1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. edwardh123

edwardh123 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. zenith3000

zenith3000 New Member

Dears,
    I would love to buy a pair pf Comfort Craftsmen.
    However, I'm still wondering about the color: Rum or Chestnut.
    The boots should be for all/ every day use.
    Because I have to order them directly I won't have the opportunity of a live view for comparing both colours.
    Does anyone own boots in both colours or can forward an image of both colours side by side?
    I'd be glad for suggestions.
    Thanks a lot.

3. kaspal

kaspal Member

Hey guys, I've had a pair of comfort craftsman for about 3 weeks now and while they fit perfectly, I've developed a pain in the left foot where the boot creases just before the toe box (pictured) and sort of digs into my foot.

Has anyone dealt with this before? [​IMG]

4. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

They look too big for your foot, that is absolutely excessive creasing.

1 person likes this.
  6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Well, I think he talked about boots without laces. However, the elastic on the side of chelsea boots might mitigate the effect of using shoe trees.

However, I don't use shoe trees with my RMs, and they don't crease nearly as much as those did.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. soaped

soaped Senior member

Chestnut on the left, rum on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    3 people like this.
  10. kaspal

kaspal Member

What difference would that make?

They are definitely not too big, they are very fitted actually almost tight. I do have small feet 5.5 F (the G was comfortable but leather was loose). I'm sort of deliberately creasing them for the picture.

Surely someone else has had this problem? It doesn't happen with my other foot :( Does it just need to be further broken in?

11. zenith3000

zenith3000 New Member

Thanks! Which color you'd suggest to be most suit for casual purpose, as blue jeans etc.
    My gut feeling is Rum ...

12. soaped

soaped Senior member

My pair of rum has way more color variation and looks even lighter outdoors. Based off color alone I would say rum is definitely the more casual color.

13. EssPi

EssPi New Member

Well, I'm on to my sixth pair. I wear them every single day. I have work boots, black and chestnut kangaroo riding boots... LOL, not for riding kangaroos! :) RM Williams just put their recommended retail price up to $495. I buy mine from http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog. They sell them for $365.00 plus well priced postage, I think around $15 to anywhere in Australia. I've heard that they will post worldwide, too.
    I've just looked up their direct link to RM Williams boots. It is http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/index.php/cPath/48_415.
    Nungar's pricing is awesome and they are good to deal with. Check them out.

14. casio

casio New Member

Anybody else notice that lately the chestnut craftsman colour looks lighter with a reddish tinge? comparing it to older ones made over a year ago. I was in store and old models on display look quite different from the one I went to buy and I checked a few. Dont like the new colour, the old chestnut was much darker and had a relatively unique colour.

15. cpfall

cpfall Member

16. matt5120

matt5120 New Member

I bought a pair of yearling craftsman a few years back (around 2012) and recently had them sent down to the factory for a resole and relast. When they came back however, it turns out that they had somehow managed to damage the leather and they agreed to replace them with a brand new pair.

What I've noticed though is that the leather on the new pair is considerably softer and more malleable, to the point where they almost seem too big. Is this a change in all new boots or is it just a strange pair?

17. casio

casio New Member

Yep its a lot softer but in a bad way. I feel like quality has really dropped in past year or so.

18. lanceteer

lanceteer New Member

I popped by the Perth RMW outlet store at Watertown (previously known as Harbourtown) yesterday and the prices have been increased on the factory seconds even. Most pairs in the outlet are priced at $350. This includes leftover large sizes (11-12) or previous season's colours of Craftsman and Comfort Craftsman boots, old stock of French calf boots, unsold MTO boots, and pairs of true factory seconds, which have some sort of defect on them (these boot are marked with a punched hole at the ankle top).

That's a pretty steep increase from $275 a pair at the end of 2015, keeping in line with the price increases on the factory 'firsts'. Just thought I'd keep the thread updated.

1 person likes this.
  19. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Ok, i might be looking to purchase a pair of Comfort Craftsman. I wear size 9d in Alllen Edmond strands. So, looking at the original sizing post from the op of this thread, should i be looking at a size 8F in the Comfort Craftsman, based on this info from the op:

1. Based on the Fit of a Allen Edmonds Park Avenues (Nr 5 Last)

AE PA size minus one and drop down one width (RMWs run wide).

Example for if you wear size 10s in an AE Park Ave:

AE PA size 10EE = RMW size 9H
    AE PA size 10E = RMW size 9G (medium)
    AE PA size 10D (medium) = RMW size 9F
    AE PA size 10C = RMW size 9E

G width is medium width in RMW sizing.
    D width is medium width in US sizing.
    If you drop down one width and you normally wear AE D width your best width is F width in RMWs.

I wear size 8D in AE PAs so my size in RMW is 7F. This conversion also works for other AE models made on the Nr 5 last.

For US based forum members this is rapidly becoming the method of choice for choosing your RMW size and works best for the veal calf and kangaroo Craftsman. Yearling leather is a bit thicker and less stretchy so you should consider going up a width.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

LMAO.... dude, you wearing a scarf on your feet. Take them back.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016