Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Steve runs Nungar. To get an MTO order you still have to email Steve!

The proper term is "screwed leather sole" (I keep wanting to call it "nailed construction" because the German is "holzgenagelt").

There are pictures of all of the different lasts in my original thread. The B529 is a round toe last. The Craftsman is on the chisel toe last (B543).

If you wear a UK 10.5 in Loakes then I would suggest F width if the Loakes is an average fit. I am convinced RMWs run a bit wide especially with thinner, stretchy leathers like veal calf and especially so with kangaroo. If you prefer a looser fit G (standard) would work well too with yearling leather.

If you can find your AE size especially in Park Avenues it would be good because it is better tested. I've yet to get feedback on using Loakes as a yardstick.

Thanks so much Sator, that was extremely helpful. You may as well get a job with RMW after all the input you've put in this thread! [​IMG]

Last question: does the Whiskey color only come in the Comfort Craftsman? If so, other than padding, is there any other difference between the Comfort and regular?

2. Sator

Sator Senior member

Last question: does the Whiskey color only come in the Comfort Craftsman? If so, other than padding, is there any other difference between the Comfort and regular?

The whiskey was a limited edition that came out a couple of seasons ago. I hear that RMW have limited stock left of that leather which is now available only as a custom order. If you see any RTW boots in that leather they are old stock.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The Comfort has a rubber sole. But somebody here (was it edmorel?) Got a leather-soled pair from Steve at Nungar. I've got a rubber-soled pair on order myself, but the Aussies, it seems, have taken a month off for Christmas.

4. william

william Senior member

The Comfort has a rubber sole. But somebody here (was it edmorel?) Got a leather-soled pair from Steve at Nungar. I've got a rubber-soled pair on order myself, but the Aussies, it seems, have taken a month off for Christmas.

Yeah that's what I was told as well. Weird.

I got a bit of good news today from Steve though. Seems my pair of replacement boots is being shipped out tomorrow...REGISTERED mail this time [​IMG]

5. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Ah, I see; thanks guys! I sincerely hope they have some of that leather left. I emailed Steve today so we'll see.

[​IMG]

6. broady

broady Senior member

Interesting. I have never spoken to Steve over the phone. Everything has been done via email with only the time difference delay's. He actually just emailed me.

Wow. I emailed asking the approximate shipping costs and he emailed back the next day at 9AM asking my phone number

Then rang me that afternoon.

Does anyone have an idea of the shipping times from Nungar to Sydney?

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

Does anyone have an idea of the shipping times from Nungar to Sydney?

He uses the Aussie Post one day service. So the answer is: one working day!

8. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Got an email back from Steve and a quote!

I was wondering if you guys knew much about the sewn welt non-slip composite soles, as seen here:

[​IMG]

How are these constructed? Do they build the shoe as normal, with a leather sole/heel and then sew the rubber on top? Is it a coating over the leather? Does it make the boot noticeably 'higher'? Also, do you think they can add these to all the boots (I am getting mine MTO anyway)? Cheers!

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The rubber sole is sewn on to the welt in place of the leather sole. So yes, it is still welted construction, no, it is not noticeably higher, no, there is no leather sole underneath. I would think, at a minimum, that they could add them to a shoe on any last for which they offer the rubber sole as an option.

The particular boot looks like it has a cuban heel, or at least a block heel--a higher one, in any case, than the standard one.

10. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

The rubber sole is sewn on to the welt in place of the leather sole. So yes, it is still welted construction, no, it is not noticeably higher, no, there is no leather sole underneath. I would think, at a minimum, that they could add them to a shoe on any last for which they offer the rubber sole as an option.

The particular boot looks like it has a cuban heel, or at least a block heel--a higher one, in any case, than the standard one.

Thanks man. I just ordered the Yearling Craftsman in "Whiskey" with the composite sole. I need a boot that is a tad more suitable for wet wear and I think this will be better to have then a standard leather sole for rainy days. Hopefully it is as tough as it looks. Now all I have to do is wait a month......

[​IMG]

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I've ordered the same boot. We'll see how long it takes. My first (ordered) pair of RMWs never arrived at all. [​IMG]

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about this boot that doesn't appear on pediwear's web site. But I thought that in the interests of accuracy, I should point out that Grenson makes what appears to be a wholecut chelsea boot. Or made. These may be on closeout. But FWIW:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=407

[​IMG]

Unless, given the double tags and some other features, these are actually RMWs rebranded.

Did anyone ever figure anything out about these Grenson boots? Anyone care to bet whether they're made by RMW?

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Did anyone ever figure anything out about these Grenson boots? Anyone care to bet whether they're made by RMW?

i seriously doubt it. what would make you think that, besides the fact that it is a wholecut?

14. william

william Senior member

Got my RM Williams Craftsman in chestnut today.

I hate to rain on the parade, and even though I like them alright, they're no match for my Polo Reddings. Not nearly as elegant nor is the leather as rich. Retail comparison is: Reddings $650 and RM Williams $250 ...so I guess the differences between the two are reflected in the price. I was just under the impression that the Williams were a bargain. They seem about right for the price to me. I guess I might get flamed for my opinion on this but so be it.

I'll still use them, and maybe I'll like them more once they've been worn a while. I can't get that great of a shine out them yet (Yearling), and that's after two applications of leather conditioner and three coats of wax.

I'm still looking forward to Sator's forum model though!

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think you'll get flamed, Chris. But I can't think of any other shoe I can buy at retail* for $250 that can match the RM Williams. Certainly beats the daylights out of its closest competitor, AE's Taunton, at least in my book.

*Meaning always available at that price, not just on sale or eBay