• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chas

Reaction score
I ordered mine a week ago today. Steve (Nungar) said they would take 3 weeks to come through from the factory. Does that mean that they will be to me in 3 weeks or to Steve?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To Steve, in all likelihood. I've never ordered from Steve, but I don't _believe_ he drop-ships from the factory.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
That whiskey colour is the sex man. Interesting info about the stretching. Were they "slightly loose", "comfortable", or "snug" initally? Is the stretching in the length or width?

Are these the "Comfort Craftsman" or the Craftsman with a rubber sole? Any price difference?

They were perfect when I got them, or "comfortable" using your scale
tounge.gif

Definitely stretched in the length a bit (I understand there is more stretching, in particular, with the kangaroo leather. Mine are yearling though).......width-wise, I went with the "F" fit, which is narrower than the standard G, so the width is fine. But maybe the elastic just loosens up and gives the impression that they've stretched. I get a little more heel movement (thus the blisters) than I used to. Either way, I have extremely sensitive feet, so I wouldn't worry that much. I could simply just wear non-dress (thicker) socks.

As Grimslade said, yeah, I think that the "Comfort Craftsman" just has the rubber sole.

Originally Posted by j
If you put thin insoles in them, they will snug back up.

I must sound like a shill for the "thin insole" industry.

They look great, BTW.

Thanks! I probably should try the insoles.

Originally Posted by grimslade
To Steve, in all likelihood. I've never ordered from Steve, but I don't _believe_ he drop-ships from the factory.

Yep. Took a month total for my MTO pair to arrive. Got to Steve in about 3 weeks and then he mailed them to me (only took about 6 days to arrive if I recall).

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a comparison of these boots to any other AE last?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
They were perfect when I got them, or "comfortable" using your scale
tounge.gif

Definitely stretched in the length a bit (I understand there is more stretching, in particular, with the kangaroo leather. Mine are yearling though).......width-wise, I went with the "F" fit, which is narrower than the standard G, so the width is fine.

The kangaroo stretches. A LOT. They always feel a little tight once I put them on but a few minutes later they expand perfectly. I also went narrow...

Originally Posted by Englandmj7

Yep. Took a month total for my MTO pair to arrive. Got to Steve in about 3 weeks and then he mailed them to me (only took about 6 days to arrive if I recall).

Same here - shipped to Steve then I got them from him. Took somewhat longer than a month IIRC...

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90

Did you see this on the first page?

2. Based on Other Allen Edmonds Lasts

AE lasts other than the Nr 5 run wider. The Nr 5 is the narrowest and longest of their lasts. If you base your sizing on shoes made on lasts other than the Nr 5 you may need to go up a width, though this will result in you ordering a boot a tad on the widish side:

AE size minus one

Example for if you wear size 10:

AE size 10E = RMW size 9H
AE size 10D (medium) = RMW size 9G (medium)
AE size 10C = RMW size 9F

Check to see if your AE shoe has a bit of looseness side to side. If so consider dropping down a width, especially if ordering in thinner, softer leathers such as veal calf and kangaroo.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90

All these things are approximate. The Craftsmen, in my experience, actually fit nothing like the Park Avenue last on my foot. I've worn Craftsmen in an 11G, 11.5F and 10.5G. The 10.5s were too small. The 11.5Fs and the 11Gs each have little fit-niggles that have no corollary in my 11.5EEE Park Avenues. The PA is a round-toed last, whereas the Craftsmen is squarer. The fit is not going to be exactly the same.

But if I were comparing it a less elongated AE last, I would go up half a size in length from the recommended formula, if that makes sense. I base that on the fact that my PAs are half a size smaller than any other AE shoe that fits me. I've returned several pairs of AEs on lasts other than the 5 because I ordered an 11.5 and found them too short. On the zero last, 12s fit me well. I believe that the same is true on the 5, IIRC.

EDIT: Alternatively, you can follow SATOR's advice, as just posted by england.

chas

Reaction score
Same here - shipped to Steve then I got them from him. Took somewhat longer than a month IIRC...[/quote]

Thanks for the responses. I guess good things come to those who wait.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
Same here - shipped to Steve then I got them from him. Took somewhat longer than a month IIRC... Thanks for the responses. I guess good things come to those who wait.
Well, the Stockman I ordered is MTO only which is why it took so long. Lead time was supposed to be three months I think but within a month and a half I got them, IIRC...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW:

I tried on a PA and found the 10E to be my size. A 9G in the Craftsman was just too tight in the toe box and very wide across the foot. The 9.5F is as good a ft as I could expect.

lefty

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
FWIW:

I tried on a PA and found the 10E to be my size. A 9G in the Craftsman was just too tight in the toe box and very wide across the foot. The 9.5F is as good a ft as I could expect.

lefty

Just remember that veal and kangaroo stretch a lot. If you really feel they won't fit though...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Just remember that veal and kangaroo stretch a lot. If you really feel they won't fit though...

I'm saying that I needed more length than the 1 size down from a PA would allow. This is in the yearling.

I am considering Kangaroo. Would you recommend 1 width down from the yearling leather? (Do they even make an E width?) I was going to stay with what fit.

lefty

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I'm saying that I needed more length than the 1 size down from a PA would allow. This is in the yearling.

I am considering Kangaroo. Would you recommend 1 width down from the yearling leather? (Do they even make an E width?) I was going to stay with what fit.

lefty

Maybe. I don't have yearling to compare them but that is why I mention that if you feel they won't give at all, you should stick with it. My AE PA are 10D, snug at base of toes. My RMW (on the same last as the Craftsman) are 9F (Aus). But they stretch.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But they do not stretch in the toe box, where there is a plastic form to help it keep its shape. Bear that in mind.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
But they do not stretch in the toe box, where there is a plastic form to help it keep its shape. Bear that in mind.

For what it's worth, my small toes do not enter the form. They rest next to soft leather. One of my boots was initially a bit snug at the small toe, but the leather stretched out nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads