• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Whiskey comfort craftsman has arrived. 5 weeks total from the nyc store. They were actually very nice about everything.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Since this thread has been quiet thought i post a question. What are folks using as trees for their RM williams. On a related note, are the williams branded trees, specifically "lasted" for thier boots or are generic's something to consider.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Since this thread has been quiet thought i post a question. What are folks using as trees for their RM williams. On a related note, are the williams branded trees, specifically "lasted" for thier boots or are generic's something to consider.

My experience is that they don't really fit the width at all. I moved them into another pair of boots and bought more substantial trees for my RMWs.

Hope that helps.

lefty

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are folks using as trees for their RM williams.
Simple Nordstrom branded shoe trees are working fine for mine.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz

My experience with the RMW boot trees was that, at the size recommended to me in the store at least, they did not fill the boot adequately. They are generic boot trees that seem to be made by Rochester or Woodlore; they certainly are not lasted or otherwise specifically designed for RMW boots. I've been using regular shoe trees. I sold my boot trees here on the forum to someone with smaller feet; I don't know if he's found them better suited than I did.

mtf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
My experience with the RMW boot trees was that, at the size recommended to me in the store at least, they did not fill the boot adequately. They are generic boot trees that seem to be made by Rochester or Woodlore; they certainly are not lasted or otherwise specifically designed for RMW boots. I've been using regular shoe trees. I sold my boot trees here on the forum to someone with smaller feet; I don't know if he's found them better suited than I did.

That was me. They're identical to a pair of boot trees that I got from grapevinehill except IIRC the RMW ones have a leather loop at the heel to help pull the tree out. I've found that boot trees are better than shoe trees for me with the way boots crease at the bottom of the vamp from my feet.

undarted

Reaction score
I like the width of the lip on the goodyear welted John Lobbs. I know there was some discussion about the forum special's lack of lip...I think I have a preference of just a bit more lip, like the Lobbs.

Would you guys say the regular craftsman has too much?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just updated the Forum Special sizing guide once again. I have radically simplified and improved it. The result should be a slightly better fitting and more elegant boot. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that B529 in narrower fits is one of the most elegant round toed RTW lasts around. The new guide will result in a boot a fraction sleeker than before.

Vidi

Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a pair of the black forum specials, but I'm interested in people's opinions on wearing them with suits. Earlier in the thread people were talking about it being a bit odd, but I'm wondering if the sleeker nature of the "specials" changes that significantly. I don't wear a suit at work (I'm a software developer and get asked where I'm interviewing if I ever wear wool trousers), so this would mostly be for evenings out at the theater, symphony, etc.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have forum special models, just regular craftsmen. I wear them with suits. FWIW.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
Just trying to finalize details for making an order with nungar. If my craftsman size is 7.5G, and I want the french veal calf "forum special", I would order a size 8E? Thank you.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leonard Leroy
Just trying to finalize details for making an order with nungar. If my craftsman size is 7.5G, and I want the french veal calf "forum special", I would order a size 8E? Thank you.

If you read the sizing guide again it will guide you to order an 8.5E. I re-read my own post searching for errors, and to my relief I had written up a WHOLE size and down two widths. I was worried you had uncovered an error in my guide for a moment. Phew!

However, if you ordered 8F the fit would be identical due the complexities of the UK sizing system they use. If you really wanted something longer and sleeker 9D would also work. It also be shorter than you think it will be, as the old fashioned UK system RMW uses only introduces increases in lengths when you go up a whole size (half sizes just run a width wider). I left these options out as it just gets way too complicated.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
"...as the old fashioned UK system RMW uses only introduces increases in lengths when you go up a whole size (half sizes just run a width wider)... I left these options out as it just gets way too complicated"

This piece of information would have saved me ~$300 after I threw away my size 11s which were just a little too short and ordered 11.5s thinking they would be a perfect fit but ended up still hurting my toes...

I shall never again order a shoe I have not tried on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads