RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JR88

JR88 Senior member

Anyone have knowledge/experience with converting RMW sizes for ladies? My wife likes my Comfort Craftsman and would like a pair of her own. I know RMW has a ladies' line (Wimmera, Durack, Kimberlye, etc.), but would, say, a 4.5G Comfort Craftsman also work for her? (She's a 7.5 in U.S. ladies.)

I suppose this is a roundabout way of asking whether, generally, women can wear "men's" shoes if they size down appropriately. Any perspective on this would be greatly appreciated, especially in the context of RMW.

2. lalolanda

lalolanda Member

i use a 9h for the gardener or yard boot model. should the sizing for the craftman e the same for me? or should i size up/down? theres a store that carries the boots here, i bought them there but they go for over 500 bucks after taxes and would rather buy them online. also, they don't carry 9h in craftsmen and would take like 3 months to arrive.

3. kidcloudkicker

kidcloudkicker Active Member

Im looking for a little guidance on choosing the correct size for an RM Williams order. Unfortunately trying on the boots isn't an option. Does anyone know how a Polo Benton 9D would convert over to the Crafstman B543 in veal calf?

4. dboll

dboll Senior member

My RMW Kangaroo Craftsmans came in from aussiebushhats.com Exactly 10 busiess days after placing the order as they said. Boots are beautiful and fit great, plus the quality is unmatched. I'm already looking to pick up a few more pairs.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Wanted to follow up on earlier comments: my 9.5G turnout boots are most definitely longer than my 9G turnout boots. They are not the same length, only wider. Both pairs were made in the last six months. With the Aussie dollar down, I paid about $235 to have a pair made to order and shipped to my door in the US. [​IMG]

6. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

Anyone have knowledge/experience with converting RMW sizes for ladies? My wife likes my Comfort Craftsman and would like a pair of her own. I know RMW has a ladies' line (Wimmera, Durack, Kimberlye, etc.), but would, say, a 4.5G Comfort Craftsman also work for her? (She's a 7.5 in U.S. ladies.)

I suppose this is a roundabout way of asking whether, generally, women can wear "men's" shoes if they size down appropriately. Any perspective on this would be greatly appreciated, especially in the context of RMW.

contact steve nungar or one of the other online sellers. they will be able to help you out a lot, i think.

7. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Do you guys know of any online coupons for these boots? Is Nungar still the recommended place? I think i'm going to go check out the Manhattan store to get a better idea of which ones I like.

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

^ Don't know of coupons. I recommend http://bootsonline.com which is where I bought my mine. They are very helpful & easy to work with. And they should also be able to help with acquring RMW boots for women.

9. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Hey guys. I'm going to check out the NY store today and would love some tips before I go. First, what do you guys think of the block heal? Does it make the boots look tacky / obvious that you are heightening?

Favorite models? I personally loved the boot shown next to the Lobb's in the original post. I see that it is a special make that must be requested. Anyone know what these boots cost now? Also if I'm going to the store, which boots most resemble the special forum ones?

10. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Sorry for annoyingly bumping this, but i can't find the B529 anywhere on MTO. Can someone please provide a link to where it is?

11. surrender

surrender Senior member

Sorry for repeating an old question, but does anybody have a pair of Macquaires? I want a pair of sleek boots that can be worn with both suits and jeans, and I'm not sure if I should go for the Macquaire, Craftsman or a forum special.

12. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

Sorry for repeating an old question, but does anybody have a pair of Macquaires? I want a pair of sleek boots that can be worn with both suits and jeans, and I'm not sure if I should go for the Macquaire, Craftsman or a forum special.

Yes, me[​IMG] See post 1138 on page 76 of this thread for various comparisons. My Macquaries are in whiskey.

I would suggest that if you're after pair of do-it all boots, the Craftsman or Turnout are your best bet.

Cheers,

TB

13. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Just to add to the sizing questions:

How close are RMW and Blundestone sizes? And what about Doc Martins?

14. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Anyone have knowledge/experience with converting RMW sizes for ladies? My wife likes my Comfort Craftsman and would like a pair of her own. I know RMW has a ladies' line (Wimmera, Durack, Kimberlye, etc.), but would, say, a 4.5G Comfort Craftsman also work for her? (She's a 7.5 in U.S. ladies.) I suppose this is a roundabout way of asking whether, generally, women can wear "men's" shoes if they size down appropriately. Any perspective on this would be greatly appreciated, especially in the context of RMW.
    this might help http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com...sionTable.html US 7.5 ladies converts there to AUS 5.5 mens i don't see any reason why a woman could not wear these. i've met big women that wear aldens and make it look cool. if the shoe fits ...

15. Mugnut

Mugnut Member

How close are RMW and Blundestone sizes?

To the extent this may help: I wear 9D in almost all U.S. Dress shoes, and usually go up to 9.5 in US boots to accomodate thicker socks.

I wear 8.5 AUS in Blundstones. I very rarely wear them with thin socks. Blundstones only increase in width by half size, not length; 8.5 is essentially an "8 wide." With boot socks and insoles, Blundstone 8.5 is fine.

I have RMW Yard boots in 8G. I love the Yard Boots, but I can only wear them with thin dress socks, and even then, they are snug (esp. in length). To wear them as I typically wear boots, I think 8.5H would be perfect, but haven't gotten around to replacing them yet.

I wear 8G in regular Craftsman. That gives me a snug, but not tight, "dress shoe" fit. IMHO, the Craftsman last wears slightly longer on the foot than the Turnout last.

My personal sizing guide for RMW now after trial and error: 8.5G in Turnout last with dress socks; 8.5H for thicker socks; 8G in Craftsman last, though I think 8.5G would be fine too (would probably go to 8.5G in the Drover - which is the chisel toe work boot if I ever get them). Bear in mind I have high arches which take up more volume than a flatter foot.

On the whole, assuming dress/thin socks - it seems to me that .5 size down from your standard US dress shoe size is your best bet. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there to this effect, and my own trial and error seems to confirm it.