1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Can anyone post the care instructions for any of the yearling calf aniline pull up leather boots? e.g anyone that has ordered any boot in rum.

2. Crafty Cumbrian

Crafty Cumbrian Senior Member

Rm suggest you use their products (as they would!).

They have a conditioner (suggested every few months I’d guess) and colour specific polish (which is like a paste type ) as and when required.

image.jpg

3. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Cheers. I have read that RMW put a small note into the boxes of these shoes explaining the care requirements. I am hoping someone may be able to take a photo of this note for me.

4. Crafty Cumbrian

They’ll most likely tell you to do it more frequently but I’ve not used this yet (as can be seen!).

Did use the natural on another brand of boots, doesn’t shine up like a wax/gloss polish but suits the boot I’d think?

5. mstacle

mstacle Member

Anyone heard from CB this year? Also, is anyone else waiting on tobacco suede craftsman? I feel like the reason mine have taken so long is that they ended up being a custom order after they sold out of the initial stock. (Ordered 10/29)

6. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

Nope, but I haven't checked in with Freddie. Giving him until 1/20 which is when he promised my MTOs would arrive.

7. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Just a quick heads up for those waiting on boots. The RMW factory in SA does not reopen until Monday.

8. Jason Kadushin

Jason Kadushin Senior Member

Anyone know if RMW plans to bring back some of their popular colors (at least here) like whisk(e)y? Every couple of months I send them an email about the tobacco/rust suede and they always say the same thing - that they have no plans to bring that in for MTO.

9. carlff

carlff Active Member

I would not use conditioner on the Rum leather unless you want to remove some of the coulour.

10. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

What should I use to take care of them then?

11. Crafty Cumbrian

I thought that only applied to the burnished boots (the Chinchilla range)?

12. carlff

carlff Active Member

Yeah, my bad. You are probably right. Now that i think of it it makes more sense.
    Then i would be more focused on finding the right colour polish to go with the Rum boots.

13. bemk

bemk New Member

Hi,

I hope you can help me here:

- For years I'm wearing a Comfort Craftsman (Yearling) in 8.5+H. The fit is perfect.

- I bought two regular Craftsman (also Yearling) second hand but unworn in size 9H. I bought them after viewing RM William's size chart and considered the minimal bigger size to be neglectable as I tend to wear insoles with thinner socks or thicker socks in colder days anyway.
    I'm fine with my Craftsman in 9H almost the same. I guess it's due to the having worn my CC for so long that it feel's almost wider than my regular Craftsman.

Now I want to add a Gardener and a Gammon and my question is:

-> Will the Gammon and Gardener fit just the same as my CC does? Please note that this question in only about the width.

I know that due to the different shape, the free space in front of my toes will be different and I'm aware that the height above my toes will be also different.
    Yesterday I tried a Gardener in 8.5H (soze of my CC) and found that the leather is thicker and naturally stiffer as it's new and unworn. It felt a bit too tight in width, but I guess it will give in after some time.

I'm just a bit paranoid about buying shoes too tight. So, please, what is your experience? Will the Gardener and Gammon (I cannot try a Gammon here before buying) fit the same in width?

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:14 PM

14. bemk

bemk New Member

Well, I took the plunge. Before ordering two further pairs probably too small, I bought the Gardener in 8.5H this morning. Same size as my CC and as the size chart seems universal I was pretty confident that apart from the thicker leather it wouldn't wear narrower. And it doesn't, all fine.

Now I know what size I will choose for the Gammon and after three Yearling Craftsman, I think it's time for a Kangaroo Craftsman also. Great shoes!

Have great weekend everyone!

15. Crafty Cumbrian

Got my tracking code Friday!

I’m due two pairs on Monday, I originally ordered the Tobbaco but changed to the Gilchrist and a Buckle Boot.