1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JosephD

JosephD Well-Known Member

I have a pair that offer me enough room between the end of my longest toe and the tip of the boot, however due to the toe box being so short, when I walk my toe runs into this. It isn't extremely uncomfortable but it's very noticeable and I definitely would not describe these as being some of my most comfortable shoes like some people here. Do I need to size up?

2. meister

meister Well-Known Member

talking to my cobbler who is a full trained shoemaker and has worked on a lot of RMs. He tells me the inner sole is now a cardboard flex material and if you want leather you have to but the $1K special jobs with the sign off. Is this true?

3. zeddog

zeddog New Member

Hi All
    Work mate is moving these on and came to me as I have a pair of the buckle boots.
    However these are different
    Can someone help?
    1. What are they called .?What's the story with place forcstrap AND elastic with a rod on leather in the elastic too
    2. What is the leather It's somewhat 'bubbled' but does not look like emu to me.
    [​IMG]

Thanks

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I don't know about cardboard but they have a fibreglass shank. The comfort craftsman and dynamic flex models are incredibly comfortable.

1 person likes this.
  5. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

^ +1 for the comfort craftsman. thanks Oli for recommending them to me.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I love these and wear these several times a week. I think they are my fave shoes of all time. I get compliments all the time as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Let me take a shot:

1. The RM Williams Jodhpur with the buckle missing.
    2. Kangaroo.

8. tylernim

tylernim Well-Known Member

What are bootsonline's business hours?

I called and placed an order with Barry Wednesday night EST. My CC was declined while I was sleeping. I replied to Bridget who emailed me with my order form letting me know. I called the bank got it cleared etc for the next attempt.

I tried to call last night...Thursday EST a number of times to try and make sure the order processed. Nobody picked up from 11AM-2PM AU time. They did not attempt to run my CC again. Lastly I never got an email reply.

Are they closed on Fridays?

I was already cutting it close on my pair being delivered in time for an event that I would really like/need them for. At this point I think they will not arrive on time as their weekend has started.

9. Bingham

Bingham Well-Known Member

newbie to RM Williams here- I'm looking to upgrade from my Blundstones and had a quick question:

I am wanting something dressier than the Blunnies and with a narrower toe box- can anyone speak to the Turnouts? Are they as wide as the Gardener? Not sure if I want to go as narrow as the Craftsman, but perhaps.

10. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Macquarie style might be your choice.

11. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

How is the fit compared to the craftsman? I have an 8F width craftsman and was told 8G would be the pick as it has less space in the toe region. Haven't pulled the trigger as it's a MTO boot so a refund is off the cards.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

In my experience the Macquarie has more room in the toe than the Craftsman as it is higher and has more volume. Width-wise they are about the same although optically the Macquarie looks narrower.

13. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

If that is the case, would you recommend sticking with an 8F in the macquarie?

14. Lucido

Lucido Well-Known Member

Since your location is listed as being in Australia, why not pop into an RMW store and try on both the Craftsman and the Macquarie so that you can figure out your size and preferred last shape and then place the MTO order?

15. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

I've tried that - as above mentioned, they don't have the Macquarie in their flagship store as it's a made to order boot. i was recommended to try on the yearling boot as it's essentially the same boot but with a higher heel; because of the higher heel, the foot tended to slide forward so it didn't really give an accurate feel and depiction of the macquarie.

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

It all depends on your unique foot shape of course but for the record I wear a 9G in the Craftsman, 9G in the Macquarie and 9H in the comfort craftsman (which run a bit narrower IMO possibly due to the internal padding). I agree about the Yearling not being a good surrogate for the fit of the Macquarie due to the high heel...

17. Lucido

Lucido Well-Known Member

Apologies, I didn't realise that the Macquarie was a MTO only. I had assumed you were just submitting an order for a custom makeup.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  18. 90shilling

90shilling Well-Known Member

@Prince of Paisley @Tck13 - thanks to your photos and stellar reviews, I picked up a pair of chocolate suede Comfort Craftsmans. The comfort, construction, and versatility are terrific.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Lucido

Lucido Well-Known Member

Those are stunning @90shilling

You and @Prince of Paisley are seriously making me regret opting for the lighter mid-brown suede.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  20. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about getting the black suede as well... Don't forget a suede brush and some waterproof spray as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016