1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I experienced the opposite to this yesterday. I only own comfort craftsman/turnout boots and in an 8G, these fit really nicely. Different leathers also feel tighter/looser. I find yearling feels great and tighter at the start but then starts feeling better with age, kangaroo feels super comfy straight away and has stayed that way, and suede is the lightest feeling of all and when I put on my first pair I thought they were the wrong size because they felt so much "less tight" than the others.

Having said that, I tried a pair of boots yesterday which had a leather insole for the first time in a while and they felt very slightly looser in the same size than the comfort insole, but not by much. I guess there is a little more material in the insole with the comfort, but I think it all start moulding and stretching to your foot with wear anyway. I'd rather have it fit more snug to start with and then have it mould to my foot with wear, they end up feeling better that way.

2. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Question about suede RMs. I got a pair of great looking navy suede Blaxland boots yesterday from an outlet, great price and great looking. They looked really blue in store and when I got them home.

Then I put two coats of RM suede protector on them and they got a fair bit darker and now they look almost black, it's actually very hard to tell they are any kind of blue anymore. They're still a lovely boot but I'm a little bit upset because they were a really lovely shade of navy blue.

Does anyone know if this kind of darkening that happens with suede protector is permanent or will fade back to their proper colour with a little bit of time and wear? I knew it was possible that they could get darker, but I didn't think it would happen that much.

3. JackTru

JackTru Active Member

Wondering if anyone else has noticed/knows the answer behind some of the discrepancy in the toe shape on different Gardener boots. I tried on a pair in 9G, and eventually bought a pair in 9.5H that came recently. Didn't notice until I looked at the photo of my 9G's but the toe on them was much more rounded, whereas the pair I received had a more squared/chiseled end (though still more 'round' than a craftsmen model). Is it just because of the width? Seems odd that a size difference could cause such a change in shape.

When looking up stock images for the Gardeners I've know noticed that some have the more blunt toe, and some the more rounded. Just wondering if there's any rhyme or reason to it! Can't really decide which I prefer, not that it matters at this point.

As you can see in the photos, the 9G is much more round/pointer (its next to a craftsmen model) and the 9.5H is much more like a craftsmen in its toe shape.

IMG_9293.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

4. corgi invasion

corgi invasion Member

went to the George St and QVB stores when visiting Sydney last week. The new ownership as lead to a rather bizarre business concept for selling shoes. Hardly any actual shoes in the shop, just a few exemplars on a table, and leather swatches, no price listings but you could tell the prices would be terrifying. I guess the best prices are online anyway, but I miss the old shop I remember (a shoe shop, with shoes in it, and people trying on shoes, helpful salespeople). If everything has to be ordered anyway, this takes away the last instant gratification incentive for a retail purchase.

5. camysue

camysue Member

Just scratched the top of my yearlings. I have the rm Williams conditioner at home. Will that suffice? Anyone have tips for scratches?