• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tradie chic

C65B5023-A94B-446D-B0AB-79390A1384CB.jpeg

ShouldHaveStayedHome

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that RM have completely lost their way recently? They're trying harder and harder to become some ridiculous designery company, with the kind of outrageous designs/fashion that you'd see on catwalks, but that no one would actually wear. For example, what is this absolutely disgusting 365 Yard Boot collaboration they're doing? Who thought that was a good idea? They're disgusting.

Somewhat, to keep the company open, and expanding, they need to try new stuff make progress in new markets, but it would be good if they could keep selling the stuff that people have been buying from them for years. Sometimes a guy who's worn his rum boots to every meeting, pub, funeral, wedding, horse race or date he's been to for the last five years, would like another pair, to do some more of that.
RB Sellars, Country Road, Rodd and Gunn, Thomas Cook all have catalogues that look like they're "country".
RM catalogues these days look like a hipster got lost in the desert and stole the boots off some stockman who was dead under a tree.
I don't begrudge them the crazy stuff, but, it would be good to be able to buy some normal boots.

Anyone wear their RMW with shorts?

Yes. With a short sleeve button up shirt, belted shorts, and walking socks. As is the tradition.

midazoslam

Reaction score
Yes:

Snuff CC, Brown Gardeners (now with Vibram sole)
Lachlans, chestnut CCs

Do you know if these can be made with a comfort insole? Seems odd to make a durable mucking about boot but retain the harder leather insole.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you know if these can be made with a comfort insole? Seems odd to make a durable mucking about boot but retain the harder leather insole.

I wouldn’t call the Gardener and Lachlan rubber soles hard at all. On the contrary, a lot more cushion than on the comforts.

Jykaes

Reaction score

I would guess no, you can either buy existing comfort models off the shelf or do an MTO order with comfort inner but I think only Craftsmans can be MTO'd. You'd have to ask RMW though.

I fully agree it is odd RM are not pushing their comfort inner harder, it's one of their best features in my opinion, the difference between the comfort and traditional soled Craftsman for daily wear is night and day, my feet used to kill me by the end of the day in the classics, the comforts are near sneaker level comfort and I'm not dying to get them off when I get home in summer any more.

I kinda get why they don't do it on the Signature because it's a formal "heritage" boot but surely say the Chinchilla as a high end boot should have a high end insole as well.

midazoslam

Reaction score
I would guess no, you can either buy existing comfort models off the shelf or do an MTO order with comfort inner but I think only Craftsmans can be MTO'd. You'd have to ask RMW though.

I fully agree it is odd RM are not pushing their comfort inner harder, it's one of their best features in my opinion, the difference between the comfort and traditional soled Craftsman for daily wear is night and day, my feet used to kill me by the end of the day in the classics, the comforts are near sneaker level comfort and I'm not dying to get them off when I get home in summer any more.

I kinda get why they don't do it on the Signature because it's a formal "heritage" boot but surely say the Chinchilla as a high end boot should have a high end insole as well.

Particularly as the chinchilla is a fashion/lifestyle boot, I don't understand their aversion to the comfort insole. It's there for casual walking. I have all three options: comfort craftsmen/turnouts, gardeners, and standard leather/leather craftsmen. The CC's are by far the most comfortable but the gardeners are equally more comfortable than the standard craftsman (not to say they are bad but they are of pedestrian comfort, pun intended). It is pretty much the only reason I don't equally consider Carmina, story et fall, Baxter etc is the comfort insole.

I shot an email to bootsaustralia to see if they can drum something up. The Lachlan and allrounder aren't common stock anyway so MTO times apply, and the goal is essentially a comfort craftsman with brown vesta leather and the treaded outersole. As much as I love my gardeners I feel they are just a tad too chunky in the toe.

Which I guess raises the question, is the Vesta of Greasy Kip leather more suitable for rain and general outdoor use?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lachlans are basically a Gardener sole and on a Sleeker Craftsman last with a nicer mid-brown thick vesta leather. Not a dress or work boot, but perfect for wearing with denim and hiking around city streets. This really should be in their top half dozen stock items.

mrparticular

Reaction score
Hi, I wondered if anyone can please help me out? I have just taken delivery of some comfort turnout boots. I noticed that when you apply some pressure to the outsole, there is what feels like a bit of an air gap between the rubber outsole and the inner bed part of the sole. The easiest way to determine this is to hold the boot upside down and apply a bit of pressure with your thumb to the centre of the widest part of the sole, around the forefoot (I think - basically roughly where one's toes meet one's foot). I wondered if this is normal - the sole is well stitched on but wondered if this 'gap' is part of the comfort sole construction. Any advice greatly appreciated.

haithamshaddad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got a factory second RMW Tambo 9.5X last month from DFO Homebush Sydney as advised by the sales people there and in another store in George St. Sydney. I didn't try the craftsman or any other boot, I just got the tambo and since day one I didn't feel happy with it.
The boots were wide (I have a wide foot) and not snug at all and I felt it has a high heel and I always land with the heel first and it really hurts
Also, I noticed a lot of creasing and I can bend the leather from the inner side. The length is good but its just too wide and too tight on the heel. I feel like it is glued to my heel and this also makes it really hard to take off. And the squeaking is really annoying.

I went to a store today and they told me it is a factory second and they can't help me.

What really annoys me is that I tried the craftsman 10G and it was awesome and this only when I felt why everyone loves the RMW, it felt like a glove on my feet. Today I tried the craftsman 9.5H and it was also cool and snugy and the girl there said that it is big since I have around 1cm at the at front but I felt it was too good. I feel they are exaggerating just to appear as experts. I have a hush puppies chukka and it has like 2cm in front of my toes and I have no issues with that. I guess I can live with 10G over 9.5H

Now i feel I have been disservice by the sales and lost $400 for pair of boots that makes me sad every time I put it on.

What are the options I have?

Last edited:

BJH306

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else find the front tugs annoying on their RM’s? During the day my Craftsmans front tugs constantly pop out and sit in front of the bottom of my pants. I try to tuck them in but very quickly, they pop out again. I know some people like to show the tugs but for me they are slightly annoying. Considering cutting the front tugs, does anyone else have experience with this? Or am I crazy to even consider? :)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
It’s not an uncommon complaint. A lot of other Chelsea shoe brands only do a rear tug for that reason.

Personally, I wouldn’t cut it. I’m just used to doing the RM trousers cuff tuck when it pops out.

ShouldHaveStayedHome

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else find the front tugs annoying on their RM’s? During the day my Craftsmans front tugs constantly pop out and sit in front of the bottom of my pants. I try to tuck them in but very quickly, they pop out again. I know some people like to show the tugs but for me they are slightly annoying. Considering cutting the front tugs, does anyone else have experience with this? Or am I crazy to even consider? :)
Kind of sounds like a trouser problem rather than a boot problem?
If you're happy/confident you can get them on and off without the front tag there shouldn't be any problem cutting off as long as it's neat. And if you don't like it you can always get new ones put on.

Hi everyone,
I got a factory second RMW Tambo 9.5X last month from DFO Homebush Sydney as advised by the sales people there and in another store in George St. Sydney. I didn't try the craftsman or any other boot, I just got the tambo and since day one I didn't feel happy with it.
The boots were wide (I have a wide foot) and not snug at all and I felt it has a high heel and I always land with the heel first and it really hurts
Now i feel I have been disservice by the sales and lost $400 for pair of boots that makes me sad every time I put it on.

What are the options I have?
I'm not sure if I'm crazy, but I vaguely remember reading about the Tambo being developed for islanders who generally went barefoot, had wide flat feet, and needed some dress shoes, something along those lines. Consequently, they're not wide, they're really f****in wide.
I'm told I have wide feet, I wear a 13EE is asics runners (sorry, not the greatest reference for a style forum). I'm currently wearing kangaroo classic craftsmen in 11.5G with an aftermarket half insole. I went to a couple of shops, several times, and tried on pretty much everything from 10.5-12.5, G,H,XX, in classic, comfort and DFC, before I made a choice. This was not my first pair, first pair I bought new myself though. I think the staff at the flagship stores are a bit more knowledgeable/trained/enthusiastic than the outlet store staff, they're also not limited by what the outlet has in stock, they should have everything.
Having tried the Tambo, they are just comedically wide. H is genuinely wide, and the G took a bit wearing in/stretching in my experience.
Your experience with the heel being tight I believe is common, especially with new boots, it does wear in and be a bit more comfortable.
I don't believe the heel is any higher than the other boots, but the boots do have more of a heel than shoes, and I probably walk a bit differently in boots to flat shoes. (Okay, I tried it, I do, I hadn't thought about it for a while because I wear them all the time I guess).

To the crux of your post "lost $400 for pair of boots that makes me sad every time I put it on".
I feel for you. I have had this feeling. And it sucks, hard. Two options I can see for you are.
a) Try some other socks, insoles, wear them around some more, etc, small things to make them better, and convince yourself that you like them.
b) Ebay. Write off the loss to experience. Have a rest and a cup of tea (for however many months are necessary), and try again.

Good luck man, I hope you find a solution that makes you happy! Unfortunately sometimes things just don't go right.

Jykaes

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to buy something for Christmas/Black Friday, RM are doing a bunch of new stuff on the website, some of it is iffy, some of it is really nice. Personal favourite is the black suede "Nero" which looks like a kind of waxed finish compared to the usual black suede, and the black Chinchilla.

I probably won't buy anything as I already own black suede and black yearling so not enough difference to justify. I would have immediately bought the cyber weekend bone suede if they had natural edged soles but they have a contrast dark brown sole I think ruins the look.

midazoslam

Reaction score
The mid grey is nice but I don't understand the brown accents, it would be so much better with black. The BF color combinations are just off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads