• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep my 9G or return. I measured my foot and compared to the fit chart on RMW website and per that, I'd be better served with an H. I don't know if going to a 9+ G may be better, though the thought of going to what amounts to be a 10.5E is actually too long. I'm a 9.5 Brannock last measured some years ago, It'd be shocking if I actually was a 10 Brannock now but I guess feet grow?

JustinW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they do.

Mine got a little extra punishment in the army, but mostly it was old age that shifted me from a 9G to a 9.5/10H. Actually, I’m starting to think I’d need a 10.5H for Lachlan’s or Gardner’s with thicker hiking socks.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I am going to size up; It's easy for me to see what a 9.5 (free shipping and returns on East Dane/Amazon) but it'll be a G.

I think I am used to wider/bigger toe boxes so perhaps that's part of the issue here.
Any first hand experience anyone here can speak to w/ how the Craftsman "feel they fit" compared to Alden Indy?

Matell

Reaction score
G’day guys,

First post here, so I’ll introduce myself as an Aussie expat living in Seattle.
After 40yrs on the blue marble, I’m finally getting my first pair of RM Williams, which happen to be Chinchillas in Bordeaux.

I tried a pair on in the LA store a few weeks ago, but elected to order them directly from RM Williams customer service in Australia, and had them delivered to my family back home. The cost savings are significant!!

Anyway cutting to the chase, both heels seem to have a small impression in them above the last “A” of Australia. (See attached)

On one heel it looks like the rubber might have been pierced, and then to have closed back.
But on the other there is a green nail or pin visible.

Is this normal?

I have emailed Customer Service and am awaiting their reply.

However I am impatient, and wanting others thoughts on this before I have my family send the boots to me.

If a return is needed, I’d rather it be domestic than have me do it from the USA.

Cheers,

Matt

**Edited to upload higher resolution images. If you zoom in you can see inverted dimples above the 'MA' in the first image (right boot), and 'AD' and the last 'A' in the second image of the Left boot. My guess is the rubber pad is nailed and glued.**

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll check my heels later, a sentence I’m not comfortable writing...

Only thing to be aware of is don’t use conditioner on the burnished boots or it will remove said burnishing! Rm suggest their neutral polish only.

EdoubleD

Reaction score
I’ve check both heels on both pairs of my burnished and I don’t have anything like that. Is it just the one boot?

JustinW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome from another Aussie long-term US resident!!

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide on a sizing for a new pair of comfort craftsman and am normally a 11 D in Red Wings and other boots (11.5 to 12 in sneakers,etc.) . I recently tried on 10 G in the turnout and 10.5 G in the comfort craftsman. It was pretty clear the 10 was too snug for my feet but the 10.5 was a bit strange to fit.

Questions: 1) I have a bit of a wide foot and it seemed the size 10 turnout was better on my toes than even the 10.5 craftsman. Is that just my imagination or is the last better suited that way?

2) Is it normal to have a bit of space where the ankle meets elastic opening of the boot? I mean right at the top of the boot, I have a half inch of space on either side in the 10.5 boot but none on the 10.

A bit confused here. Thanks!

Jykaes

Reaction score
Looks like R.M. released a new lace up boot today, with Brogue styling and made in Australia which is surprising as I would have guessed another boot like this would be made overseas, as previous lace ups have been I think. Black yearling for $595, or Bordeaux or Cognac European crust (So Chinchilla leather, basically) for $795.

I'm personally not a fan of the styling though, I prefer service boots.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like R.M. released a new lace up boot today, with Brogue styling and made in Australia which is surprising as I would have guessed another boot like this would be made overseas, as previous lace ups have been I think. Black yearling for $595, or Bordeaux or Cognac European crust (So Chinchilla leather, basically) for $795.

I'm personally not a fan of the styling though, I prefer service boots.
Really like these, but £437 is a real ball ache.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Unsure because I haven't looked at RM williams in a while. But is bootsonline still selling RM Williams for $350 to the USD because that is what I'm seeing. I thought the company made everything 500+ for retail and only occasionally you will have sales that will drop it down to sub 350

might be a dumb question, but bootsonline is legit right? They seem to have some awesome deals

Jykaes

Reaction score
Unsure because I haven't looked at RM williams in a while. But is bootsonline still selling RM Williams for $350 to the USD because that is what I'm seeing. I thought the company made everything 500+ for retail and only occasionally you will have sales that will drop it down to sub 350

might be a dumb question, but bootsonline is legit right? They seem to have some awesome deals
Sounds about right, RM retail the Craftsman at $595 AUD but all of my boots were bought at $500 AUD or under from resellers along the lines of Bootsonline recently (As in earlier this year) when I sold my old Classic Craftsmans and replaced them all with Comfort models. $350 USD sounds correct for the current market as that works out to around the $500 AUD mark or a bit over.

Bootsonline is legit.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.