• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

palladio211

Reaction score
...yeah those people have no idea what they're doing.

Suede is one of the most durable and easiest to care for leathers. I spray mine with waterproofer and the rain just beads up and slides off, while the snow sits on top and brushes off when you're out of the cold. To achieve that with smooth calf, you'd need to have a layer or two of polish, and even then it will let water through. Forget about shell in the rain...
What waterproofing spray do you use, and how often do you reapply it?

My RMW Suede boots are my favorites. I've been careful with them and not worn them in the rain or snow. In any sort of inclement weather, I wear my Gardener boots in greasy kip. I'd like to quit worrying about the suede boots and be able to knock them about more. I recently bought some waterproofing spray from Saphir as many people recommended it. I'm just wondering how often I should reapply it. I'm going to take an older suede pair I have and use them as a test case to wear whenever I want, and see how they hold up with the waterproofing.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What waterproofing spray do you use, and how often do you reapply it?

My RMW Suede boots are my favorites. I've been careful with them and not worn them in the rain or snow. In any sort of inclement weather, I wear my Gardener boots in greasy kip. I'd like to quit worrying about the suede boots and be able to knock them about more. I recently bought some waterproofing spray from Saphir as many people recommended it. I'm just wondering how often I should reapply it. I'm going to take an older suede pair I have and use them as a test case to wear whenever I want, and see how they hold up with the waterproofing.

Yeah I mean my gardeners get a lot of wear in bad weather cuz I think it's a superior shoe for that sort of thing, however suede is a really really resilient leather. I use Tarrago spray. Really really good. Just reapply like every 3-4 months or whenever you clean your shoes.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean my gardeners get a lot of wear in bad weather cuz I think it's a superior shoe for that sort of thing, however suede is a really really resilient leather. I use Tarrago spray. Really really good. Just reapply like every 3-4 months or whenever you clean your shoes.
That stuff is magic. I always end up going too long between applications but even once a year protects them fairly well.

InaYan

Reaction score
Doesn't that reduce the breathability of the boots in some way🧐

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that reduce the breathability of the boots in some way🧐
No.

Firstly because the spray is a coating that sits on top of the suede fibers, not filling up the pores. And second because your boots aren't all that breathable to begin with unless you have a gap somewhere, or an exhaust port.

InaYan

Reaction score
No.

Firstly because the spray is a coating that sits on top of the suede fibers, not filling up the pores. And second because your boots aren't all that breathable to begin with unless you have a gap somewhere, or an exhaust port.
Understood,lol
I probably could fix the Dominator muffler to my future boots insted of husband's bike when it arrives😂

bemk

Reaction score
Does RM Williams do a Black Friday sale? I ask because virtually no stockists carry wide/H sizes so I have to order direct.
A rep told me they do not do Black Friday.
Thinking about yet another pair of the Craftsman, I phoned with them yesterday and asked, if I should wait with my order for 1 or 2 more days for a Black Friday occasion and the very simpatico Lady from down under told me the same: No BF-discount for the boots.

Jcdc16

Reaction score
Thinking about yet another pair of the Craftsman, I phoned with them yesterday and asked, if I should wait with my order for 1 or 2 more days for a Black Friday occasion and the very simpatico Lady from down under told me the same: No BF-discount for the boots.
I have seen that mid season and end of season RMW sales start around the mid-December and June timeframe… But not sure it extends to those stateside. I was also thinking about just ordering from the NYC store over the phone but their # is dead.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
Yes I wear my suedes in all weather. Originally I was very careful, but have found them to be much better than yearling in wet, especially when you spray them with the water proofing stuff.

They also seem to be much harder and don't scratch up so you can give them hell and they still look great.

InaYan

Reaction score
Yes I wear my suedes in all weather. Originally I was very careful, but have found them to be much better than yearling in wet, especially when you spray them with the water proofing stuff.

They also seem to be much harder and don't scratch up so you can give them hell and they still look great.
Are these rubber or leather sole? Thanks

bemk

Reaction score
With 4 Chestnuts (3 Craftsman with 2 of them Kangaroo and 1 Gardener) in the house and 5 black ones ( 3 Craftsman, 1 Comfort Craftsman, 1 Gardener) I thought I could enjoy a bit of diversity and just ordered a Dark Tan Craftsman at RMW.

I really had a hard time deciding between Rum and Dark Tan. The former seemed to me on pictures here and on the web like a more muted, lighter brown and the Dark Tan on some pictures quite reddish. I even considered Nutmeg, but wondered how many years I would have to wear and polish those before I get the dark tonality I was looking for.
The basic idea was to add a brown that is and stays with age well defined from Chestnut and finally I asked the Lady from RMW, if she would go for Dark Tan or for Rum then. She recommended Dark Tan as it was a brighter shade of brown and as Rum had more red in it. I followed her advice, I will like them anyway. 🤡

Last edited:

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these rubber or leather sole? Thanks
Just FYI - a few folks mentioned it, but I'll reiterate, if you Wan to wear your leather footwear in wet weather, a rubber topsole is highly recommended. There are two main brands that make it: vibram and topy, and it should be relatively inexpensive at any competent shoe place.

js0930

Reaction score
For anyone looking for a reasonable deal - Amazon has some RM Williams ranging from $350-400 - free shipping and returns. Just ordered a few pairs of Comfort Turnouts to nail down sizing - $346.50/pair.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.