RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

2. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

Here's my idea: French Veal Calf with the Comfort sole on the Craftsman last.

Has anyone ordered French Calf in a color other than Black and Chestnut?

This is my thinking too, maybe in dark tan or tan. I'm having a moral dilemma with the "one day old" calf thing at the moment so it's on hold until a calf pisses me off.

3. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

This is my thinking too, maybe in dark tan or tan. I'm having a moral dilemma with the "one day old" calf thing, at the moment so it's on hold until a calf pisses me off.

[​IMG]

4. AdamInSF

AdamInSF Senior member

Insoles? I've been wearing hard plastic insoles recently, and today I slipped them into my Craftsmen. I found they snugged up the instep perfectly.
    Me too - I have pretty flat feet, and find that a pair of the black (low instep) Superfeet insoles make my RMWs (Craftsman in chestnut veal, Yardboot in black kip) fit absolutely perfectly.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Me too - I have pretty flat feet, and find that a pair of the black (low instep) Superfeet insoles make my RMWs (Craftsman in chestnut veal, Yardboot in black kip) fit absolutely perfectly.

Superfeet are also what I'm using, as it happens.

6. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Does RMW offer broguing on any boot, or MTO? Apologize if this has been covered, but I did not find it with a search.

7. Inf

Inf Active Member

Just got my new kangaroo Craftsman. I order 8.5G but the sole is stamped 8.5 F. The inner sole is stamped 8.5 GCF, whatever that means. Anyone know? I thought the C stood for calf, or something, so I am thoroughly confused. At any rate, they fit AMAZINGLY. I can see these becoming my favorite shoes, and sidelining my black yearling craftsman 75% of the time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

those look great. what size do you wear in other dress shoes?

9. Inf

Inf Active Member

I have a pair of AE Burtons in 9.5D US, and my RMW craftsman in yearling are 8.5G AUS. The yearling craftsman are still a bit snug in the toes after about 5-6 weeks of wear, maybe 4 days a week on average, but they are improving day by day. Those are my only "good brand" "dress shoes," I don't count the crap I used to get before I discovered styleforum like steve maddens (where sizing was literally all over the place, from a 9US to a 10.5US). I'm thinking about getting a pair of Stock Agents next. Some pictures online show them to be this nice rich burgundy color, while others have a blah looking brownish color that looks kinda boring in my opinion. Here they look burgundy (and awesome!): http://www.bootsonline.com.au/topboots.htm But here they look kinda bleh. http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog...86ca4d3bef4e83 I don't know what the deal is with them, since I think they're supposed to be the same color in those two pics... Can anyone comment on that?

10. nakky

nakky Well-Known Member

Just got my new kangaroo Craftsman. I order 8.5G but the sole is stamped 8.5 F. The inner sole is stamped 8.5 GCF, whatever that means. Anyone know?

G Width, Chiseled Toe, Flat Heel

11. arossphoto

arossphoto Active Member

Here they look burgundy (and awesome!):

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/topboots.htm

But here they look kinda bleh.

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog...86ca4d3bef4e83

I don't know what the deal is with them, since I think they're supposed to be the same color in those two pics...

Can anyone comment on that?

I can't say for sure, but to me the colour difference you're seeing has to do with the quality of the photos. The one from ABH looks like it might be a poor quality scan from a printed piece. The Woomeras on the BTO site are the same. The small photo looks completely different from the large photo.

Having said that, I was at my local RM store the other day and they had a beautiful pair of MTO Craftmans. I can't remember the leather, but the salesman said he ordered the exact same pair and they look completely different. He said he was disappointed and if he had paid full retail he would have probably asked for a refund. So I don't know how you ensure the colour you see on a website or catalog is what you'll get when you order MTO.

Andrew

12. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Does RMW offer broguing on any boot, or MTO? Apologize if this has been covered, but I did not find it with a search.

I just called the NY store to ask about this. Rep says they do custom "stitching" on the vamp, and that it's in the catalogue. He's sending me a catalog, so I'll report back on what's in it as far as ornamentation.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I have a catalog and I have never seen any broguing option in it. The stitching is the cowboy stitch, I don't think it is what you are looking for.

14. arossphoto

arossphoto Active Member

15. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

I slightly scuffed the top of my Kangaroo craftsman the other day. I went over the mark with some brown kiwi polish and now there is a very dark brown almost black spot where the scuff was and it looks kind of shitty.

Anything I can do, or should I just deal with it?