RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Sator

Sator Senior member

This post made me order my first pair of RM Williams boots, Kangaroo Craftsman. I happen to wear Loake 6.5F (their medium width) so I ordered 6.5G from nungar .com.au. Steve promptly informed me that he had to order my pair from the factory. I will report back when I get them.

I am already thinking about getting a second pair but I'm afraid that Seattle's wet winter will not be kind to leather soles. I saw that RM Williams has what they call "walking/work" boots with rubber soles and am eager to learn more about them. Specifically I was wondering if they look/feel different than dress boots.

If you look carefully at one of the pages from the RMW catalogue I posted you will see a small picture hidden in the corner of a variant of the Craftsman with a non-slip composition sole called the Blaxland. The equivalent version of the Turnout is called the Wentworth. Although I didn't post images of it, there is something in the current catalogue called the "Comfort Craftsman" and "Comfort Turnout" that differ only in that they have a rubber sole and something called a "comfort innersole". Take a look through their website for pics. You can custom order any of the models with this sort of sole if you want something smarter for wet days.

The work boots looked awfully clunky to me and I barely took a second look at them in the RMW store. The leather is also of lesser quality.

2. Jared

Jared Senior member

3. blee017

blee017 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.
    What I really would like to see is a rubber sole counterpart of Yearlings; their casual look would go well with rubber soles.
    Custom order through RM Williams is significantly more costly than purchasing regular models from on-line stores, though.
    I will seriously consider Blaxland and Wentworth for my next purchase.

Thanks again.

The work boots looked awfully clunky to me and I barely took a second look at them in the RMW store. The leather is also of lesser quality.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Mmm...I don't see the Stockman's jodphur listed with a voucher price [​IMG]

5. blee017

blee017 Well-Known Member

nungar.com.au does have Kangaroo buckle boots under "Made to Order".

6. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    Mmm...I don't see the Stockman's jodphur listed with a voucher price [​IMG]

I recently emailed nungar.com to ask what "voucher prices" meant.

Does anybody know?

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I recently emailed nungar.com to ask what "voucher prices" meant.

Does anybody know?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...52&postcount=1

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

I really like the buckle boots.

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I really like the buckle boots.

mmmm.... Buckle boots in Chestnut kangaroo are next on my list.

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

mmmm.... Buckle boots in Chestnut kangaroo are next on my list.

Same here. Which place has the best deal on them? I am trying to work it out myself.

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
  12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Just got email from Barry Michaels of bootsonline that my MTO Comfort Craftsman boots have shipped after 3 weeks, rather than the 4-6 weeks promised. Delivery in 3-5 days!

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Same here. Which place has the best deal on them? I am trying to work it out myself.

Well, aussiebushhats lists them only in Yearling (for 360AUS). Bootsonline has them in kangaroo, but only lists them in black, for 375AUS. Nungar has them listed in Chestnut Kangaroo for 340, so that seems to be the way to go. Not sure what the turnaround on them is; I'm still waiting for my dark tan Craftsmen, ordered from ABH, to arrive, so I probably won't be ordering any more RMW boots until I get the first pair! [​IMG]

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Thanks, skalogre.
    No worries, welcome [​IMG]
    Well, aussiebushhats lists them only in Yearling (for 360AUS). Bootsonline has them in kangaroo, but only lists them in black, for 375AUS. Nungar has them listed in Chestnut Kangaroo for 340, so that seems to be the way to go. Not sure what the turnaround on them is; I'm still waiting for my dark tan Craftsmen, ordered from ABH, to arrive, so I probably won't be ordering any more RMW boots until I get the first pair! [​IMG]
    Blast it! So it will turn out to around USD 300 by the end... But those jodphur look soooo good.

15. Jolly Green

Jolly Green Well-Known Member

Sator

How does the kangaroo leather wear? I have 2 boots made in the yearling leather and was not impressed with them. The leather creases too easily and also peels away like an orange skin if it gets nicked or scratched. I love the style, comfort and construcion of them, but their yearing leather really lets them down.

I assume from the otherwise positive response, that the above poster's experience is unusual? $200-250 USD (including shipping) for a pair of boots roughly equivelant to AE seems like a bargain to me.

Cheers,
    D