• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Just some extra questions that have been circling my mind over the past few months (that I might as well ask whilst I'm signed in this time):

1) Concerning the Buckle boots: to anyone that has owned them, do the buckle boots follow the same sizing as the standard Craftsmans?

2) Concerning the Rigger boots: Do they follow the same sizing as the Comfort Craftsmans?

Thank you.

aget19

Reaction score
What do you gents use to polish your RMW? How is the stockmans polish sold from RMW?

what's your usual care routine? Do you use the leather conditioner?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you gents use to polish your RMW? How is the stockmans polish sold from RMW?

Leather conditioner whenever the shoes look thirsty. Stockman's boot polish 2-3 times a year if that.

I usually use Oakwood or RMWs leather conditioner and the Stockman's boot polish. Unlike Saphir I find it has a very natural, earthy smell.

milw50717

Reaction score

What leather are your boots made of and what sort of a finish do you want ?

Generally speaking, the prior advice of conditioner + polish will work, but certain leathers require different regimes. Some conditioners/oils take a coat of polish better than others.

My yard boots used to get oil + polish when I used to wear them to the office. Now that they are relegated to garden work they get more oil then polish

Last edited:

havingaraveup

Reaction score
Just some extra questions that have been circling my mind over the past few months (that I might as well ask whilst I'm signed in this time):

1) Concerning the Buckle boots: to anyone that has owned them, do the buckle boots follow the same sizing as the standard Craftsmans?

2) Concerning the Rigger boots: Do they follow the same sizing as the Comfort Craftsmans?

Thank you.
I've come up with a strange regimen for my black yearling Macquaries.

I used Renovateur or Venetian Shoe Cream, let them sit, then, apply a very, very thin layer of obenaufs heavy duty LP. I do this to super condition the shoes and give them a bit of waterproofing, but without killing the ability to take a shine. From there, it's saphir polish in black, a few coats. I've been wearing them HEAVY for a month and they still look great. A bit of creasing, but as I've read, that's to be expected with yearling and RMs. I'm going to baby them with treatment, but not hold back in wear, so I hope that makes it last longest.

Lear

Reaction score
I also had my screwed sole RM's Topy covered. Best thing for this poverty stricken SF member. I have no regrets whatsoever. Without, one has to visit the RM store in Bond Street, have them shipped to Australia, then wait many weeks for their return. Can't be doing with all that hassle, and the thought of having my sole ripped out upsets.

Lear

Gonzo9

Reaction score
What's going on with the heel pad inside my boots. They are Sydney 2000 Commemorative Craftsmen Boots. 14 years old lightly used.

Last edited:

havingaraveup

Reaction score
What's going on with the heel pad inside my boots. They are Sydney 2000 Commemorative Craftsmen Boots. 14 years old lightly used.

This guy had his RMs resoled and seemed to have a similar problem before:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?109646-Resoling-RM-Williams-boots

The nailbed, i think, was sticking through the heel of the insole, and it was making it uncomfortable. If your boots are a bit of a pain to wear, I would assume its this. If not, then I would assume the glue has dried and given way and has started letting that pad sort of bubble with moisture and air, which isn't a big deal.

However, these boots are 14 years old—based on price history, that was before RM hiked it up a bunch, and the wear on the soles and heels, look like theyve been worn 10 times, which, roughly is about once every 16 months. I think you can safely wear these and not have to worry too much.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. They don't hurt my feet yet. RMW NY quoted $25-$30 to replace the "heel lining". $99 for a full resole/reheel.

milw50717

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. They don't hurt my feet yet. RMW NY quoted $25-$30 to replace the "heel lining". $99 for a full resole/reheel.

That $99 includes shipping back to Oz for repair or local repair using correct last ?

Gonzo9

Reaction score
$99 includes local repair in NY with RMW components from AU.

milw50717

Reaction score

$99 includes local repair in NY with RMW components from AU.

Thanks. Thought it was a bit cheap for return trip to land down under. I'd assume that they use a good cobbler in NYC. You might find it is slightly cheaper to go direct to a cobbler and use good quality generic parts.

cmd06

Reaction score
I'm frustrated because I realized today that my second pair of MTO Craftsman (on the common B543 last with screwed leather soles and veal calf) fit much tighter compared to the same size and same last for the yearling leather boots with Goodyear welted soles. The toe box is too small in width, and whenever my foot bends as I walk, that crease just below the plastic toe stiffener digs into my skin.

I don't know if the tight toe box and painful crease is because of the veal calf leather or the screwed soles.

As much as I love the sleeker look and finer grained leather, the comfort of the standard yearling leather with Goodyear welted is amazing. I wear a 9.5 D in the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I advise getting the 8.5 G for the yearling leather/welted sole/B543 last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads