• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

midazoslam

Reaction score
Also side note for anyone looking for trees, Trimly will do an international order and it sounds like shipping times are getting a little faster. I just took delivery of 8 pairs yesterday. After tax and shipping, they came out to $54 a pair, which is close to what Amazon had them priced at when in stock.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the guys who pick RM William, what's RM William's attraction *vs other Chelsea (others too sleek?, this strike the right balance for casual and semi-dressy?), or the leather RM William use (yearling)?

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly compare sizing on the Gardner and Turnout Comfort with their Carmina (eg, Rain, Inca, etc lasts) or Edward Green or Gaziano Girling sizes?

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who wear average widths.
I recently had an EG 82 in size uk 9, was too small by half a size (the convention apparently) whereas RM are TTS. G fitting will be fine for medium feet. I have a couple of H which are handy for thicker socks.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
For the guys who pick RM William, what's RM William's attraction other Chelsea (others too sleek?, this strike the right balance for casual and semi-dressy?), or the leather RM William use (yearling)?
I personally think RM’s are the ultimate Chelsea. They are plenty sleek if needed but can be worn on the farm (as originally intended). The classic craftsman with leather soles are dressier and slightly more generous fit due to the comfort (rubber soles) version taking a slight amount of volume up with comfort inner sole. The soles on the comfort last for ever!
They do a Sydney boot which is slightly dressier but outside the confines of this medium you’d be hard pressed on the foot to tell the difference...
I personally favour the kangaroo over the yearling. Soft and the grain gives an element of ‘difference’.

they do a premium version which I’ve never seen on the flesh which have a brass plaque attached to the base after a personal sign off but I fear may be over killing the goose!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Also the burnished range of ‘Chinchilla’ boots..fear not its calf!
AEF26CF9-AD32-4330-9856-078EC78316B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Bullitt

Reaction score
For the guys who pick RM William, what's RM William's attraction *vs other Chelsea (others too sleek?, this strike the right balance for casual and semi-dressy?), or the leather RM William use (yearling)?

What I like about RMW:

- good quality fo the price (not sure if that’s still true as the prices have gone up a lot)
- wholecut
- comfortable right from the beginning
- longevity
- many different leathers to choose from
- can be dressed up or down easily

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way does RM William has any short chelsea (as short as this one, i.e to avoid caught in the back side of pant when sitting down issue...)

these are CJ

midazoslam

Reaction score
The shortest would be the Sydney; I believe the Balmoral would be next closest but is still upper ankle fit.

If I wasn't on the wider side of an H fit I'd get those chocoroos!!

I've had good experience getting that welt combination both MTO through both RM and through Trina at bootsonline. That's the comfort natural welt. I have it on a pair of Havanas and Nutmeg. I was actually also able to get the comfort inner paired with a leather outer sole for my black suede "reddish sole flex" going out boots. If or when I spring for the chinchillas I'm going to try to get them with the inner comfort sole as well.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Stepping out of the Tricker's circle for a bit with my 20 year old (?) Craftsman which I posted about back in March.
RM 2.jpg
RM3.jpg
Still that little bit of nastiness about them from my first walk in March just after getting the gores replaced :butbut:, maybe, possibly get them repaired now that the cobblers might be open.
RM 1.jpg

rob80bboots

Reaction score
As the Gardiners have obviously seen better days....thinking it might be time to retire the old boys...
The Stuarts London sale looks attractive..£253.34 all in to Canada. :satisfied:
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.40.01 PM.png
not quite sure I need another boot though and already have 2 pairs of Blundstone 063 coming from Stuarts for my son and I... to literally kick around in. : )
...and the Fryes are still holding up...but they're in black.:cool:
Frye Chelsea.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads