RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

I have a piece of the material that is used to keep the shape of the toe box from a Craftsman. I'd be willing to mail it to whomever would be able to determine what kind of material it is.

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm pretty sure that the RMW catalog states that the toe box is supported with a plastic insert. Does that seem plausible, based on the piece that you have?

3. amlai

amlai Senior member

4. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

It's black and feels sort of like a combination of rubber and cardboard.

5. Sator

Sator Senior member

For all of you who have had trouble over the last week with contacting Steve via email, he tells me he had a server crash and he is now scrambling to catch up.

6. m_wave

m_wave Senior member

Wow.. this is a real eye opener for me. I've only ever seen farmers wearing these boots. I think because of this they aren't a high fashion icon here in Australia. Good to see a great Aussie iconic boot getting a run in the US and UK though.

M~

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

Wow.. this is a real eye opener for me. I've only ever seen farmers wearing these boots. I think because of this they aren't a high fashion icon here in Australia. Good to see a great Aussie iconic boot getting a run in the US and UK though.

If you take a peek under the table in coorporate Australia you will often spot a pair or two being worn under a suit. People who are 'in the know' wear them. People who know old fashioned quality.

8. tailorrmade

tailorrmade Senior member

Is there a way to order the forum boot with the square chisel toe???

9. Sator

Sator Senior member

Is there a way to order the forum boot with the square chisel toe???

You can custom order whatever you like.

The FS is just a set of specifications which gives you a sharper dress boot. That's all.

10. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

It's black and feels sort of like a combination of rubber and cardboard.

I once had an old pair of Edward Green-made Peals crack all the way through so I took them apart to see their internal construction. The toe box was formed by what seemed essentially to be a rubber ball cut in half.

11. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Senior member

I wore my 'Specials' today and, as every other time, what I liked most about them was catching a glimpse of their profile silhouette. The nailed sole gives the waist a very distinctive curve that I don't think has been truely captured in any of the photos in this thread. This does wonders to offset their otherwise distinctive robustness.

Annoyingly though, I've had a lot of trouble getting a decent shine on them. All I've managed so far is a dull waxy gleam. I have no trouble getting a mirror shine on all my other shoes so this one is a touch perplexing.

12. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

Oh man I am bummed out - I ordered a pair of Craftsmen from Steve about a month and a bit ago. I contacted him and he said he sent them by Australia Post Air on April 20th, but they still haven't arrived yet. Is there usually delays in customs or have they disappeared into the ether that is the US mail ?? Damn - this is not good ! ! !

troop [​IMG]

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I wore my 'Specials' today and, as every other time, what I liked most about them was catching a glimpse of their profile silhouette. The nailed sole gives the waist a very distinctive curve that I don't think has been truely captured in any of the photos in this thread. This does wonders to offset their otherwise distinctive robustness.

Annoyingly though, I've had a lot of trouble getting a decent shine on them. All I've managed so far is a dull waxy gleam. I have no trouble getting a mirror shine on all my other shoes so this one is a touch perplexing.

Photographs while worn would be greatly appreciated!

14. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Oh man I am bummed out - I ordered a pair of Craftsmen from Steve about a month and a bit ago. I contacted him and he said he sent them by Australia Post Air on April 20th, but they still haven't arrived yet. Is there usually delays in customs or have they disappeared into the ether that is the US mail ?? Damn - this is not good ! ! !

troop [​IMG]

not to harp on the obvious but have you got a tracking number from steve. Often there is a listing if the item is in customs.

OTOH i have bought a lot of stereo equip. from overseas and have never had much of a problem on that. Could be yours is a random search....good luck.

15. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

I haven't been able to get a hold of Steve since I emailed on sunday. Hopefully he answers soon [​IMG]

troop