it).

i am the proud owner of a pair of craftsman yearling black already.
    the craftsman is 6.5F and fits good with standard socks. Wearing thinner (dress) socks they are not as snug as i would like them to be (both length and width, small feet). furthermore i would prefer to have a sleeker look.

now i am thinking about getting me a pair of turnouts in whiskey (like those ...). reason for turnout is that i like more the round toe shape.
    1. do i have to consider the different last of the turnout in terms of size (length and width)?
    2. the whiskey colour, is it offered in other then yearling leather (k'roo or calf, which i would def. prefer)?
    3. if so, would i have to consider the change in leather in terms of size?
    4. taken this into account would you suggest going down in width from f to e?

And finaly: what are your current experiences with bootsonline vs. nungar? especially given that i live in germany i wouldn't like to buy a 10 bucks or so discount with a bad service....

thanks a lot for your help

best
    oliver

Yearling MTO

14. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

OAP, bootsonline is open for business & answering emails. you might try your questions one at a time with them by email. it's doubtful any of us know enough to answer those questions.

15. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Interesting. Thanks. What would darken the leather (to the extent Chestnut needs darkening at all)?

Depending on the dye-lot, the Chestnut might not need darkening at all. The RM Williams store had 1 shoe in chestnut vesta on display, 1 for the swatches and another one that the sales guy was wearing.

They were all supposed to be the same color, but they were all slightly different. The sales guy's shoes were very dark and he had just received his. Supposedly they might lighten with age.

If you really wanted to darken it, then you can probably buy the RM williams shoe polish (1 black, 1 brown) and experiment. Melt them in various portions and experiment....but there's no turning back after that though. Leather ain't photoshop.... [​IMG]