Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I'm still loving the service from bootsonline.

Dec. 26 - ordered whiskey comfort craftsman, MTO, estimated 4 week wait

Dec. 29 - received confirmation phone call

Jan. 8 - just 13 days after ordering during the holiday season - received email that boots shipped and should arrive in 3-4 days

If the product matches the service, I'll be ordering again very soon.

What was your price that you paid?

2. allreds

allreds Senior member

345aus (inc. shipping)=about 244

3. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Hi,

I recently got a pair of Gardener boots, and have been wearing them for about a week.

The side of my big toe is getting rubbed in a uncomfortable way (that could potentially lead to a blister) at the front of the boot.

I looked at the RM Williams construction document referenced at the beginning of this thread:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2...ructionmu3.jpg

Item number 6 in the document is "Thermoplastic laminate stiffener protects toes and retains shape". The edge of the stiffener is what's rubbing against my big toe.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice?

Thanks!

Jeff

Sounds like they are too short.

4. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

After a stop by the NYC store, I'm about to order the RM Williams Bushman with the flat heel. The salesman pointed me towards the bushman as the boot that comes default with the leather screwed sole, and it seems to share a profile with the turnout (which I like, I need a less pointy toed boot). http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...BE13FDCD0D7F14 When they say the boot is unlined, what exactly does that mean? OK, that's a stupid question...are there any shortcomings to an unlined shoe or boot? What's the big deal? Should I try to have the bushman custom ordered with a lining?

5. Irond Will

Irond Will Senior member

Just got my chestnut-colored Roo Craftsmans from Nungar. For some reason, there was an 11-day gap between my order and the ship date - perhaps they were out of stock or something.

In any case, I love the boots, the 9Gs fit my dead-center American 10D feet well. Hard to beat the price of $260 Aussie pesos (~$180 US), even if waiting for delivery was frustrating.

6. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere in the US I can buy the RM Williams conditioner and polish? I forgot to include them in my initial order, and they said they would add them both when I emailed them, but they did not charge me or send it with my boots. Failing that, what alternatives are available?

As far as the boots themselves, I love them. The sizing guide in this thread was perfect, and I appreciate all the comments that pushed me toward buying them.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

There is nothing special about their polish or conditioner.

8. Icarium

Icarium Senior member

I really wish I could try these on, but there is no way - so, I'm here looking for a bit of help. The #5 last by Allen Edmonds is the only AE last that fits me. In fact, my 9.5C PAs fit me better than any shoe I've tried on. They could be bespoke the way they fit my right foot. Anyway, would the craftsman in yearling 8.5F or possibly the turnout in 8.5E work for me? Anyone have any suggestions? My heel is very narrow, which is generally my problem with all AE lasts except #5. Thanks.

9. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Anyone have any of their Willow leather boots. It's from an older cow and is thus thicker, and there is no need for lining. My frustration with buying boots on-line is that there are not good images of the leather. I like the look and design of the Bushman w/ flat heel and screwed leather sole, and frankly think a thicker and tougher Chelsea has a place in my collection, but I'd like to see a high quality image. Anyone?

10. tailorrmade

tailorrmade Senior member

Anyone have any of their Willow leather boots. It's from an older cow and is thus thicker, and there is no need for lining. My frustration with buying boots on-line is that there are not good images of the leather. I like the look and design of the Bushman w/ flat heel and screwed leather sole, and frankly think a thicker and tougher Chelsea has a place in my collection, but I'd like to see a high quality image. Anyone?

I've also had questions about Wilow leather. Since it is thicker leather, is it less prone to the wrinkling problem that many are concerned with?

Please post pic.

11. allreds

allreds Senior member

I'm still loving the service from bootsonline. Dec. 26 - ordered whiskey comfort craftsman, MTO, estimated 4 week wait Dec. 29 - received confirmation phone call Jan. 8 - just 13 days after ordering during the holiday season - received email that boots shipped and should arrive in 3-4 days
    to update this: Jan 9 - boots arrived at customs and are held until noon Jan 14 (yesterday) Jan 10 - today - boots just arrived at my office. They're in great shape. They're nice and snug in the gore. With my thin socks, they're just a bit loose - not a half size, but I think I need to either wear thicker socks or get some thin insoles. I'm a US 13 and ordered just that. My experience with bootsonline has been great, and I feel that the customer service - and the availability of the whiskey color - was worth the extra price. [​IMG]

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

There is nothing special about their polish or conditioner.

I must disagree with you. As a RMW boot junkie, I would suggest that the RMW polish has the correct colour dye in it to maintain the correct boot colour. I use it and would use nothing else on my RM's. Cheers....

13. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

I'm in search for a chelsea in burgundy, but as far as I understand, R.M. Williams don't offer that colour at all. They do seem to carry "red" and "claret" though. My guess is that claret is most burgundy-like. Do anyone of you gentlemen have experience with these colours and could shed some light on whether my assumption is correct, and how these colours differ from burgundy? Thanks!

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'm in search for a chelsea in burgundy, but as far as I understand, R.M. Williams don't offer that colour at all. They do seem to carry "red" and "claret" though. My guess is that claret is most burgundy-like. Do anyone of you gentlemen have experience with these colours and could shed some light on whether my assumption is correct, and how these colours differ from burgundy? Thanks!

This may help:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=990

15. Lear

Lear Senior member

And this:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...12#post1546412

Lear